The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Shameless copy of another member's work  (Read 2147 times)

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: Shameless copy of another member's work
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 08:51:34 AM »
I see you left the rounded top with adds a lot of character I feel. Well done. This rank amateur is going to try that next time.
I caught that too Howard, so us "amateurs" can learn together.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2021, 03:14:12 PM »
@WV Sawmiller I guess I could put it back on the sawmill, and trim it (like the legs of a bench)  but I am sure I would hit some screws. :D :D :D  thanks.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2021, 03:24:23 PM »
Doc,

I am not sure if my leg is being pulled here or not. ???

I have been cogitating about making planters like yours and need more info. Do you cut the sides off, cut the notch, remove the center block then reattach then cut the sides down? Of do you square the bottom, cut a short notch and cut between the notches, cut the sides off, cut the notch deeper then cut the middle out and reattach the sides.

I'm thinking it will be easier to cut the sides off, cut out the center, reattach the sides then cut them down to the desired height with a chainsaw or by putting them back on the mill.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 03:45:01 PM »
I made all of the long cuts first on the mill.  I had two sides and the bottom as flitshed, and left with a 3 sided cant form the center of the log.  then I cross cut the dividers with a saw.  I made them from the section that corresponded with the logs so it matched.  so I had 2 ends, 2 dividers, with 3 chunks that came from the cooler areas.  I used 2 of the for the notched feet.  I think you can see the glue line.  we used the foaming gorilla glue so it would seal and be water proof.  it was a mess and I would just use construction adhesive or titebond III.  or just screws.  A couple has offered to buy it.  we used it for a few outdoor partied.  the cottonwood has held up fine, and has developed a nice patina.
I do think the top could be trimmed flat on the sawmill and yes I was also poking the bear.  (ongoing bench leg trimming banter)   :D :D :D.  I got the idea from the guy who was building the house on his property for his daughter, and he made some logs with internal handles for weight lifting.  I do not remember his handle, but I got the idea from someone else as well.  full disclosure.  
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 10:03:34 AM »
 Y'all should name the planters " M M planter " maybe they'll become the new rage and command a higher price  8) ?
Ed K

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2021, 11:10:23 AM »
  Or since the idea originated with the Doc before the MM I could name them "Doctor One-Glove's Magic planters and coolers" and cover both bases. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 02:43:11 PM »
i got the idea from the industrial arts teacher on here that was helping his HS senior daughter build a cabin on the place.  they made some exercise/weight lifting logs with handles inside.  He seemed to have red hair beard, and wore a straw hat in his avatar pic.  he used the same technique

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2021, 03:35:25 PM »
   Let's see now - so now I have to change the name to "Bearded Redhead's straw hat IA teacher's Dr. One Glove's Magic Planters and Coolers."

This is getting a little unwieldy. Maybe I just need to drop back to my WV customer base and call the "Holler logs fer sale". :D
Howard Green

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2021, 04:54:57 PM »
  I guess I better go cut another Norway spruce and make up a stock of these as I sold the last 2 at the flea market today. Right now I'm pricing them at $10/ft. I'm just going to square the bottom and sides and leave the tops rounded. Depending on the size block I may just cut into boards and use the centers for making crates as Spruce is my preferred wood due to being light weight. A 10"X1"X6" board will make a crate for a dozen pint jars and a 12"X1"X8" will make a crate for a dozen quart jars. I'm signed up for a big flea market Saturday at our State Fairgrounds and will take them there to see if they will sell. 
Howard Green

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2021, 05:31:36 PM »
Right now I'm pricing them at $10/ft.
That is a lot of work and materials for $10 per foot.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2021, 06:16:08 PM »
   Well, probably so but I started with a 2-5' spruce sections about 10-11 inches in diameter off a scrap log. International scale estimates 55 bf if they were 12" at the small end but I doubt I could have gotten more than a 6X6 or 3-2X6's out of them which would have been 30 bf or thereabouts. I don't have much market for spruce and offer to sell it for $1/bf but use more myself than I ever sell. That is over triple what I could sell the rough boards for - and these are selling while the boards are not. I guess to be profitable I really need to salvage the boards out of the middle. Yes there is more handling and there is probably $1 worth of screws in them. I'll cut another tree and will likely sell the bigger, base sections for more and be pretty diligent about saving the centers for boards to use for my other projects.

If I were near a bigger, more upscale market like Charlotte or Knoxville or Atlanta or such I could sell them for more but that is true with my benches, birdhouses and other projects.

What are you suggesting they sell for? What would those wealthy Mississippi millionaires pay for them? I may need to bring a trailer load with me. I have to go to a wedding in NW Fla later this month and maybe I should just ease on over and sell a load - or maybe I can swap them for a load of watermelons that would sell here. (Remember us WV Hillbillies love to barter.) Probably still to early in the season for that. ::)
Howard Green

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2021, 06:40:08 PM »
What are you suggesting they sell for?
I didn't suggest a selling price but I priced the 8' at $500 and a 4' at $300.  Of course I don't sell anything but that is what I priced them at.  :D

The fact that the junker logs were free to you should not affect the selling price because you are setting a baseline and once set, it would be difficult to exceed it. 

