The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: 32" Crescent "C" frame bandsaw wheels for mill?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline markdvsmo

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: 32" Crescent "C" frame bandsaw wheels for mill?
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 10:33:56 AM »
About that move...

I forgot about the dust collector... included with the deal, sitting in front of the saw.  RotoClone Type D.  Haven't really begun researching it yet but if it works (and it should) it defrays the cost of the saw, since I can use it somewhere in my shop.

That top strap on the saw is mostly cosmetic, just hanging on the guard.  Had an extra strap so figured why not.  it rode OK with the straps crossed over the table, but if I was doing it again I'd break it down enough to get good access to the saw frame itself.

Offline charles mann

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 02:17:20 PM »
Larger diameter wheels are used to reduce blade flexing. I paid just under $900 for my 26 wheels from cooks and i too am building from cremonas plans. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Offline markdvsmo

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2019, 04:18:25 PM »
Restoring one of these bad boys would be a hoot.  She's breaking down nicely:

Restoring one of these would be a dream.  Every original nut and bolt I've removed just eased right out.  No trouble anywhere; I'm so used to having to compensate for cheaply manufactured crap that it brings a little grin every time I put a wrench on a square nut that hasn't budged in a hundred years and it just gives a crisp little 'snip' and glides right out.

They really don't make 'em like they used to.  This thing is a jewel of American craftsmanship.

Found her pedigree:

No serial number yet though.

Offline markdvsmo

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2019, 11:31:51 AM »
I think I'm gonna keep it.

The theory that this saw began life as a Universal Woodworker component (pedestal base) led me to Shane Whitlock's magnificent restoration of one of those machines.  As I'm breaking it down and everything's basically perfect - to be honest it probably doesn't really even need paint, just some cleaning and touch-up - it's been getting harder and harder for me to picture her curvaceous iron carcass sitting on a pallet in the corner of the property with a couple tarps slung over to fend off the worst of the weather.

I need a new resaw in the shop, anyway.  Yup.  Sure I do.  Anybody wanna buy a sweet little Delta 14" set up with a riser block and a 3/4" Timberwolf?  smiley happysmiley  (kidding...  I love that saw).

These saws seem to come up for sale frequently enough at around the $500 point that I can just keep my eyes open and maybe pick up another one in lesser condition that wouldn't be such a tragedy to sacrifice.  And I've got plenty of other stuff I can work on with the mill before I have to decide on the exact wheel config anyway.

There's also that Roto-Clone dust collector next to the saw on the trailer in one of the pics above.  While information on them is proving to be pretty elusive (and on this exact model, apparently nonexistent), it's an interesting piece of equipment and might be a neat thing to restore alongside the saw.

Now I gotta figure out how to get the dang thing into the shop and where to put it.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 11:53:20 AM »
When you started describing how good of condition it was in, I was cringing at the thought of it being sacrificed.  :'( Then I saw that you changed your mind and my spirits were immediately lifted! 8)  Karma will reward you with another, more appropriate, candidate soon!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
1- Twisted Sister or "Walnutz!" and 2- "Pre-Bent" or "Saw Mill Nightmare?

Started by MbfVA on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post September 08, 2017, 12:33:17 PM
by MbfVA
xx
14" bandsaw mill wheels

Started by Andy B. on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2013, 10:19:02 AM
by two-legged-sawmill
xx
84"x 12" Crescent Machine Company Jointer

Started by submarinesailor on For Sale

13 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 07:14:34 PM
by submarinesailor
xx
Seeking source for education in "sound" bandsaw mill design and construction.

Started by MikeySP on Sawmills and Milling

122 Replies
Last post November 06, 2018, 10:52:08 AM
by Southside