iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making shiplap.

Started by Dave Shepard, April 28, 2021, 01:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I've got a bunch of shiplap to make. I'm curious how people are making it. I have a tablesaw and a Festool track saw. I don't know if it would be easier to buy a dado set for the table saw, or a router for the Festool track. I'll be making it from 1" white pine. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

alan gage

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 28, 2021, 01:36:26 PM
I've got a bunch of shiplap to make. I'm curious how people are making it. I have a tablesaw and a Festool track saw. I don't know if it would be easier to buy a dado set for the table saw, or a router for the Festool track. I'll be making it from 1" white pine.
I have a powerfeeder so I'd make it on the table saw with dado blade. Probably would even if I didn't have the powerfeeder

Depending how deep the grooves need to be I don't know if the router could make the cut in one pass or not, which would slow down the whole process. If you could do it in one pass it would go pretty quick. If you can find a suitable bearing guided cutter you wouldn't even need the track.
Not sure how much cutting you do on the table saw but owning a power feeder for 6 months I sure have found it to be handy. I don't use it all that often but when I do it's great. Not only is it faster and less tiring but it holds the board flat to the table and gives cleaner, more consistent cuts. Keeps my hands away too. Might be worth looking into.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

newoodguy78

I've done it with a router and table saw quite a bit for any quantity I much prefer the table saw. I always make up some feather boards, one pushing down and one towards the fence.

Southside

Anyone around have a moulder you could hire to do it? We make a pile of it.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

I just need to make small batches for different projects. Not enough to justify hiring it. There is a very good milkwork shop nearby for bigger runs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

firefighter ontheside

I made shiplap out of treated 5/4 x 6 deck boards using just a handheld router and a rabbeting bit with a bearing.  It worked fine.  If I was making it with nicer wood, I would do it on my tablesaw with dado as Alan suggested.  I think it would be much faster than the handheld router and probably safer in the long run.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

tmbrcruiser

I make ship lap from time to time and use a five spindle moulder most of the time. But when I'm asked for random width that doesn't work. The first thing if not using a moulder, the lumber needs to be straight lined and at least one side planned so that all of the lumber is the same thickness. After that I run it on a spindle shaper with power feed. What works for me may not work for you, good luck finding the easy path.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Dave Shepard

Thank you for all the replies. I'm making random width, just as it comes off the mill. I can straight line with the Festool first.

scsmith42

Dave, normally I make shiplap in the moulder but have also used both a shaper as well as a tablesaw with a dado blade to make it.  Both the shaper and the tablesaw have power feeders, which really helps to simplify the process.

When I use the tablesaw I have a sacrificial fence that clamps to the tablesaw fence so that I don't have to move the fence.  This also keeps the blades a safe distance away from the tablesaw fence.

Let me know if you want some pix.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dave Shepard

I can visualize what you are saying. Thanks. 

Trackerbuddy

Do you want to listen to a router for hours on end?

Bruno of NH

Dave,
I have run a bit one time with a hand held router. 
3 1/2 it worked well.
But a molder or table saw/shaper with power feed would be quicker.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!