iDRY Vacuum Kilns

MacBook

Started by Magicman, December 19, 2020, 09:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zinc oxide

You are quite welcome, Magic Man.

David Pogue I believe is the gentleman's name. I think he has a series called "the missing manual" for Macs. Phenomenal resource.

"Thank you (God) I needed that"... Was how I was exposed to Mac products through my little sister whom I house/pet set for 2 years to the day in Richmond Virginia.

I can't say it enough. It is I who wish to thank you, and many others, present or not, for this vast cornucopia of knowledge and effort.

Willy

Magicman

Thank you Sir, ordered.  :P

A Grandson is coming this week which will be helpful, but I have already done all of the day-to-day stuff.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

It's funny when the first home computers were on the market, the motherboard schematic and the programming manual was included. Now it's a secret, unless you go digging. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen1

My son convinced me 7 years ago this month to buy this mac, still runs, battery is still good, i have problems with photo's but that is just me. I am not fussy on everything costs on a mac, but no virus, no worries, it just works, along with my phone.  My GF has a mac 14 years old, leaves it plugged in and she still uses it for her old editing programs she likes. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

As far as bootup time on PC's, you can have instant on if you just power up and down with the power button. You don't need to do a deep cycle shutdown or restart every time you use your PC. You'd only need that when updating. Mine comes right back up and ready to go in less than 2 seconds. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

The Grandson came and I learned a few nice shortcuts.  :P  Now if I can remember them.... ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

Magicman

There is no question that I am keeping the Macbook Air.  The Trackpad, Bootup speed, Battery life, Battery recharge time, Physical size/weight, etc. are all deal makers.  Firefox is transparent with what I was already accustomed to.

I can easily resize my photos on my iPhone "Image Size" app and quickly upload them thus avoiding the, to me, cumbersome and multi-step "Preview" app on the Mac.  I have always had the phone's Image Size app, just never used it.  Recent photos are automatically transferred to and viewed in the Mac and I choose which or whether to actually upload them.

If/when I get a text or phone call I get a notifier like I do here on the FF.  I can then respond to either on the Mac if I desire.

Not trying to convince anyone, just stating my thoughts (so far).

btulloh

The interoperability of apple devices is nice. They function together really well and just seem to work the way you want without jumping through hoops. I'm on pc for desktop and laptop but my ipad and iphone work together very well and I appreciate the synergy.  I especially like how text messages show up on both devices. Do they show up your laptop too?  

Maybe someday I'll move to apple for the desktop but no real reason to at this point. 

Good report MM. I'm glad your new laptop is working out for you. 
HM126

Hilltop366

I don't recall ever having to resize photos when uploading them from the apple Photos app. It must resize them automatically because my photos are usually 17 to 26 MB.

After I have opened the FF photo upload page I open the Apple Photo App and select the photo(s) I want to up load and drag and drop to the "Or drop photos here" box and let the computer do the rest.

To select more than one photo in a row hold down the shift key and click with track pad on the first and last photo that you want to move the release the shift key.

To select more than one photo that is not in a row hold down the command key and click with the track pad the photos you want to move then release the command key.

Then you can click (and hold down) on any of the selected photos and drag and drop all of them to the "Or drop phots here) box.

This photo of a deer trimming the vegetation around the flower garden at my back door was 25.2 MB, (select, drag, drop) no resizing was required.

SwampDonkey

Thank Jeff for that, not Apple. Give credit where it is due. :D Windows can do much the same as Apple. I have programs that I need to use that are not available on Mac computers. I just don't have any issues with the hardware or functionality and I get done what I have to get done. ;D

This one was 3.4 MB

Hilltop366

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 22, 2021, 02:33:14 PMThank Jeff for that, not Apple. Give credit where it is due.

smiley_thumbsup

I know little about the inner workings of computers, software and websites.

I once compared my usage of a computer to a circular saw to a bunch of extreme computer enthusiasts the look on their face was priceless, I had to explain my comment to them " if I turn it on I want it to work". ;D   

Magicman

Yes, the FF software can/will automatically resize your photos when uploading them to your Gallery.  My situation is that I have relatively slow internet service and I have found that if I resize them they will upload really fast.  If I do not it's like watching paint dry.  There really is not a great difference between this Mac and a PC and I am aware about using the Command key to select multiple photos.

I had no problem with getting another PC except that I have had several bad experiences with several bad PC's and had grown weary.  :-X  I probably could have spent the same $$ and gotten another PC and been OK.

I did not make my final decision whether to keep or return this Mac until last evening.

Bandmill Bandit

My son just told me that the little black Macbook the Grandson was using for games that we bought in 99 died this week so he bought his wife a new MacBook Air fully maxed out and passed the 4 year old 15" MacBook Pro that she was using to the Grandson. He's pretty pumped over it as in; " Grandpa, I can play ALL the games now and it's so fast!"

He started on an IPad at 16 months and he can do more with Grandma's Iphone than Grandma can.  

Also has an IPhone 7 that is very tightly tethered to his Dads phone and has no sim card in it at this point. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

I couldn't get my version of EXCEL files to transfer so I closed out last years spreadsheets on the PC.  I then built all of my formulas in my new Mac "Numbers" spreadsheet files for this year.  It's a bit different but the principal and formulation is the same so I am up and running.  Printing them is much easier.

I am loving this "jet fast" speed.

