iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lets see your hand made workbench

Started by Bearpau, March 25, 2019, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearpau

Im working on building my workbench it started as an outfeed table for my saw stop but it grew as we went alng. Now it has holes for bench dogs and clamps, next it will be outfitted with a downdraft table since the holes are already there. Next it will get some drawers and storage ares for clamps and other stuff.

Wm LT 28 johne deere 5003 and a hard head.
Most of all a child of the King

WV Sawmiller

I don't have a neat indoor shop so I sort of use 2 places. One is a simple shelf about 2' wide X about 30" long made by nailing a couple of 2X4s to a locust upright on my log barn. It is where I put my planer to dress boards and has a vise mounted on the upright for making bench legs and such.

The other is on the end of my pole barn where I built a frame for my RAS. Nailed a couple of 2X4s with knee braces about 30" wide then a couple of 12' 2X4s long across/between the locust uprights and built the box frame for the RAS. I have a shelf with wooden bins for my hardware in one end and the RAS in the middle so can work in front of and on either side of it for projects. No picture available of it. Not pretty but works fine for most applications I use.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DeepWoods

i
 Found a use for some of the black ash that was left over from building our kitchen caninets a couple years ago.  I have been wanting a new bench for my garage and built this one.   I made a small mistake while counterboring the holes for the connecting bolts, it just happened to be the size needed for a quarter so i have since glued a 2018 Minnesota Loon quarter in the reccess, since that is when this bench was completed. 

Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

alan gage

Nice looking bench there, DeepWoods.

Has the river opened up yet?

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Bearpau

Looks like a good strong bench. Nice workmanship.

low_48

I've posted this picture before, built in the early 80s. Looks almost as good today. Wished that I had built it with drawers instead of doors. Still planning on doing that, someday! :D

Magicman

I don't believe that any discussion about work benches would be complete without a look at our late Forestry Forum member Andy White's workbench build:  Need A Roubo Heavy Bench!! in General Woodworking
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

MM
I miss Mr Whites post
I really enjoyed the bench one.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

hacknchop

MM thank you for the link I just read the entire work bench build not only was I impressed by it , I also found it very educational.  Again thank you! 
Often wrong never indoubt

Bandmill Bandit

3"x10"x10' pine on a welded steel frame. The ledge/edge at the back is to stop stuff falling down the back and to set little stuff on that you need off the bench but within reach.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Crusarius

How is the pine top holding up? what kind of abuse does that bench see?

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Crusarius on April 03, 2019, 07:37:08 AM
How is the pine top holding up? what kind of abuse does that bench see?
So far very well. It is Lodge Pole Pine so is on the harder side of the soft woods. 

I do a belt sand and revarnish every other spring with a marine spar varnish so it is a pretty durable  surface. I applied 6 generous coats when I built it. That was 15 years ago if I remember right.  

I'd say it gets a moderate level of abuse most of the time but sometimes it gets real hard abuse. 

It takes 4 guys grunting to move it and 6 makes it a comfortable move. I am gona guess it weighs in close to 500 lbs with the drawers empty.      
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bearpau

I mounted a woodworking vice in the new bench this week and getting ready to add a downdraft table underneath the side with all the holes for the bench dogs🐶.
I put 4 coats of sealer on it im having an awfull time with the sealer. It keeps getting little bumps in it when its dry. I have filtered the spar varnish, bought a new can of spar varnish and a new boars hair purdy brush. Sanded between each coat blown it off with compressed air and wiped it down with a tack cloth and Im still getting little bumps in the finish. Even getting little pieces of the bristles in it.
Any ideas what we can do to remedy this would be great. Tomorow we will put coat 5 on it after we sand with some 220 or 320 sandpaper.

DWyatt

I just finished up my miter bench last night (well finished enough to use). No more cutting on the ground or saw horses! 8)

Where the 2x12s are hanging down I will mount 8 drawers that should be 18" wide x 26" deep x 18" high..... eventually

I used feet from mcmaster with a threaded rod to level the whole bench. 18' total length.

tmbrcruiser

Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

tule peak timber

Holy cow,,, a lot of WAY too nice looking benches !!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Crusarius

that one is way to nice. he has a paper roll on it to keep the bench nice. 

Bearpau

Doubles as a deer processing table and a survivalist surgical table

Bearpau

frazman

Some great idea's on work benches with excellent designs. Giving me idea for my new work shop...

Thank You Sponsors!