iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What up Benches?

Started by doc henderson, February 06, 2019, 10:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

doc henderson

so now we will see if the yellow oxidizes and turns brown from the sun.  i assume the sugar is all gone after sitting for 2 years.  no yellow marker for me, too big.  i will try to get spar urethane on it tomorrow.  does anyone know any more details about mulberry and the color change?  @GeneWengert-WoodDoc   @WDH @tule peak timber 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

I suspect that it is inevitable. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

Certainly a nice build you are posting. I have very little experience with Mulberry out in this neck of the woods.Have you ever messed with wood bleaches, the two part or oxalic acid? You can get a small 2 part kit from any marine supply place, just make sure to wear gloves ! Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Larry

Quote from: WDH on September 11, 2020, 07:55:15 PM
I suspect that it is inevitable.
I agree, but a couple of things can slow it.  I shoot a lot of Sherwin Williams CAB Lacquer and it has UV inhibitor added.

I have a friend that does museum quality wood turnings from colored tropical woods.  She uses oil finishes topped with suntan lotion.  I'm not privileged to the exact recipe. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

doc henderson

Hedge also has the same yellow color when fresh.  both will brown within hours to days.  just wondering about the chemistry, and therefore how to slow it.  As mentioned, I can finish ERC purple with spar uv inhibiting urethane, and it still slowly turns brown.  thanks guys.  @Larry what kind of swim suit does your lady friend wear as she does the finishing and turning?...  smiley_gorgeous thumbs-up :o :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

a little spar urethane today.  I extended a crack from the outer wood, when I was trying to turn a leg in the mortice to get it straight.  It is easier to align them with two legs in and use a straight edge.  I use a pipe wrench to turn it, as my tenons are tight.  you only have a few minutes before the glue turns from lube to sticky.  so I glued that crack.

this is a satin finish but photographed wet for effect.  you can see the grain soaking it up.  wanting to see if the 2 year old bench blank will retain its color with uv stable urethane.  Mulberry.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

The crack would have happened anyway in that grain pattern. I've seen it happen many times in maple where the end of a plank had that grain pattern.

Nice bench. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

you are prob. right SD on the crack.  but the 2 foot pipe wrench I used trying to turn the leg in line did not help! 8)

kantuckid

Quote from: doc henderson on September 12, 2020, 09:41:59 AM
Hedge also has the same yellow color when fresh.  both will brown within hours to days.  just wondering about the chemistry, and therefore how to slow it.  As mentioned, I can finish ERC purple with spar uv inhibiting urethane, and it still slowly turns brown.  thanks guys.  @Larry what kind of swim suit does your lady friend wear as she does the finishing and turning?...  smiley_gorgeous thumbs-up :o :D :D :D
I've made my kitchen island stools from KS hedge wood(Osage Orange to me) and one large Appalachian style /hickory bark rocking chair. Once finished with WATCO Danish oil or WATCO Poly Wipe it slows down but still darkens. I made a small violin shaped stool years ago and it's very dark ~25-30+ years later. Same for a LR table lamp I turned from a Shawnee Co corner post-very dark!
FWIW that wood came from a circle mill nearby to Lake Perry, KS where the man(no doubt he's gone now) cut lots of it for mostly stock trailer flooring.
Sassafras looks a bit like Mulberry butr sometimes has a greenish tint.
ERC when finished with lacquer stays reddish a long time, same with poly coats. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

doc henderson

my nephew Tucker is coming home from Georgia, and brining the kids.  we have met one and not the other.  working on a welcome gift for the great nephew and niece.  

firefighter ontheside

Doc, do you save and dry the slab wood from milling to make benches?  YOu may have addressed that earlier in the thread, but I didn't read it all.  Now that I have a tenon cutter and see these benches, I guess I have a use for what I normally burn.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

yes.  as you know some flitches come off thick and thin and out of round, getting to the cant.  If you see one in the pile after sawing the looks like it is fairly symmetric, and even,  put it in the shop.  after a while you will look at them and see "benches".  the trouble is if you start to see benches in every chunk of firewood.  it is good to have dry leg stock as well.  so if you get to the bottom of a cant, and are left with a 1.5 inch board, cut it up for legs.  for these two I had some cedar stock I had planed square for poss. use in a eagle scout walking stick.  made it into legs.  If leg stock is wet, it may loosen the tenon later as it dries.  a wet seat (on the bench :o) and dry legs will tighten over time.  I do not like to go through the bench seat as it can have blow out around the edges, and I feel a solid top surface will help shed water.  and what ever you do, do not trim the legs all at once on your sawmill.   :D :D :D ;) ;) ;)  @WV Sawmiller .  we all have our ways, and I have learned a lot from everyone here.  If it makes you feel better, I made 1 inch tenons on the legs, and grabbed the forstner bit in the 1 inch slot, and made the seat mortices.  it was 1 & 1/8 inch.  so I re-drilled them up to 1 & 1/4 and cut the tenons off and redid them at 1 & also.  my great niece and nephew will never know.  :) I made standards for cutting legs for 8 and 10 inch bench height overall so will have that in the future.  I glue the tenons with titebond 3 and have never had a loose leg.  I broke one once as it was on the out feed side of the planer and I had dropped the table, and it broke off a leg as the board came out.  after milling walnut, I saw all kinds of benches, but was trying to clean up the pile.  so I cut them into bench/stool seat blanks and put them on a pallet.  I like to follow the curves so the ends are symmetric in size and shape.  the best you can in nature.  so you are lucky to have only one cutter so you do not mismatch them.  I used to always do a test fit in scrap, but thought I had out grown that.  good luck with your wet seats and broken legs

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

I resemble that remark. >:( :D How do you know I don't use my through and through mortises so moisture can seep in and swell and tighten the tenons (Actually I just thought of that as an explanation and I may use that more in the future. ;)). And I stand by my use of my sawmill to cut all the legs at the same time. It is the most consistent and fastest way I know and have to cut the same height and angle. But to each his own - I am  a rough carpenter and don't have the equipment, shop and skills many of you guys do so I muddle through as best I can.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

I just like to poke the bear!  your stuff is great.  these are stools for a 1 and 5 y/o, so very small and a soft wood to clamp on the mill.  I have some 8 foot oak and catalpa benches in que that I promise will go on the mill.  I had to much tear out with the through stuff, but will use a backing board if I do it in the future.  putting the last finish on this am, and will pass them on this afternoon.  I have made several things for the nieces kids who live nearby, but the first for my nephews kids, as they live in another state.  here are a few more pics.

