iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shameless copy of another member's work

Started by WV Sawmiller, April 29, 2021, 05:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Okay, I confess. I shamelessly copied MM's design for his Luke project to make the planters shown in the pictures below. I started with 2- 6' logs I bucked of a small Norway spruce I cut a few months ago. I was going to make it into a couple of 2X6's or such to make bus stops, outhouses or deer blinds.

I squared off the bottom, flipped 180 sawed off the top, rotated 90* sawed off and set aside and cut 2 notches big enough to get my blade into the cut the block out.

I left 3" on the end and 6" in the middle so when finished I could saw it in half and make 2-3' long planters. I put the sides back where they came from and screwed them into place. One side had a lot of tension and was hard to tighten back against the semi-cant it came off of. I repeated with the second log leaving 6" solid plugs at 2' and 4' so I could cut the finished piece into 3-2' planters. I should have cut one side thicker as it ran out on me slightly. I screwed the sides back on and cut into 3 separate planters. I just finished ahead of a rain shower so packed it in.

Weather permitting I will take a load of benches and such to the flea market this weekend and will include these and see if there is any interest in them. I will sell these or make them out of the customer's logs if he has a special log he wants to save.

Thanks MM for the idea.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

EDIT:  5% commission goes to the Forestry Forum the Magicman.

Actually this is/was not my idea because it has been shown/done several times here on the FF, the last of which was by doc henderson.

Your items look very nice and should easily sell.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Since I ain't sold none yet and I am out of pocket the cost of the wood, screws, fuel and band sharpening does that mean they owe me money kinda like the IRS refunding previous years taxes when you lose money the next year? What do they call that - a tax credit or such?

Let me do some cyphering on all my sales now - .05 X $0 = ? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kantuckid

FWIW, I was building various planters long before Luke was born. One of them I sort of wished I'd never built? It was from an old American Chestnut log I drug out of the woods by hand with a rope. I then plunge cut chainsaw holes down into the top and plugged the hollow log ends with similar old wood disc. It had three miniature roses in it for some years then fell apart. 
When I saw Lukes pop cooler my initial thought was how nice it was for MM to be working with his GS! I helped my GD build trivets to sell recently in my shop. She's in 5th grade, not HS. My secondar thought was that they went to far too much trouble to build it if the side were gonna be boards anyway. Just screw boards together? 
WV's version is bark sides and avoids Lukes patented pop cooler IMO, thus no commission is due? :D
I have seen several Applachian wooden troughs that I felt sorry for the builders who hollowed them. No sign of burning them out either? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Magicman

Quote from: kantuckid on May 02, 2021, 10:05:01 AMMy secondar thought was that they went to far too much trouble to build it if the side were gonna be boards anyway. Just screw boards together? WV's version is bark sides and avoids Lukes patented pop cooler IMO, thus no commission is due?
What gave you the idea that Luke's drink cooler was boards on the outside instead of the bark sides??  True the bark had slipped, but it was still the rounded bark side.  smiley_headscratch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

mine was from a scuzzy old cottonwood with no real future.  the less dense woods are eventually lighter and the thicker sides are better insulators.  can cover with a silver top tarp, like an emergency space blanket until ready to be used in a short post grad. get together.  i like the idea of using the top of the log for cover as well.  made our for ourselves, but did get a call from the trauma nurse from Wichita to buy it for a party, but they did not find transportation in time.  (pickup).
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

The one that we built weighed what the log weighted so to transport it required some lifting help, think Kubota.   ;)  We could have shortened the "feet" ½ or more which would have reduced the weight quite a bit.

We had quite a few inquiries so that may not be the only one that we make.  ::)

caveman

I built an herb garden using a live oak log for my mother several years ago after seeing David Poston do something similar with a red oak log and a large pine.  The live oak has mostly rotted but still has some herbs in it but it no longer stands on legs but is on the ground decaying.
Caveman

