The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Repeat Question  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Randy

• Full Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
Repeat Question
« on: March 30, 2005, 03:12:43 PM »
I asked this question in another topic and no one answered it so I am going to Ask it again. If I squared a pine log to 20", Pith centered, If I cut 10---2x20, let them dry a few months, then resawed them into 2x4's------------would this be better than cutting the 20" cant into 50 2x4's while green---------sticker them---with the same amount of weight---------which way would I get straighter 2x4's???????????? Thanks Randy

PS. The reason I am trying to find this out is I NEED ALOT of 20ft 2x4's and only have big tree's(20" to 40")--------also I realize cutting dry lumber is harder on the blade.

PSS-If there is a Better way to saw a ----Say 30" straight, 20ft log into just 2x4's------Please explain how to Me--------I am cutting my tree's this week to saw hopefully next week--------Want to do it right.

Offline Bro. Noble

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
Re: Repeat Question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 03:23:20 PM »
I don't know about getting the best quality,  but if it were me,  I'd cut the 2X4's while I had the logs on the saw.  Don't forget that you will get several off of the sides while you square the cant.  You will also waste less lumber if you take some 1" boards and some short 2" stuff off of the sides.

I'd cut several extras and pick the straightest ones when you go to use them.  The crooked ones can be used in shorter lengths.  You always need some shorter 2X4's somewhere. :)

I wouldn't want to handle 20' stuff anymore than I had to. ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Offline moosehunter

• Senior Member x2
  • Every once in a while
    • Share Post
    • Saw it Coming
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 05:24:09 PM »
 I'm with Bn, Handle them once. Cut 'em, sticker 'em, leave 'em till you need 'em
MH
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 06:50:37 PM »
Yep, Br'er Noble has my vote too.
extinct

Offline EZ

• Senior Member x2
  • Betya can't cut just one!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 07:35:24 PM »
I did this couple summers ago with 16 ft logs, these guys are right.
After I let the 16's dry and cut them into 2x4's they still bent and all that other crazy stuff. I had to re- sticker them and weigh them down and most of them were still bent.
EZ

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 08:51:52 PM »
If you want to read up on it I think I've seen papers on the Forest Products Labs website where they've studied it.
Their website is here;
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/
I typed in SDR (for SawDryRip) on their search in the upper left corner and got 6 hits. I've seen many more titles than that  :P  :)
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline woodbowl

• Senior Member x2
  • Making dough bowls, is a lot of work, but fun.
    • Share Post
    • Have Sawmill, Will Travel
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 10:34:14 PM »
Randy,
    Your question has many factors to consider. Generaly speaking a straight log will yeild straight wood and a crooked log will yeild bowed wood. However, there is always the exception to the rule. Any time you cut 20' stuff here in the deep south, you can get ready to take what you get. After hurricane Opal 10 years ago, I noticed that practically all the pine that I was sawing for my customers was comming out very straight. The stress was just not there. I was so far behind that everything I was sawing had been down for at least 4 weeks. Something happened to the stress because of the down time. Occasionally a fresh green log would be on the ramps. The difference was immediately obvious.------Another time I cut 2X6's from a fresh cut loblolly with growth rings 1" apart. Every singly board had a bow and they were only 8' long. My strategy would be to let them first dry, then put then back on my woodmizer to shave 1/2" from each side and turn them into a usable 2X5. I was disapointed. After all this, they bowed again. These seem to be extreme examples, but they tell me what's going on inside the log. To answer your question,  conditions certainly play an important roll but sometimes it's just not meant to be. Why is wood straight at the bldg supply? It is graded and usually still wet from the CCA or ACQ treatment. A board in the sun that looks like a giant piece of macaroni will normally lay flat after a rain. Hope this helps.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Offline Gipper

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 02:09:08 AM »
Randy,

I, too, am with Bro. Noble on this one.  20 footers are hard enough to handle once.  Last year I cut several 20 ft. 6 in. pine into 2x6, 2x8, and had several 2x4's as well as some one inch stuff off the sides.  Several of the trees squared 16 to 18 inches, but most were a little smaller.  I stacked the 2x6's and 2x8's flat, and the 2x4's on edge (2 in. side.)  Put some weight on but not a lot and haven't had a lot of problem with bowing and warping.  Pine is pretty good about drying straight in this area.  (air drying) 

I am now using some of them and have had to cull only one or two because of bow or twist.  With a 5 to 10 percent overage on the amount you need, you should have plenty enough good, usable 2x4's.  Occasionally, we would have a loblolly try to come off the bunks while sawing, but other than than, if I'm going to saw 20 ft. stuff, I certainly prefer pine.  Good luck!!!

Gipper

Offline iain

• Senior Member x2
  • bonnin stuff
    • Share Post
    • Leafbone Furniture
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 02:47:31 AM »
Slice it up how your going to use it, and get everything you can from it

iain

Offline RacinRex

• Full Member x2
  • Farmin', Sawin', Computin'
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 09:10:50 AM »
There is another related post down the forum a bit and it has to do with centering grain and taking certian kinds of lumber from certian parts of the log. Tom, I believe it was, wrote a beautiful dissertation. Sometimes when you are hacking up big softwoods and you know that you are in need of a large amount of 2x stock you do your best to get good yield and be smart about your cuts but don't try to out smart yourself and lose too much time either cause you'll still have some boards that are warped/bowed by the time they are dry. Sometimes its best to whack it up into 2x stuff, sticker it right and dry it and then cull when you are using it.

And to address the "straight boards at the lumber yard" Have you folks been to a box store for 2x stock in the past couple of years? I just finished framing my house here last summer and let me tell you. Those guys that sawed that stuff that ended up on those whacks of lumber didn't know centered grain from center field. Twists, bows, warps and cups I spent as much time picking over their stacks of lumber as I did nailing it together to create 3,300 sqft of living space. My piles have much nicer material and I'm sure I get more out of a log and I'm just a little fly-by-night sawyer (with a great source for knowlege in this forum)
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

Offline iain

• Senior Member x2
  • bonnin stuff
    • Share Post
    • Leafbone Furniture
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 12:59:53 PM »
Its called propeller wood :D :D

iain

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Repeat customer

Started by Klicker on Sawmills and Milling

14 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 09:31:07 PM
by saxon0364
xx
repeat customer

Started by slider on Urban and Community Forestry

13 Replies
Last post May 15, 2021, 06:17:01 PM
by slider