In the warmer to speed up curing the finish.  can recoat about every 30 minutes.

I removed the loose ERC bark but stopped at what is inner bark or cambium.  cleaner and more interesting than sapwood on the bottom  

close up of my "non-through" tenon

firefighter ontheside

Well, from now on I will start saving some of that stuff.  Mom and dad are still going to get plenty of firewood from me, but I cringe sometimes throwing stuff away that could be used for something like this.  Once you get a system of producing these, they won't take a lot of time to build, unless I want to laser the seats.  I have a friend out in California who is always making benches and I have seen him put them on his LT15 upside down to level the legs.  I think I will go against Doc's advice and use the mill.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

i think it will work well for a full size bench.  these little stools are 7.5 x 14.5, and nt much purchase. there are various levels of rustic, and I do nt want to mar the edge.  It took me about 2 hours for the two stools.  that include having to resize the tenons and mortices.  I had them almost done with 3 coats of finish.  i mentioned her name to my son, who said i think it is Cambrie not Cambridge.  I said no, I asked uncle (grandpa to Cambrie) Eric and he even spelled it for me twice in a text... yes you guessed it, auto correct dictating text.  so one pass over the magic eraser (jointer) and re engrave, and a couple coats of urethane.  sorry Cambrie.  Uncle Eric is sorry too and will have a beer waiting for me when we get there.

after the jonter and sanded and back in the laser.  

two coats of urethane and back in the warmer

my arsenal of jigs to cut the legs from 8 to 16 inch,  ... so I do not have to do them on the sawmill. :D :D :D  better for the teeny stools I think.  If you do them by hand and they are not even, it is easy to get turned around when you flip them to sand a little off the leg.  I either flip holding on to the longer 2 legs, and or leave some saw dust on the table saw, and with some semi dry urethane, it will show the spots that are touching.

farmfromkansas

Now you guys are getting my interest, so I have an old wood lathe that mostly use for making replacement knots, turn them a little tapered so drive them into the knothole, after cleaning out the bark, and gluing then drive them in tight and saw them off.  Looks better to have a wood knot than bondo, but think it would work to make legs for stools. Don't have a radial drill press, will have to work out a way of drilling holes on angle.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

doc henderson

you can eyeball the legs and use a hand drill.  you can make a compound bed for your drill press.  the lathe would work well in that the tenon will follow the line of the leg.  I work hard to make my mortices all even, but a little angle on the tenon and it is out of wack.  if I am thinking, I can turn it and make it fit.  my first benches look whimsical with legs at all diff. angels, some even the opposite of what I intended.  I do glam-rustic, so not as rough as they could be.  I have made dozens for kids, and I try to make the stools kid proof.  you can check your drill press.  some allow the bed to tip down in front.  you are halfway there.  i do about 13° angles in both directions.  so if you can tip the bed forward, you can leave it there.  then make a jig/accessory bed at 13° that can be moved side to side (to reverse the angle).  I rarely if ever change the front angle.  and you can make you side to side be adjustable.  Mine is easy to change the front angle and the side to side, but now that I have establish the angle, I stick with it.  

doc henderson

I plan to try the octagonal legs some time, especially for thicker legs.  many of mine are 1.5 to 2 inches square with 1/8th in round over edges.   :o   :D   8)  @WV Sawmiller @Old Greenhorn

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

I am not sure what you mean by 1.5-2 inch round over edges.

I have about landed on 2.25" X 2.25" leg stock and I knock the corners off on the table saw with an angled blade. They don't have to be a perfect octagon just knock the corners off. They fit very well in the tenon cutter and are very comparable to round stock IMHO. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Quote from: doc henderson on April 20, 2021, 11:49:17 AM
I plan to try the octagonal legs some time, especially for thicker legs.  many of mine are 1.5 to 2 inches square with 1/8th in round over edges.   :o   :D   8)  @WV Sawmiller @Old Greenhorn
you left out the word square!   :)

these are mostly 1 seater stools.  I go up to 3 inch for benches.

Old Greenhorn

@farmfromkansas here is a video I made for Howard about a year ago, it is somewhere else on the forum but I couldn't find it. ;D Anyway, there are lots of ways to do these. Try not to over think it unless you are a pediatric ER Doc in need of a distraction. :D :)

[edit to add:] sorry forgot the video: 

Drilling angled holes through a log slab with a short tip Forestener bit to get the angle you want. - YouTube
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

my latest bench.  it is a 36 inch by 11 inch bench out of ERC.  it is from a slab we milled at Camp Alaska 2 years ago.  7% MC.  2 inch square legs, hit with a 1/2 inch radius round over bit.  tenons at 1.25 inch.  I later thought 1.5 inch might have been better/stronger.  for our outgoing scoutmaster of Troop !.  I am the new scoutmaster.  I have made benches for the past 3 scoutmasters.

WDH

That one is especially nice.  

Thank You Sponsors!