iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Sawmill Shed,,,Finally

Started by boonesyard, November 18, 2020, 10:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boonesyard

We've been talking about and planning a sawmill shed for a couple years. The location and plans kept changing, but I finally came up with something that will work for us. Also been accumulating logs for building material until I had enough to get it done. The main building is 48" wide and 36" deep with 14.5' sidewalls. One end will be open with a 40" clear span for the mill and access. The foundation is 14" concrete piers 5' deep with wet set pro post anchors. Main posts are 6"x8" cedar and all framing lumber is doug fir. The rafters are on 4' centers. There will also be a 20'x36' lean to on one side which will be fully enclosed with an overhead door. Those rafters will be 3-1/2" x 11" doug fir also on 4' centers. 1' overhang with metal soffit and roof. No concrete yet, maybe someday in the lean-to, but I don't see it in the mill shed. Concrete is tough on my back and feet. Mill shed is large enough to go 3 pacs high for air drying. 

It is a ton of work, but it's really been satisfying doing it on our own. Thanks to all on this forum and the wealth of knowledge that helped make this happen (I've still got a ways to go, but I'm going to get out of the snow).  ;D

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

btulloh

HM126

DocGP

All of a sudden I feel so inadequate!!!  :D :D Great looking shed.

Doc
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
MX 5100 for the grunt work
Stihl MS 261 C-M

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Andries

Nice work!
Piles five feet deep should get you below the frost line . . . in a "normal" winter. 😆
A question; was the choice of 6x8 cedar for the posts based on what you had on hand, or  . .     ?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

boonesyard

The 6x8 size was based on the size of the largest anchors i could get. I wanted to go large because I'm using cedar, and there's a lot of uplift and inside pressures with one side open. Better safe than sorry
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Walnut Beast

Durf700

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

boonesyard

The latest progress. My wife and I put up the lean-to wall and rafters this weekend. It was a lot, but the weather has really been good. Make hay while you can  ;). A couple more posts to finish the super structure, some purlins, girts, rafter tails and facia board, then on to the metal roof. It's really going to be nice to be under a roof  ;D. 

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Tin Horse

Great looking building. I also chose to leave the concrete out of my sawmill shed for the same reasons.
Can't wait to see the lean to on the other side. It's gonna happen sooner or later. 8)
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

boonesyard

Just thought I would post the limited progress I've made on the new shed. My goal was to have it completed by the end of the year, but life/Covid had it's own schedule.

My dad and I are close, real close, he is my best friend. We hunt, fish, work, pretty much do everything together. He is/was an extremely healthy 85 yr old with no pre-existing conditions or no meds, doesn't drink, no smoking and only a couple of minor surgery's. He still carried his class A license and very recently passed his DOT physical again for another 2yrs :o. He went deer hunting the 1st weekend of November (I was too busy and didn't go with him) and he contracted the virus. He got real sick and was admitted to the hospital on November 25th, he has been in there ever since and is still fighting for his life. I've never seen anything like it, this crap can be ugly. Anyway, with all of this, I've spent more time in the hospital than I'm sure any of us care to see, and not much time on the new shed.

With that said, I have mad some headway. Got the roof on this week, thanks to some unseasonably wonderful weather.

Put the mill under the new roof, finally! Man, that's a nice feeling after dreaming and planning for 2+yrs.

Even got a little B&B siding done to see how it goes. I like it. 

Be careful and safe out the everyone.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Walnut Beast

Looking good. Prayers for your Dad

slider

Beautiful shed but i disagree on the concrete . It is low here in south ga and for years i have dealt with uneven ground and water . Last year i pored it all including my shop. I don't saw full time and don't have a blower yet. I saw for 2 days put the bucket on my skid steer and in 15 minutes it is gone. The best part is stacking , it is so much better on concrete than on the ground. 
al glenn

Durf700

I hope your dad recovers!  that is terrible.  As far as the building, it is awesome!  are you going to do the board and bat all the way to the ground?  I like to do steel on the last 3 feet to prevent the splash off the ground from getting stained on the board and batten siding. 

