iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic conversion of circular sawmill

Started by Jim1934, April 26, 2021, 09:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luap

"This description is something I need to do. I always thought you set it up for the gig back speed and needle valve the feed to what it can handle. Am I right?" short answer, Yes.
     It will depend on  the gpm of the pump and the motor and the valve. Some valves are very good at feathering the volume to control the flow. I am using the control valve for feed rate and my focus is on the cut. The gig back I can full stroke the valve and focus on advancing the set works or where to stop the carriage to load the next log. So the needle valve restricts max return speed with control valve held all the way back.   I had to downsize my pump as my first attempt,the carriage speed was too fast. I just used what I had laying around as I have collected many hydraulic components over the years. Hydraulics is an expensive hobby.

Jim1934

Thanks to all for responding!
Someone asked about arbor size - 2 5/8.
Electricity only available from portable generator.
I agree that building a speed reduction unit from parts is difficult
especially to power entire saw.
Desire to have separate power source  for carriage so it can be moved  when saw stalls in a cut.
So I won't power hyd. for carriage from main saw arbor.

Yes- I  need more power than JD can deliver. The original IH 6Cyl. 100 hp Diesel is on site
but needs work. It probably can do 50 HP at 1500 RPM and its 8 inch
wood pulley drives a 24 " pulley on saw arbor via an 8 inch twisted flat belt.
Pulleys separated by about 18 feet. I believe 50 Hp would be adequate from what I have observed.
Belt stays on pulleys until we start the cut and then it throws belt.
We are not smart enough to solve that problem and we have tried.
Those two considerations make me look for a new power source.
I am 86 and want to leave my son something better.

The Accord engine solution is especially appealing.
Any "throw the belt" solutions?

Very appreciative. Jim

moodnacreek

Luap, thanks for the reply here. So you restricted the gig and control your feed speed with the hand valve. Not the way I thought after looking a the kit Lanetec once offered. But if your valve gives comfortable control of the feed that all that is needed. I can't help wonder what valve is best. I think prince makes a rotary [motor] valve that might be better than a spool.    Doug

fluidpowerpro

Ive got a bit of experience with Hydraulics so if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

dogone

Jim 1934
The people to ask about belts are threshermen /steam guys.They deal with long flat belt drives all the time. They will have an answer. Start by googling steam engine forums.

Thank You Sponsors!