iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using a Nyles 53 instead of EBAC LD800

Started by TractorBoy78, February 25, 2021, 08:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TractorBoy78

USFS General Tech Report NRS-188 March 2019 provides a kiln design based on an EBAC unit.  The box design would work well in my shop verses the standard box recommended by Nyles.  Has anyone tried to use a Nyles unit in the NRS-188 box design in lieu of the EBAC?  What was the result?  Thanks so much.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

This is hard to answer with knowing the species, thickness, annual amount of wood, etc.  with the NYLE unit, you can build your box to whatever specifications you want.  However, the heat from the fan motors and compressor, no matter what brand, will overheat the kiln and require venting.  Putting hot humid air into you shop is likely a bad decision.  So, I would strongly encourage you to put the kiln in a different location.  If you are drying and selling, you also need to check your homeowners insurance to make sure it will cover a fire caused by a business venture.  You also might be better off if you have a dedicated electric circuit for the DH, with gfi.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

K-Guy

@TractorBoy78 

The L53 needs 18" from the bottom of the fans to the ceiling of the chamber, so the plans might need modification. For best efficiency I would recommend using our plans.  
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

YellowHammer

The long term expense of a DH kiln unit is the electricity to operate it.  Once the initial cost of the unit has long been forgotten, the power bill, which is not insignificant, will come back month, after month.

So I would recommend building a kiln unit exactly to the Nyle specifications.  I would also highly recommend to not build or install any kiln unit in, or near anything that you did not care if it burned own.  Especially, an inhabited building.  I personally have had some close calls where any of my 3 kilns (including my solar) could have possibly been burned down.  Anytime you mix dry wood, confined spaces, heat, and relatively high amperage, long duration electrical circuits, there is always a chance of something unforeseen happening.

In addition, my insurance company actually measured the distances between mine and other structures before they would cover them or the adjacent buildings.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

TractorBoy78

Wow-

Thank each of you for feedback.  I have been to Yellow Hammer's facility and it is quite impressive.  I am about I hr North of him.
I was originally interested in the FS design due to the ability to move it around when I was not using it.  
Also, I thought if I had floor space already under roof why pour another pad and expense of making a small building.  I bought the 
53 because this is my primary hobby.  I read everything I can that Gene writes.  He has previously expressed concerns about using
dehumidifiers not designed for the application.  I guess fire still needs to be a concern.

I like to slab junky hardwoods.  I air dry to 13 percent and then want to dry.  Volume is not my concern.  I build a kiln in the shop using 4
plug in oil radiator style heaters.  Fortunately no damage to shop or wood.

I am also the President of the Elk Valley Forestry Association.  I would like to use my kiln as an educational tool.  I have considered putting it on a trailer.
Have any of you seen someone put a small kiln on a trailer?  I think controller and dehumidifier would not like being moved around.  My dryer worked well until it was moved in a remodel.

Perhaps the trailer mounted kiln should be a solar powered unit.

Regards-

Tractor Boy

K-Guy

Quote from: TractorBoy78 on February 26, 2021, 03:37:50 PMHave any of you seen someone put a small kiln on a trailer?

I have had the question put to me several times over the years and my answer is still the same.

No I don't recommend it. The vibration is sure to do bad things to the kiln unit as well as give problems keeping the chamber sealed tight.

The big thing with all kilns is to have good airflow, modifying a chamber designed for a different unit is going to affect that.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

pineywoods

Quote from: TractorBoy78 on February 26, 2021, 03:37:50 PM

would like to use my kiln as an educational tool.  I have considered putting it on a trailer.
Have any of you seen someone put a small kiln on a trailer?  I think controller and dehumidifier would not like being moved around.  My dryer worked well until it was moved in a remodel.

Perhaps the trailer mounted kiln should be a solar powered unit.

Regards-

Tractor Boy
Go look at Planman1954's gallery for pics and description of his nice 
18 ft solar kiln mounted on a trailer. He fully documented the construction in a series of posts. He successfully dries oak furniture wood.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!