iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NOLA and beyond June 21

Started by Raider Bill, March 30, 2021, 11:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

I'm planning on an inaugural Geezer Glide trip starting Memorial weekend. It will be our first road trip on the trike.

Plan is to ride the coast north to Panama City Beach then onto NOLA.

We want to visit the WW2 and Civil War museums and a few other places. We figure 3 nights. She has free nights there.

From NOLA Sue Ann wants to visit Natchez for a overnight {Greg Isle books}. I figure to slab it to Baton Rouge then follow the Mississippi to Natchez. Overnight.
Maybe route 1 then 15 or something like that...?

From Natchez we'll have another short hop to Vicksburg so I can visit the battle field. Again we'll probably  follow the river. Possible overnight.

Now we are thinking Memphis because she did her Navy A school there and wants to revisit her old military haunts 30 years later..
Me, I vote Shiloh it's not that far away and sort of on the way home but we'll see as times getting short.

From there it's back south and home. Will have one night we can use on the way back. Have heard about the Georgia Grand Canyon neat Columbus or maybe find a nice fish camp on a small lake or river somewhere to relax <br

The attached map has me going too far east on the return trip. I figure to hit 27 to 19 south out of Columbus and catch 98 again south.
It also has me on interstates which I mostly avoid.

So any suggestions, things to see, routes?

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WV Sawmiller

Since you seem to be coming through Columbus Ga you might look into visiting Westville. It is a reconstructed 1850's vintage town made by bringing various buildings from other places and putting them together there. They used to have tours and craftspeople showing blacksmithing and basket weaving and such there that I thought were educational and entertaining.

Andersonville, the old Confederate prison camp, is not too far off the route you are showing and is worth the time. The last time we were there they would give you a tape player and map of the area and you would get a self guided tour of the site. Not one of the most upbeat places to see but very educational and eye-opening.

Y'all have a good safe trip and keep us posted.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Between Natchez and Vicksburg is Lorman which is only 7 miles West of our farm property and the Cabin.  ;)

From Vicksburg you could follow Hwy 61 & Hwy 1 to Memphis.  Not much but cotton fields but it is level Mississippi River Delta country.  You would pass through "Onward" which is where the "Teddy Bear" originated when Theodore Roosevelt would not shoot the bear.  You could eat at the original Doe's Eat Place in Greenville. 

There is not too much to see going I20 to Jackson and then I55 to Memphis.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Have a great and safe trip.
Have you eaten all the cheese yet?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

It is so obvious I did not bother to mention it but it is apparent you planned your trip to drive through the center of the universe but I figure you had already planned at stopping at Auburn University and stocking up on sports attire and probably going to see about feeding the War Eagle. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

@Magicman , what road was it I took home from your place that one time where I had deer literally jumping over on and off the road for miles that was raised up out of a swamp. Natchez Trace Parkway?.  DONT GO THERE IN THE DARK! :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Yup, that was the Natchez Trace but it goes from Natchez to Tupelo (Shiloh) and would bypass Vicksburg and Memphis.  It is a wonderfully lazy way to travel from Natchez to Nashville and is steeped with much history.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Rode Natchez Trace years ago. Had to do some fancy footwork getting out of a ticket. Those Federal traffic Cops have no humor.

I pretty much have stopped riding at night.

Pete, Still have some cheese. It is only eaten on special occasions like when I want some of the best cheese in the world and I do not share.

Personally I could skip Memphis and that may yet happen.

According to Sue Ann we may have another day to spend depending on her schedule.

Magicman

Yup, the Natchez Trace is a Federal Parkway same as the Blue Ridge Parkway.  50 MPH posted speed limit which is why I referred to it as a "wonderfully lazy way to travel from Natchez to Nashville", and I have done just that several times.

I still like and agree with your plans to take in Natchez and Vicksburg even though both are going through some tough times economically. 

Raider Bill

Looks like she got the extra day off so there is no getting out of a Memphis stop. 

We do about anything to stay off interstates so a nice easy ride through cotton land sounds nice. 

Been to Andersonville. Sobering. 

Raider Bill

I'm being told that the best fried chicken in the world is in Lorman.
The Old Country Store restaurant. 

Magicman

Yes, I could have mentioned that.  "Mr D" does have good fried chicken, but the rest of the buffet is nothing really special.  If you will be passing by around noon, then stop, and yes it is worth the stop.

