iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One Man Show Tree Services..

Started by weimedog, November 02, 2020, 10:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

A local logger here ( Closer to Syracuse NY ) needs to find a 565 to buy, Told him I would see if I could get a price for one, or at least a place to call. The local dealer has nothing. 

An update:  he was able to find what was needed.....problem solved.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

sawguy21

Will his insurance cover the loss? I don't think I have ever seen a 385.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Real1shepherd

Unless you have a separate policy to cover work tools, the answer would be no. And those policies are expensive....been there, done that, wore the T shirt.

The problem was that miscreants were using those policies to replace non-existing tools or to get new tools.

Even when I worked at a plumbing shop last, the tools they expected me to bring of my own, were not covered under the company's policy....again, the cost.

Kevin

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

weimedog

Problem solved. So this thread can end.....OR change subjects. Found a Tree Service up in the Potsdam New York area. Young fella just starting out from what it seems. Has three or four older patched together saws and a truck with a lift. Took down a really nasty pine tree for us up that way. Why bring it up here? I can't imagine if some one like that living on the edge got ripped....most here have a lot of saws. It would get me aggravated if someone pinched a saw from the back of my "farm" truck, but it wouldn't break my business model. Guys like that....that ONE bigger 7cc saw is what generates the income. Another thing that is a take away for me is how often on the boards, the hobbyist has the "perfect" online speced modded by the right fad at the moment guy saw. And we see these huge bucking spikes, crazy muffler mods and lots of other stuff. He, and a few I have experienced like him, make do with 10-12 year old pro saws that you couldn't even sell into the online community. Yet there it is, making a living for this fellow.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

weimedog

weimedog

And the pic doesn't do it justice, that was easily a 10 to 12 percent grade. And there was a maze of trees to sneak around out of the pic he had to get thru. That work was done with a 2002 era 372 patched up with a variety of aftermarket parts and a 24inch Oregon Power match bar. Limbing with a lean running 346xp...ran like its low on compression and probably has for years. SO here is the question:

I've had a "test" program for a long time to test the Aftermarket parts & modded saw build concepts, both AM and OEM; for my YouTube Channel. Mainly with a set of three production logging outfits . No Tree Services or landscape types. If you out there who do this for a living were to pick ONE saw concept that would both be interesting for us here but most useful to a guy like that, what would it be? A couple of constraints...he needs to be able to do his own work with "tools from Lowes" and ebay. SO Autotunes of any brand are are out.

What I have in "inventory" for projects are 441's, 372 X-Torqs, A variety of small Stihl / Husky's and of course the Kit Saws from 361's to 660's. BUT if you come up with an interesting enough concept other than what I have I may do it anyway. Curious on your thoughts. Looking for a mission... 

weimedog

OK...will expand to include NEW saw concepts w/o autotune. Is the "new" 372 going to be an autotune? 

chet

Brother and I called it quits with our tree business last year. We ran non X-Torq 372's, 395's  and 61's as our small 'tree saws'. Most tree guys would consider 61's a little heavy and slow for a tree saw, but they are dependable and tough as nails.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Spike60

New 372's aren't going to be AT good buddy. The only question is when the heck are they going to ship! (365's already have). This chassis is returning with no changes.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

ButchC

Quote from: weimedog on November 15, 2020, 08:31:17 AMAnother thing that is a take away for me is how often on the boards, the hobbyist has the "perfect" online speced modded by the right fad at the moment guy saw. And we see these huge bucking spikes, crazy muffler mods and lots of other stuff. He, and a few I have experienced like him, make do with 10-12 year old pro saws that you couldn't even sell into the online community. Yet there it is, making a living for this fellow.
Yessir, one of the reasons I have hung around here is the lack of that mentality, professional cookie cutters is what I call them. The answer to every saw question is a 660/661 and filing a chain requires a Phd on geometry and suitability for use is measured with a stopwatch.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: ButchC on November 16, 2020, 09:41:06 PM
Quote from: weimedog on November 15, 2020, 08:31:17 AMAnother thing that is a take away for me is how often on the boards, the hobbyist has the "perfect" online speced modded by the right fad at the moment guy saw. And we see these huge bucking spikes, crazy muffler mods and lots of other stuff. He, and a few I have experienced like him, make do with 10-12 year old pro saws that you couldn't even sell into the online community. Yet there it is, making a living for this fellow.
Yessir, one of the reasons I have hung around here is the lack of that mentality, professional cookie cutters is what I call them. The answer to every saw question is a 660/661 and filing a chain requires a Phd on geometry and suitability for use is measured with a stopwatch.
Which brings us back to the eternal question;what exactly are you going to do with your saw? Are you going to at most, cut a couple of cords and then go to GTG's and cut cut cookies for braggin' rights....or collect a reasonably large number of saws and just 'play' around with them? Or.....is the saw going to be put to hard use in the woods either in pro production setting or cutting 10+cords a yr for heating? I'm not condemning anything, just illustrating that one saw and one 'way' does not work for everybody.

