iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timber harvester sawmill ht3025

Started by willy54, December 04, 2020, 12:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willy54

Hey all - I'm new to this forum even though I've tapped into a few of the discussions over past few months. I'm a wood-aholic but most of my work has been using old barn timbers to make furniture. Last year I picked up a timber harvester bandsaw that had been sitting in a field for 10 years!! So far I've rebuilt, rewired and refurbished about everything. I have everything functioning but the hold down dogs won't work. All the other hydraulics are functioning. So without a schematic of electrical and hydraulics I'm stymied. The dogs move up and down using 4 hydraulic motors and none of them will work. all the functions work off a single manual flow directional box. I'm getting pressure to them so my guess it is in the return somehow. But the hoses run through the frame so kind of hard to track back. So if anyone has any advice - and especially if anyone knows where I can get my hands on a manual and set of schematics that would be great!!! 
Martin

moodnacreek

If it sat a long time perhaps a relief valve stuck. I really don't know anything about your machine but the hyd. control valve will have at least one. It should be a hex nut insert.

willy54

ill take a look around for that - does each directional control valve have a relief valve or is it a system valve?
Martin

tylerltr450

if you want someone to look at clousers farm can help you out.

Ashame your so far away or I could lend a hand.

hydraulics are simple and this system on the TH is very simple the only thing to keep in mind is the loop and what is over electric.

Either the return is not working or something in the valve. Relief valve could be acting up however if your relief valve is stuck closed your in trouble that is one scary situation. The motors to move the dogs could be messed up and not moving the motor itself. Much to review pics help also.
Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

willy54

Hey everyone - I just rebuilt a timber harvester 30ht25 and am starting to figure out how to operate it well. I have a couple questions - first when you kick it in to 'fast' engine speed - how do you set that so the speed is right? the engine sometimes bogs down when I get into a cut.
second I am located in pittsburgh but will likely be moving to north Georgia in the near future - any ideas on how to best transport the mill? definitely not leaving it behind - to much blood and sweat invested into it and I am just getting close to the place where I feel confident enough to perhaps start sawing for others.
any help or insight is certainly appreciated
Martin

Iwawoodwork

Way to transport.  I have found several old used boat trailers, with and without boats for $50 to $200 single and double axle, any of them would be easy to modify to mount the mill on for travel, most boat trailers have a long tongue  area which makes a sawmill mount easier. The old boat trailers seem to be cheaper than regular utility trailers in my area. I have remanned 4 double and  2 single axle into utility trailers.

Fedge

Are you referring to the engine speed or the speed of the head (feed rate)? If you want to adjust the speed of the head, there is a brass colored knob that is about the size of a quarter. Its to the right of the letters. Turn it clockwise for slower, the opposite direction for faster.
A smart man knows a lot, a smarter man knows what he doesn't know.

ladylake

With 25 hp your motor will bog down in a wider cut, make sure the governor is opening up when your working it. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jrsloan1

I know it's been over a year but did you get the issue solved?
Never trust nobody cause you can't fix stupid!!!

jrsloan1

I find on my timber harvester the same issue. The feed speed control gets a lot of use. You might want to check the double belt drive tension from the motor to the drive wheel. If it is too loose or the belts worn it can slip some and loose power. Worn belts on the ban wheels and improper blade tension can also contribute. If when you engage the blade lever it screeches a little, look hard at the drive belts. I want to test the blade speed on my mill. If it is spinning too slow, that can also be an issue. It's a combination of engine rpm, pulley and ban wheel size etc. I've got a formula somewhere but haven't gotten a chance to do it. 

Is the move to Georgia still on and where bouts?
Never trust nobody cause you can't fix stupid!!!

Thank You Sponsors!