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2021, 07:56:56 PM »
MM,

Sounds great to me. 

Let me see, on my 5X8 trailer I can get 5 rows across (assuming 12" diameter planters), and I figure I can go about 4 rows high and since 4' are easier to handle and sell for more, I will figure on loading them 4 rows high. That will be 5 rows wide X 4 rows high X 2 planters deep = 80 planter per trailer load and I should be able to squeeze another 25 in the back of my truck with the 6.5' bed and camper shell so that will be 105 (80 +25) X $300 = $31,500 and I will go ahead and eat the production and transportation costs and, assuming they will be comparable to your marketing costs which you will incur, and with 5% ($1,587.50) to the FF for their cut for brokering this deal and I'll split that with you so we will each pocket  $15,081.25 ($31,750 - $1,587.50 = $30,162.5/2). Please double check my math but I think this is correct. That will still be more than triple what I can get here selling them for $10/foot (105X4'=420'X$10'ft = $4,200) at my current prices.

Assuming I can get 40' of log per tree that will make 10 planters per tree. I will need to cut 10-11 trees to get my 105 planters. Since it is soft wood I should be able to cut that many with 1-2 bands.

I will bring you a load by the end of the month.  :D

You don't think I will run into any problems at the state line binging in raw wood with the bark still on do you? ???
Howard Green

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2021, 08:07:18 PM »
You did too much figuring.  Just go ahead and mail me my half and save yourself the fuel cost and I will pay the entire 5% FF commission.  That way the only "bark" question will be me howling at the moon.  thumbs-up

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2021, 08:17:27 PM »
   I guess that means I should go ahead and cancel my Africa safari I had planned with my share of the profits too, huh? :(
Howard Green

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2021, 09:12:56 PM »
  I guess that means using a simple 4' planter at $300 means $300/4 = $75 per foot is not the solution either? :P Why can't things ever be simple! :D
Howard Green

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2021, 05:29:50 PM »

I went up the hill and cut a 14-15 inch Norway spruce. Looks like I got 56' of useable logs for planter making from it. I cut the 2 smallest logs into planters already and made 8 planters from 2-4 ft long. Two are 4' with a divider and I was going to cut them into 2-2' planters each but I liked the look of the doubles so did not cut them in half. I can always cut them later or just send to them to my broker in Mississippi and let him make that call when they get there. :D

From 8-10 planters depending on whether I cut the 2 on the left side of the picture into 2 each.

I saved a bunch of short one inch thick boards from 5-6 inches wide and from 16" to a little over 3' long that I stacked and stickered and will use for other crafts later.

I did run into some issues with the slabs having tension and not wanting to fit back tight against the hollowed out cant. Then when done it looks like the hydraulics on John went out so I will have to get that checked out/repaired too.

EDIT: Oh yeah, note the rounded top on the plugs in these planters. I just squared the bottom, cut off and saved the sides, cut notches for sawmill blade, sawed the centers out making short boards in the process then reassembled them leaving the rounded tops.
Howard Green

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2021, 07:44:36 PM »
I agree on the rounded tops, but that has to be chalked up to doc.  8)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2021, 08:48:16 PM »
   Does that mean we should raise the asking price? :D

I just got a call from my local bait and tackle shop who also sell plants that he had sold the 2 raised bed planters I'd left there on consignment and wanted me to bring him 2 more. I did the same thing with tomato stakes last year and he probably sold 100 dozen after he found there was a market for them. I still have 3 more planters but one is on the bottom of the trailer for a flea market trip to the fair this Saturday, another is full of my square ft walnut pieces and the other is low grade walnut and I find I have been using it almost like another work station so I went out and knocked out another one out of 3- 8' 1X6 and a 2- 8' 1X8 ash boards. I thought I was about out of 2" square bit head screws but I bumped a board and a box with nearly 2 lbs of them fell off. Thanks goodness for my handy magnet. I'll knock out another in the morning and may even drop off some log planters as I think I can still meet my deadline for my Mississippi delivery. ;D
Howard Green

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2021, 09:46:12 PM »
I'll knock out another in the morning and may even drop off some log planters as I think I can still meet my deadline for my Mississippi delivery.
Somewhere along the line you have gotten very confused and certainly were not paying close attention.  

Now to refresh your recollection; Half of the income comes to me, half goes to doc, and you provide all of the labor, materials, and the 5% FF Commission making this a three way split.  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Low Cost Copy's Of Stihl Shop Tools. Do They Work?? Tried a Case Assembly Tool

Started by weimedog on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post February 13, 2019, 10:15:26 AM
by weimedog
xx
For everyone with a copy/print machine

Started by pappy19 on General Board

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 01:38:53 PM
by Warbird