Google: "mr d's fried chicken" or "old country store, lorman".

That store is only 7 miles from my old home and of course was a real store back then.  It was owned by the Cohn family with also included the cotton gin.  After the gin burned things sorta dried up in Lorman.  Earnest Breithaupt, who had always worked as the Bookkeeper for the Cohn's bought it and tried to make a go of it but with limited success.  Mr. D (Davis) bought the store from Earnest.  He abandoned the store business and concentrated only on the restaurant which is only open at noon. 

If he is there ask him to sing the song about his grandmomma being a "cornbread cooking queen". 

Further North is Port Gibson, the town that U.S. Grant said was "too beautiful to burn".

Co-ordinate with me, and PatD and I will meet you there and we could make the loop by the Cabin.

BradMarks

Doesn't look like it's on your route, but could be. Best Fried Catfish I've had (other than Mama's) is Middendorf's at Pass Manchac on I-55. Not fancy a bit, but goooood!.

Don P

QuoteFurther North is Port Gibson, the town that U.S. Grant said was "too beautiful to burn".
I was trying to remember the name, we enjoyed cruising around there taking it in. We finally got off the trace at deer dusk hunting for a motel, can't remember where or the name but whatever you do don't stay at that one.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on April 04, 2021, 08:16:12 PM
Yes, I could have mentioned that.  "Mr D" does have good fried chicken, but the rest of the buffet is nothing really special.  If you will be passing by around noon, then stop, and yes it is worth the stop.

Google: "mr d's fried chicken" or "old country store, lorman".

That store is only 7 miles from my old home and of course was a real store back then.  It was owned by the Cohn family with also included the cotton gin.  After the gin burned things sorta dried up in Lorman.  Earnest Breithaupt, who had always worked as the Bookkeeper for the Cohn's bought it and tried to make a go of it but with limited success.  Mr. D (Davis) bought the store from Earnest.  He abandoned the store business and concentrated only on the restaurant which is only open at noon.  

If he is there ask him to sing the song about his grandmomma being a "cornbread cooking queen".  

Further North is Port Gibson, the town that U.S. Grant said was "too beautiful to burn".

Co-ordinate with me, and PatD and I will meet you there and we could make the loop by the Cabin.

will do.

Magicman

Quote from: Don P on April 05, 2021, 10:51:41 PMhunting for a motel, can't remember where or the name but whatever you do don't stay at that one
You do NOT spend the night between Natchez and Vicksburg!!  :o

Raider Bill

Got the trike pit back together after what was supposed to be a 2-3 day upgrade repair but the suspension people shorted me 2 preload spacers so it turned into a e week wait.

Going to put a couple hundred on her tomorrow to find and glitches before our departure Friday morning weather permitting. 

I added the USS Alabama to our stops. I saw a Battleship (USS Missouri) tided up once always wanted to go aboard and stand by those 16" guns. 

Wudman

I was touched by Old Glory between the guns on the USS Wisconsin.  She is berthed in Norfolk, VA.  I use this picture as my background on "Teams" calls.  

Here she sits in profile.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Raider Bill

Olwhatshername is also a navy vet and is just about as interested in seeing battle ships and battlefields as I am. 

Raider Bill

Made it through NOLA and 3 nights on Bourbon st.  First 2 nights seemed every kid with a pair of drumsticks and a 5 gallon pail was right under our 2nd floor balcony til very late.
3rd night there was a guy playing a sax right under us and doing a real good job of it. Made it a perfect night for us.

Our plans got  changed on the fly so tonight we're detoxing somewhere near Alexandria. Lol

Got caught up in some rain but it felt good in the heat.

Raider Bill

Today we are headed to Vicksburg via Shreveport. 

Magicman

A bit out of the way but it looks like you dodged that storm quite nicely.   :)

It should all be South of you now.  smiley_thumbsup

kantuckid

Things you maybe missed?: Barbers Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham?; Baseball Museum in Birminham?;  Memphis MS river museum?; Memphis BBQ?

I'm not much of a NOLA fan but do like the architecture & enjoy walking among the old houses out in neighborhoods and some of the food-not French fancy stuff though.  Honestly, Birmingham has better BBQ than Memphis-IMO of course.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!