iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BC Timber Industry layoffs

Started by Riwaka, September 11, 2019, 11:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riwaka

Are these articles a correct summation? (I have also heard recently that China has connected up the rail line direct to Europe to get timber railed in from Europe.)

Teal-Jones halts logging operations, deepening crisis in strike-hit forestry sector | Times Colonist

'Substantial' loss of B.C. forestry jobs due to weak market, employer warns | CTV News

Woodpecker52

Siberia is close to China and a source of timber.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

sawguy21

Those articles pretty much sum it up. The trade wars and the political spat with China over Huawei (sp?) have dried up our markets, there is also a shortage of timber due to bug kill and fires. China may not be able to get the species, quality, or price they want from Russia and freighter is cheaper than rail.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Riwaka

China ran over 6000 freight trains between Europe and China (to as far away as Spain)Number likely to increase for 2019.

Vancouver truck convoy on Wednesday.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5941008/vancouver-logging-truck-protest/?utm_source=GlobalBC&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2I_CnLGzhkkHZ35eOyHiDFmLbwaiobk7a9HgYAAZVj4IWEX8FmbDJsO-E

sawguy21

It is ugly out there, the forest industry and the communities that depend on it are really hurting. My landlord, a log hauler, didn't go to work today, there was wood to move but not enough to make it worth his while. The government can't do anything about poor market conditions or the wood lost to bug kill. They can fiddle with stumpage, the fee paid for harvesting on crown (public) land, but that would quickly end up in international court and nobody wins there.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!