Andries

That's a fine looking mill shed ! 
Looking at your work on that, I'd say your best friend taught you well.
So sad to hear about your Dad.
Here's hoping he pulls through and lives to tell the tale.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

stanwelch

I like it!!  Great looking mill shed  8)

Prayers for your dad's quick recovery 
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

nativewolf

@boonesyard 

What a nice looking shed and very sad news on your Dad.  I'm sure you shed will finish up well.  

Best wishes and good thoughts for your Father.  Yes Covid is deadly..vaccines can't come fast enough.  

Your Dad seems like someone that led life fully.  That's the best route and great inspiration.
Liking Walnut

boonesyard

Thanks all for the kind words. I share any progress with him via pictures, he gets a kick out of that. 

My first thought was to put 3-4' of metal sheeting wainscoat on the bottom and then the B&B from there up. The thing that stopped me was $$$. I got all of the cedar for 0$, so that's what we'll do. I know it's not the best for it on the bottom where it gets splashed on, but the price was right. This spring when it warms up, I'll spray a clear coat on it. I'm not in to that kind of maintenance every few years, but we'll make it work.

Any recommendations for a cedar clear coat or sealer would be appreciated? I know it'll take a fair amount due to the rough sawn nature of it, but it sure looks nice.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

WV Sawmiller

You know it is not going to be big enough. :D Looks real good.

My very best to your dad. My 90 y/o mom was just released Christmas Day after 5-6 in the hospital for C-19. She and my 450+ lb brother both seem to have recovered from it in spite of their ages and health risks.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

boonesyard

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 07, 2021, 12:49:06 PM
  You know it is not going to be big enough. :D Looks real good.

My very best to your dad. My 90 y/o mom was just released Christmas Day after 5-6 in the hospital for C-19. She and my 450+ lb brother both seem to have recovered from it in spite of their ages and health risks.
I could put a cover over an acre and it wouldn't be big enough whiteflag_smiley. I've got an old barn on the place (only original building left) that is beyond repair. I'd REALLY like to take it down and put up 60 x 100 cold storage in it's place, but that's a whole different animal. This year we're going to have to do something for climate controlled kiln dried lumber storage,,,,,, what have I gotten myself in to  :o. Lovin every minute of it!  
I'm glad to hear your mom and brother came out of it. It's weird stuff
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Walnut Beast

Quote from: slider on January 06, 2021, 05:04:12 PM
Beautiful shed but i disagree on the concrete . It is low here in south ga and for years i have dealt with uneven ground and water . Last year i pored it all including my shop. I don't saw full time and don't have a blower yet. I saw for 2 days put the bucket on my skid steer and in 15 minutes it is gone. The best part is stacking , it is so much better on concrete than on the ground.
Absolutely. Anybody that's making excuses to not put concrete in or out of their building is making excuses. It comes down to cost. Yes it's expensive. The upside is absolutely incredible. Ask anybody with a concrete floor in their shop. If your going to go heavy on the floor you can go thicker on the concrete in the middle like 6"or 8" and towards the walls 4" where your not going to have as much weight. A power troweled floor is extremely nice but more expensive

boonesyard

Absolutely the concrete comes down to cost. I know all about it, my other company is  municipal water and wastewater treatment construction and our bread and butter is heavy structural concrete (we place 2,000+ cy yds/yr.) and process mechanical. Some day there may be concrete in it, but there is no question that walking back and forth and around the mill on class 5 is easier on my back than on concrete all day.  
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

firefighter ontheside

Awesome shed you're building here.  I sure hope your dad gets well and comes back to work on it with you.  I sure would like to have something like this, but then I'd need to include my woodworking shop with it as well.  I don't think you can do better than Sikkens Cetol for your stain, but its mighty expensive.  Might be cheaper to put up the metal.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!