And then there's the 'every saw you put your hands on could use or needs to be ported' mentality.....

Kevin

ButchC

I have no issue with the professional cookie cutters doing thier thing. I have been known to put a log up on the forks and cut a few. But as Weimedog  well enough said the best cookie cutter saw and chain sure isn't the best tree service saw, or firewood saw or anything else saw, but a person sure wouldnt know it if he populates certain web forums where the only saw worthy of twigs is a erized 90CC Stihlvarna.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

Spike60

You guys are cracking me up here, cause I've posted elsewhere about how the porting religion is all overhyped and I got a fair amount of blowback. Modding saws is fun though, and I think that alone can justify it for those who want to mess around with saws. However the attempts to argue that there are a lot of real world benefits that make a serious difference in productivity and all just doesn't hold up under scrutiny. But I suppose the guys who spend $300-$400 to have a saw ported need to believe it was money well spent.

Though our ages don't show, Walt and I are both 64. So, we're all in the same age group and I think that accounts for our having similar views on some of this stuff. I suppose the "I'd never run a stock saw" crowd might call us a bunch of old coots, and maybe we are. But I'm not drinking the porting kool-aid either. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

lxskllr

I try to have a saw for each specific purpose, and no more. Couldn't care less about timing of cuts. If it starts easily, runs well, and chips come out the back when the bar goes in wood, I'm happy.

woodworker9

As I've gotten older, I've learned to just pay attention to what I like, and what I need, to take care of my family.  There's a lot of people in this world, and as they say, there's an butt for every seat.  I have zero interest in owning a hopped up racing chainsaw on steroids.  I watch a few YouTube channels where guys are, probably, at the extreme end of chainsaw usage, and believe the only good saw is one that has been Schwarzeneggerized.  I watch solely for entertainment and humor.  To each his/her own.  Doesn't bother me one bit, but I'd never buy one of those.  Seems the same "customers" keep blowing them up because they abuse the heck out of their equipment.  I have absolutely ZERO knowledge about professional logging, and what it takes to cut big trees in the forest every day, all day long.  I have run my own sawmill for 25 plus years, and have cut my fair share of firewood.  I certainly don't need a 200 hp saw for any of that (being facetious).  

I can say this for certain......I truly dislike people who think that their way of doing things is the only way it should ever be done.  Some of these "hotsaw" guys think that way, and I don't think I could ever enjoy having a beer with any of them.  Life is too short, and at the end of the day, if the work gets done, and I didn't blow up any of my saws/motors/engines/equipment.......it was a very good day, especially if I get to hold my new grandson that day, too.

Just my philosophy, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for guys who just go to work with what they have, like the one this thread started about.  A lot of my equipment is older, just like me.  I use the term "experienced".  I have tools that are so experienced that they seem to just know what to do.....I like that.  I've trained them well, and they've treated me well.  I own a shovel I use every single day.  I've welded the shovel end twice now.  Why.....certainly not to save $25 buying a new one.  That shovel fits my hands perfectly, has the perfect weight ratio, and I've never been able to find another new one that fits right in my hands.

I've wanted to own one of those older 0-series saws, but never could find one around here that wasn't either beat to crap or over priced.  There's an 044 for sale right now for same price that I paid for my MS 461 a few years ago.  The guy selling it calls it the greatest saw to have ever lived......ok.  I'm not gonna pay twice what it's worth to find out.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

ButchC

Quote from: Spike60 on November 17, 2020, 07:07:44 AM
Though our ages don't show, Walt and I are both 64. So, we're all in the same age group and I think that accounts for our having similar views on some of this stuff. I suppose the "I'd never run a stock saw" crowd might call us a bunch of old coots, and maybe we are. But I'm not drinking the porting kool-aid either. :)
ya, there is something to that, 65 here. 
 Memories of growing up with a gear drive David Bradley in my hands makes me think my stock 461 is a custom racer!
😊
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

weimedog

So we all agree....porting isn't the answer to every question, and we are getting older. This saw project wouldn't be for me as I don't put enough time on the concept I want to test, AND the work I do here has more in common with logging vs a tree service to I'm completely clueless to that world. SO this project will either be testing / building video documentation  of a simplistic saw built by me for the tree service or built new saw to meet the needs of said tree service owner operator I'm going to visit tomorrow. Going to ask his opinion on the subject, Might drop a built 50mm or 48mm saw with him if I get the right feedback.

So Husqvarna 61-272 chassis? 372? Stihl ms441, ms461? Chinese 660? New Echo or Husqvarna 372xt, not certain on Stihl's new offerings as I don't know if the 461 is still an option. But building a beat one back to like is a possibility as they are not Autotunes. But this is like if u could only have one for a tree service. The dude does his own mechanical work for the most part, survival. So want the saw to be something where basic setup rebuilds etc. can be done with tools from Harbor Freight. 

