The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Shameless copy of another member's work  (Read 2123 times)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Shameless copy of another member's work
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2021, 09:47:20 PM »
I just checked the math and that sounds about right to me!   :)   :P   :snowball:
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2021, 10:49:04 PM »
MM,

Did you retire from the IRS? ::) You are beginning to sound like this is going to be a guvmint run operation. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2021, 10:11:31 AM »

Okay here is another copy of another FF members work. May not be the exact design but the idea definitely came from Bruno in NH who apparently sold many of them last year. I don't remember seeing how they are selling for him this year. I built one just before dark last night and another this morning.

One is ash and the other is low grade walnut. I have the two outer ones loaded on the truck to take to the shop this morning to replace 2 he sold yesterday to "some little old lady who came in and bought both of them" according to the my young friend who works there who called about the 2 I had left on consignment. I don't think he thought they would sell. They are also no doubt underpriced but if I raise the price and my broker in Mississippi comes up with an updated distribution plan I will probably go into receivership. ;) 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2021, 08:17:00 PM »
   I got out and cut this 8' log off a 16' one and sawed it up.

I stopped by our florist today and showed her a 2' planter and she decided they were too heavy so I told her I'd try making some 1' versions.

I started 3" from each end and cut out a 6" plug, skipped 6", and repeated. Since the cut out was so short I just used the chainsaw. By the the time I bore cut to get my plug I only had to cut another couple inches anyway. This is the reassembled log.

I went ahead and sawed them up into 4- 1' planters and left 2 as 2' doubles. I can cut them in half later if I find 1' planters sell better. When I finished I had one screw left so I guess I am shut down till I get back to the hardware store. I've been using 3-1/2" deck type screws with a square bit driver (You could use a big Phillips head bit). I went over and got down my last 1"X8"X8' spruce board out of stock and planed it and cut into 12" lengths to make more crates. A 12" wide X 8" high X 18" strips leaves a 12"X16" X 8" crate using my 3/8" X 2' lath strips just fits a dozen quart fruit jars. I use them all over the place for storing cookies, tools, etc. I'm low on stock so wanted some more for my weekend flea market trip. 

I will be close to a Lowes so I'll pick up some stuff to make an outhouse for a lady in Covington VA about 60 miles away who saw my Craigslist ad and ordered one today. She wants to set it by her barn. She says it is too far from the house and no problem for the men but she needed something better. She was thinking an old style deep pit outhouse but decided on a composting toilet with just a plastic tote and sawdust under the bench. I think that will work better and she can always change it later if she doesn't like it. I'll throw in several bags of sawdust for free just because i am such a nice guy. I may have to get creative on a toilet paper holder or something to customize it even more. :D
Howard Green

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2021, 09:06:46 AM »
 Here's my first try at copying y'all's planters.

Next ones I'm going to make the ends 3" and the bottom 2" thick. The 2 I made first are too heavy  :o ;D.
Ed K

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2021, 09:24:12 AM »
Ed,

Looks good. Did you encounter any tension issues when you put the sides back on? Sometimes I have trouble getting, usually only one side, them to lay flat. 

If you like the rounded top look next time just cut the bottom then cut off and save the sides then cut out the centers and reattach the sides without ever cutting off the top.

Note: Be sure you use those only for personal use because if you sell them, due to various patent requirements, you have to pay all labor and processing costs, then send half to Mississippi and half to Kansas City and make a donation to the FF. (Note to all: Jeff does not levy that fee - it is coming from other unnamed members. ;)). I had to stop making mine for a while and started making hat and coat racks instead to keep from going bankrupt. :D :D
Howard Green

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2021, 07:16:06 AM »
 No  I didn't have any trouble with tension but the slabs were only 1 1/2" thick. I don't see how anyone could sell these as they are time consuming to cut out and heavy to move around :o. Rita got this one for her b-day at the end of the month and I'll make 2 more for her nieces and I think I'll steal some of y'all's other idea's  ;D for other sale items. Rita likes the coat hanger piece  8).
Ed K

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2021, 11:52:30 PM »

We had a graduation  party  this past weekend, so I decided to plagiarize my fellow forum members  work.  Got a request  to build a couple more. 

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2021, 06:15:40 AM »
@Nebraska I gotta ask. Dir you make a little 'excursion' on the design with this? Seems to me that your corners down in the bottom where the blade would start/stop is really square. Did you cut the entire center block off then slice  off the end and center dividers and re-attach? This is what I have in mind to do when I take a shot at this. I would think it would save some time but risk more re-assembly issues as noted by the experts here.
 Also, questions for Howard on the planters, I didn't notice any drain holes, what are you thoughts on that?
 I have been following right along here with the intent of giving it a try when/if I can find time to get back on the mill. But I have also been keeping my mouth shut because I notice the rapidly escalating duties, fees, and licensing requirements. ;D :D :)
 What kind of glue(s) are y'all using?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2021, 07:23:46 AM »
 My planters are pretty ugly looking and all 3 of Rita's nieces want one. I put another pine log on the mill then found out I put it on wrong ( butt First ) went to start the mill and the rope broke so I gave up and went to the house and layed on the hot pad  :( .
Ed K

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2021, 08:11:53 AM »
 @Old Greenhorn  I just took the taper and some of the rotten sapwood off of the bottom so it would sit level,  the back side is the same way. Then squared a cant out of the center. I trimmed the dividers  with a fairly  sharp chainsaw. I used Elmer's Gorilla glue look alike (because  that's what the little hardware store in town has)
and six inch coated rss screws. I will add holes in the bottom to place stoppers in so I can drain it.  Debating about finishing  the inside with a paraffin  or bees wax mixture or just leave it to breath. In a month or so I will soak the outside with Viking paint.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2021, 09:47:54 AM »
Nebraska,

Looks good and I really like the top. I also wondered if the divider was still permanently connected to the bed as it is awful square and looks like it was added back afterwards.

When I cut the centers out of mine with the mill I'd get short 1" boards. Not worth it on a 1' planter with a 6" opening so I just cut all that with a chainsaw. When using the mill on the last cut I'd leave the blade spinning and raise slowly to help even out the cut at that end up all still had a little slope to them.

Tom,

I did not install drain holes. The sides generally were not water tight and would allow for some drainage although when wet I understand they will swell and close that gap. The soft wood is pretty porous and is going to wick away a good bit of any standing water. If that is not enough the owner will have to drill a few more holes in the bottom as needed. 

I guess we could seal around the seams and sell them as pet water troughs for people with more money than sense. I'm thinking high end horse owners or an old hippy chick customer of mine with a pet miniature donkey, sheep, pot-bellied pigs, assorted fowl, etc. She is living with a redneck boyfriend with Plott hounds and Pit bulls and a large gun collection. It is very rewarding to see the hippies and the rednecks finally getting together. 
Howard Green

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Low Cost Copy's Of Stihl Shop Tools. Do They Work?? Tried a Case Assembly Tool

Started by weimedog on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post February 13, 2019, 10:15:26 AM
by weimedog
xx
For everyone with a copy/print machine

Started by pappy19 on General Board

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 01:38:53 PM
by Warbird