Magicman

This is just an update on the MacBook.  I have been using it for 4 months and everything that I said in Reply #32 above still applies.  Without question I absolutely love this thing. 

Yes, I am handling pictures differently now but even that is much faster and more convenient.  "Pages" and "Numbers" are serving me very well as my word processor and spreadsheets.  A bit differently but overall the same.

No, I am not suggesting that everyone nor anyone dash out and buy a Mac but for me, switching was a good decision.

YellowHammer

smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Very glad to hear that MM.  Macs rule.  They just work, and work fast.  

Don't forget about Macs being much more virus proof than PC's.  My Mother just got mega hacked on her not too old Windows PC.  The thieves blew right through Windows Defender, dropped all her firewalls, stole some bank stuff, personal identity, and then proceeded to use that information to attack every single bank account she has.  Police reports were filed, banks accounts were changed, this was a total mess, taking weeks to clean up.

We locked things down, I got the PC back to clean it up, and after just a few hours of working with it, I was reminded how cumbersome it was.  It was like going back to a vehicle without power steering and power brakes.  

Anyway, we talked her into getting a new MacBook Pro, which wasn't hard when she realized that our whole family with quite a large diversity of occupations including dentists, engineers, business managers, nurses, etc had switched to Macs years ago.  The first few days were not easy for her getting up on the learning curve, but as she said, it was more learning how to skip steps than relearning new ones.  She said instead of doing A, B, C, D, E, F, and D like she did with a PC, instead, with a Mac she started at A, skipped all the steps in between and and went directly to step D.

She likes the Mac so much, she switched to an iPhone, and loves that, also, because the Apple interfaces are so similar.  She is 81 yers old.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

SwampDonkey

Glad you're having great luck on your Mac. smiley_thumbsup

But, I re-iterate as I said before, I have no issues with Toshiba laptops. They work and do what I need to do. :) Now rebranded as Dynabook, I will certainly buy one without hesitation when the time comes.  Had the current one 8 years now without fail. ;)

Magicman

I am chasing one gremlin that may or may not be me.  Occasionally while typing a reply my text jumps to random places within the previously typed text.  I am not convinced that the trackpad is causing it because I have disabled the "touch" option and have to actually "click" the touchpad to move the curser.  I am also careful to not touch the trackpad while typing. 

Maybe someone has an answer for me?

btulloh

If it were me, I'd get a mouse and stop using the trackpad.  Trackpads are problematic for me. The problem is likely from inadvertent finger or hand contact with the trackpad.  Just a guess coupled with my personal trackpad difficulties. It would at least be helpful to try a mouse while you're trying to figure it out. Bluetooth probably the best mouse option. 
HM126

Magicman

This has been an ongoing problem that is annoying at times (Reply #43 above) when my cursor jumps to somewhere other than where I am typing.  While doing some searching tonight I found an APP called "False Tap Stop" that may prevent this jumping.  $2.99 which would be a small price to to pay if it works.  Anyway, I downloaded the APP and so far while typing this, nothing bad has happened and the cursor has stayed where it belongs and has not jumped to somewhere else on the screen.  OK, I'm being long winded and trying to create a long post like some of our members, but I normally do not have that much to say.  Heck, I have already typed more than I know.

I don't know where/when/how the $2.99 gets paid.  Maybe it will be added to my iPhone account like when I buy an App for it, but how does it know?  The iPhone APPS are certainly different from this MacBook APPS.   I pay a phone bill but I don't have a MacBook bill.  ???

Yup, I could just delete and abandon this reply, but someone else might be experiencing this same problem and this could help them.  I'll see how it goes and come back here and post the results; either good or bad.

I typed all of the above which set a record typing text without a hiccup, sooo maybe.  

SwampDonkey

That's usually a problem on any laptop with a touch pad, if you hit the pad with a thumb or something the cursor moves to the pointer. Isn't there a touchpad on/off toggle key to silence the touch pad when typing? The pad sometimes has a LED come on when silenced.

Magicman

My situation is that I have "Tap" disabled on the Trackpad.  I have always used Click instead of Tap.  Apparently at times the Trackpad sees a random touch as a tap and sends the cursor to some odd place and if you are not watching the screen, your text is inserted at that random odd place.  This would not only happen when typing replies here and other forums, but when typing in the word processor.

Maybe I finally Googled the correct question and was sent to "IFIXIT" where many users were complaining and looking for the answer to:  Cursor jumping randomly when typing.  Yup that is exactly what was happening with me and after reading several pages of responses, I downloaded the APP "False Tap Stop" which hopefully will correct my situation.

I typed the above without any issue.   :)

I am back to the drawing board because the APP disappeared....I think.  :-X

Magicman

I am back to the drawing board because I was typing a reply, just random stuff, typing this to create a long reply and it jumped again.  Thankfully I deleted the reply before I accidentally hit the post button.  Heck it has jumped twice imes three t four times while typing this.  The previous is what is happening.  

I have discovered a new word; mishit.  I was typing about making a mistake and hitting the wrong key and had to Google to see if it was a correct word.  It's all in the pronunciation:   mĭs-hĭt′   I actually think that what it looks like is more correct about how I feel.

Anyway, "False Tap Stop" didn't fix anything or either I have not correctly applied it.  I did restart and even did a hard shutdown/reboot

SwampDonkey

That is weird, you'd think they'd have that behaviour solved with $$billions of dollars behind their name. On my laptop, I'd have to tap it twice in rapid succession to move the cursor, once for the click bar.