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Spike60 on November 17, 2020, 07:07:44 AM
You guys are cracking me up here, cause I've posted elsewhere about how the porting religion is all overhyped and I got a fair amount of blowback. Modding saws is fun though, and I think that alone can justify it for those who want to mess around with saws. However the attempts to argue that there are a lot of real world benefits that make a serious difference in productivity and all just doesn't hold up under scrutiny. But I suppose the guys who spend $300-$400 to have a saw ported need to believe it was money well spent.

Amen to all that and then some.

Honestly, a lot of the guys on YouTube and the forums will port or have a saw ported and run about three tankfuls through it at most. Then say it's the best saw they ever used. That means zero to me. Let me hear about a yr later after it's worked in the woods nearly everyday before you start waxing poetic.

Hopping up saws IS great fun....but it has its place and I already said my peace. And yeah, there's a lot of Kool-aid drinkers out there with saws. :)

Kevin

donbj

It's just plain human. Anything with a motor whether it be chainsaw, lawn mower, truck, car, boat, airplane, go-cart, motorcycle, tractor, somebody will just have to hop it up! It's all good if that's what one enjoys and wants to do. I prefer a stock saw at the size needed and run it, mainly because I have no idea how to port one anyway :D
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

ButchC

Hey, I ain't no old fogy!😅 Ex hot rodder, dirt track racer and a Z28 Camaro in the garage. 
What Kevin just said rings home, one saw that really makes his point was the 5100S Dolmar. When those things hit the cookie cutter web forums you almost had to own one to be allowed to post and whoa be the owner who didn't send it out to be XYZerized before it ever had fuel in it or to admit to any of the obvious faults once he ran it.  I risked being thrown off the forum😅😅 and went with my gut and purchased a Stihl 260. Guess what, it still puts firewood in the trailer while Id bet there isn't more than a handfull of operational 5100S saws left anywhere.

Back to my original reason for blabbering on in this thread I do appreciate the real world knowledge on this forum and the lack of (sorry I have no polite word to place here) to sort through when looking for an answer.  There are plenty of other places for tbe racers to hang out, thanks all!
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

Sprinter

I really like a sharp chain on a smooth running saw that throws chips!  :new_year:
But then, I am an old fart and my racing days are long past.

Spike60

Butch, you're great. You have a flair for creating words I haven't heard since Slip Mahoney in the Bowery Boys flicks. LOL

And I gotta hand it to ya on your expose' on the 5100s. Nobody talks about that saw anymore. But it was the biggest thing since the Apollo 11 moon landing a couple years ago. Ran fine and lasted a whiie if you wound it down, but lack of a metal ring in the intake boot and very lean factory settings doomed most of them to short lives.

Like Sprinter says, good running saw and a sharp chain and you're all set. Out in the woods, smell of two stroke and fresh cut wood. Life is good. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

HolmenTree

Myself turning 63 soon I can safely say that if we had YouTube back in the 1970's 1980's we'd all be posting cookie cutting videos too :D

Yeah these young guys are hopping up their saws but need to have someone else file their chains :laugh:
Or else stick a new out of the box chain on and find the most punky piece of wood they can find :).

Making a living with a saw I need no modifications.  I only put all my effort into that chain.
Choice of saw? I can't be happier with this couple of hour on it 1989 Stihl 044 I found this summer.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SwampDonkey

I don't run any tree service for hire, but I do hand cut trees with a Husq. 550 autotune. The low end of the pro saws as you know. No plastic on the chain and brake cover. Although, some folks feel any chainsaw with primer bulb ain't a pro saw. :D I cut 8 cord of firewood a year for the house. This firewood is a product of thinning the woodlot of all the crap that happens naturally. Dying aspen, ants in fir, crooked or animal scarred (moose, hare) hardwoods or suppressed weakened softwoods or too thick to grow diameter wood in a reasonable time frame. All this ground has been thinned before, but by clearing saw. This has been a great fall to get the firewood done, the snow as held off. Usually faced with cutting it in the spring at the same time as thinning season is starting up. With piece work it is easy to fit the time in, you work enough to cover the week and a little extra and take the days to cut firewood. No complaints here. Firewood in these parts is running $300 a cord and up. I fill 3 Tacoma truckloads for a cord, each truck load means a $100 in my pocket, figured 10 loads paid for that saw. Otherwise the pay cheque would be buying the firewood and no benefit at all to my patch of woods, I own 70 acres. ;) ;D And yes, I do plan to sell wood to mills, but that is 13-15 years out. This thinning is promoting more hardwoods and getting some seeding in for the next generation of trees. As it is now, there is zero undergrowth. I need new little trees to begin the next crop. That's my story and I'm stick'n to it. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!