iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White poplar for board & batten

Started by frazman, April 07, 2020, 09:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frazman

I have a good number of white poplar ( trembling aspen ) logs to be used for board & batten but the boards will only be used next year so I was wondering, would it be a good idea to cut the boards this year and have them dry or should I keep the logs whole and off the ground and dry to be milled next year. From what I've read, normally you cut the board and have them nail green.

Don P

I'm sawing some white pine now that will dry for a coupla few months, then I'll plane it all flat and uniform when its time to install.

WDH

Better to cut and dry the boards rather than leave the logs lay for a long time as some bad things can happen to the logs like deep cracks and splits and some rot could develop in the sapwood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

frazman

I think I'm going to take care of milling the logs this year as suggested and cut them a little thicker @ 1-1/8" ish. This will give me good experience and what to expect for any future jobs. Thanks for all the info.

YellowHammer

Saw them now, dry them, use them later.  IMO it takes the risk out of the situation.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Poplar is so prone to blue stain, that you should saw promptly and then stack, with a roof, in a fast drying location.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

frazman

Looks like I'm not sawing as fast as I should being I still have to set my new sawmill. Happy the weather is still cold for some time...

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Has anyone mentioned Westwood in aspen to you?  This is a bacterial infection in the tree, usually in the bottom log,  that causes an obnoxious odor, Higher than normal moisture, slow drying, and collapse.  It is very weak compared to uninflected wood.  Etc.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

frazman

I have cut lots of trees and found some of them to be punky in the centre of the logs if that's what you're referring to. ( ? ) Not sure what's the cause of it is.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Punky wood is from decay fungi.

Bacteria increase the moisture content.  You can often see wood that looks super wet.  The wood gets much heavier.  In some species, the logs no longer float.

Thank You Sponsors!