The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Sawmill set-up  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Tallwoodsman

• 80 acres of woods
    • Share Post
Sawmill set-up
« on: August 24, 2018, 08:39:51 PM »
I'm new here and have learned a lot just lurking.  I want to purchase a portable sawmill, preferably a LT40.  I was wondering if it's reasonable to assume I can set up the mill close to where I have the trees down.  Are slight inclines ok, or is a level surface a must.  Is it too much trouble to move to every tree that's down?  I realize it would be tight turning around in the woods but would pulling logs a log way to a landing be better?
Tom

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Sawmill set-up
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »
Yes, bring the logs to the mill, not vice versa. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 10:55:38 PM »
The more level the terrain is the better because the sawmill needs to be level.  If there is any incline, I like the logs uphill for easier rolling.  All of the logs bunched together at a landing is certainly better but I have set up on a tree and moved forward each time to the next log.  Yes it takes time.

I sawed one entire job where the logs were strung out along a steep roadway.  In this instance when I finished sawing a log I moved up to the next log.  The entire job was charged "hourly rate".

Here is a huge Pecan tree that had blown over and I moved up to each log as I sawed.

Another picture of the Pecan tree.

And finally the butt log.  Yes that is Poison Ivy.

A blown over yard tree that I moved the sawmill each time I finished sawing a log.

There is no set answer.  I only custom saw so whatever the customer wants and is willing to pay for, I do.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 06:39:17 AM »

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Tallwoodsman!

~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 07:44:59 AM »
That is one nasty smiley_devil.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 08:33:11 AM »
It was also huge.  You can see the chain where I had to use the log clamp to help the loader.

Here are some pictures of where/how the Water Oak and Pecan lumber was used:

There was no waste.  That guy used every scrap somewhere. ::)

I took these pictures the second time that I sawed for him and I sat on that bench to eat my breakfast.  The wainscotting was in the bedroom where I slept.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 07:22:54 AM »
If your just dubbing around go ahead and chase the trees if your trying to turn a buck have them stacked or have a machine to handle them. Its enough trouble to setup and level a mill that you won't want to repeat for every log. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 07:48:05 AM »

When I sawed for the Amish they had logs scattered all over, they took a team of horses and drug them to the mill as I was sawing.  Steve
Timberking B20 15000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 08:02:02 AM »
I have no problem with moving the sawmill @ $75 per hour. 

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 08:30:55 AM »
Let's just say it's highly preferable to have a machine to move logs.  The other question is, what are you doing with the lumber coming off the mill?  If you're in the woods, you don't want to stack it there, do you? Staying in the woods would also add the work of getting the lumber out, which is more doable once sawn into lumber.  But I'd really rather move the logs to the mill, and have the mill where the lumber will need to be stacked.  Another question is, what are you going to do with the slabs?  I guess you could leave them in the woods to rot, but I would not prefer that if it's my woods.  I'd want them up by the lumber so I could cut them into firewood, or offer them up free to others for firewood.  If you're going to have such a nice hydraulic mill, I'd want a machine to support it.  I prefer a tractor forklift conversion cause it's rough terrain and tight enough turning without tearing the ground up.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 08:56:24 AM »
Set the mill as close and as level as possible.  Get a log arch and or a portable winch move the logs to the mill.

Midsize Arches - LogRite Tools LLC
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Wood-Mizer LT40 Super- Wide HDG38
Lucas Dedicated 60" Slabber

Offline Ea$y Money

• I know enough to be dangerous!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 10:35:56 AM »
Magicman:

You say the sawmill needs to be level? Can you help me understand how I might get by without it being level? Also, just to clarify what we are talking about as far as level. I ask because I will have a mill on my property soon and I have 2 directions... Up & Down.

If I have my my deck supported so there is no twisting; that seems to me to be priority #1 and a non-starter if not satisfied. Then the frame level from side to side; this seems to be an issue with the loading of the log? Lastly, what about end to end?

Curious to why the last 2 would have much of an effect if your mill is relative to the log deck/rails?

New guy here, just curious and making sure I understand what "level" means to the pros.
The harder you work, the luckier you get.

Timberking 1400 w/Diesel engine and Setworks, IH 986, Kubota M5-091, Lincoln Pipeliner SA-250 Diesel Welder, F450 4x4 Chassis Cab, Lots of Stihl, Warn 8274 Winch.

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 02:43:57 PM »
Magicman:

You say the sawmill needs to be level? Can you help me understand how I might get by without it being level? Also, just to clarify what we are talking about as far as level. I ask because I will have a mill on my property soon and I have 2 directions... Up & Down.

If I have my my deck supported so there is no twisting; that seems to me to be priority #1 and a non-starter if not satisfied. Then the frame level from side to side; this seems to be an issue with the loading of the log? Lastly, what about end to end?

Curious to why the last 2 would have much of an effect if your mill is relative to the log deck/rails?

New guy here, just curious and making sure I understand what "level" means to the pros.
GRAVITY !   As soon as you stop forward or backward motion the mill head will drift downhill.  You'll also have difficulty controlling cutting speed if the far end is downhill as you are cutting.  The head will move downhill on its own.   If you are not level side to side the logs will want to roll when ever you need to adjust to rotate.   Your mill will also be top heavy if you raise the head all the way up and it is sitting sideways.  This could be extremely dangerous. 
Your best and safest bet is to set and level the mill on the most flat spot you can find near the logs, then move the logs to the mill.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Wood-Mizer LT40 Super- Wide HDG38
Lucas Dedicated 60" Slabber

Offline Tallwoodsman

• 80 acres of woods
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 04:19:33 PM »
Great advice from everyone, thanks.  We are making a road and the dozer operator usually pushes the logs to the side.  I guess I'll have him make me a couple of level landings and get the logs as close as he can.  I have a tractor to get them the rest of the way.  Which leads to my next question.  I want to invest in a 3 point logging winch.  Do they work like they should? 

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 05:56:24 PM »
I have two 2' and two 4' 2X12's that travel in my pickup bed and also several shorter blocks that travel in the sawmill seat.  I don't like to stack anything up that might be unsafe, but I do occasionally have to pull one side or the other of the sawmill up onto some of these boards to level the sawmill bed.  I don't mine  bubble high on the loader side and also on the front of the sawmill but that is about my limit of un-level that I will accept.  If I can't get it at least that level then I need a plan "B".

The boards also come in handy when I set up at a sorta swampy/soft area.  They keep the wheels/outriggers from sinking.  Of course I also may "pave" the walking area around the sawmill with sawdust to keep me from sinking.  ;D

Offline millwright

• Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 07:44:34 PM »
You want to be pretty level and solid the length of the bed, otherwise the lumber may vary in thickness.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 08:29:45 AM »
The LT40's don't need to be level, real close should be good!

The biggest thing is the mill needs solid footing and support!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 08:58:18 AM »
I want to invest in a 3 point logging winch. Do they work like they should?
Logging winches are very handy for handling and moving logs but remember that skidding logs fill the bark with dirt, rocks, etc. which are murder on your sawblades.  Get the log's nose up so that only the tail is dragging but of course better yet is a FEL or LogRite Log Arch so that the logs never touch the ground.

As far as "level" goes, after a couple of unlevel sawing situations you will know where your level "comfort level" is.  Experience is the best teacher.  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Portable Sawmill Special Deal - SAVE 10% on your Sawmill!

Started by HSV on Peterson Portable Sawmills

1 Replies
Last post March 10, 2015, 10:34:01 PM
by jamieotter
xx
sawmill advice what is the best sawmill

Started by KY colonel on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post February 24, 2017, 01:09:51 PM
by KY colonel
xx
Sawmill