kantuckid

Hey Luke- I take it all back.  :-[

We visited the greenhouse we like for wife's annuals on Friday and she also sells driftwood pieces and creations collected by a neighbor of mine which she fills with her flowers as well. He/she had several giraffes made from driftwood with flower cavities in their backs. A new thing he had was logs with hollows such as an owl or squirrel side hole in them and flowers peeking out all over. Probably local logger waste as this guys not that "work brickle", he lives off of this "found" stuff.  The Corps of Engineer's got after him for collecting driftwood off the nearby Cave Run Lake shores some years back. I see him now and then with his old Ranger PU and the back full of the stuff headed for florists and taxidermy shops. He also tears down old bldgs and builds crude benches, etc. for greenhouse sales. My wife and I always have our eye out for such forest jewels of old tree stumps to sit in her flower beds. One we still have always reminds the viewer of a small javelina/wild pig. Another is an oval slab of driftwood that found it's way to KY from Moosehead lake in ME. I carved dogwood blossoms on it and our name as an entrance greeting near our home=leans against a big WO tree base. 
I've never made a pop cooler... But I did make a bunch of wooden wheelbarrows for flowers which ended up years later as a pile of iron wheels in front of my shop after they all rotted away. :D 

Brad_bb

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

kantuckid

I'm remembering having read about how the Chinese at first copied Delta-Rockwell woodworking machines then got chosen to make them for the parent company. 
Quite flattering, as it were.  :D

WV Sawmiller

I went up and cut 8' and a 5' section out of the top of a poplar and cut the 8' piece in half. I was going to make a 4' and 2-2' planters but did not cut far enough at the end with my chainsaw on the 4' and broke the end plug trying to wiggle the center block out so I tossed it then when I  went to cut the 2-2' planters I overshot my mark and sawed the center out so ended up with one 4' planter. The bark is trying to peel out off one end and I may just go ahead and peel it. Oh well, such is life. I still have all my body parts and the mill is still intact and I have one more planter ready to sell. 
Howard Green

Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Sad but true but like the constipated patient finishing his 3rd glass of prune juice said "This too shall pass." ;)
Howard Green

doc henderson

the constipated math teacher, used a slide ruler to work it out.  On my cooler I made all the long cuts, then segmented the center section (cant)  and then glued and screwed it back together.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

here it is empty but with the thermostat at the low setting.

getting loaded for my birthday...  the cooler is getting loaded for my 60th,   :) smiley_beertoast

after a little defrosting.  bark now off.

Ed_K

I didn't catch your B-day but hope you had a great day anyways.
Ed K

doc henderson

thanks Ed, it was back in October, but that is when the pic was from.   :)

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

I defer to your superior wisdom and craftsmanship and will throw out the patterns from the MM wannabee. I see you just squared the bottom, removed the sides, then cut your notch, removed the center then reattached the sides. I see you left the rounded top with adds a lot of character I feel. Well done. This rank amateur is going to try that next time. :D
Howard Green

doc henderson

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 05, 2021, 08:25:27 AMI see you left the rounded top with adds a lot of character I feel. Well done. This rank amateur is going to try that next time.
I caught that too Howard, so us "amateurs" can learn together.  :D

doc henderson

@WV Sawmiller I guess I could put it back on the sawmill, and trim it (like the legs of a bench)  but I am sure I would hit some screws. :D :D :D  thanks.

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

I am not sure if my leg is being pulled here or not. ???

I have been cogitating about making planters like yours and need more info. Do you cut the sides off, cut the notch, remove the center block then reattach then cut the sides down? Of do you square the bottom, cut a short notch and cut between the notches, cut the sides off, cut the notch deeper then cut the middle out and reattach the sides.

I'm thinking it will be easier to cut the sides off, cut out the center, reattach the sides then cut them down to the desired height with a chainsaw or by putting them back on the mill.
Howard Green

doc henderson

I made all of the long cuts first on the mill.  I had two sides and the bottom as flitshed, and left with a 3 sided cant form the center of the log.  then I cross cut the dividers with a saw.  I made them from the section that corresponded with the logs so it matched.  so I had 2 ends, 2 dividers, with 3 chunks that came from the cooler areas.  I used 2 of the for the notched feet.  I think you can see the glue line.  we used the foaming gorilla glue so it would seal and be water proof.  it was a mess and I would just use construction adhesive or titebond III.  or just screws.  A couple has offered to buy it.  we used it for a few outdoor partied.  the cottonwood has held up fine, and has developed a nice patina.
I do think the top could be trimmed flat on the sawmill and yes I was also poking the bear.  (ongoing bench leg trimming banter)   :D :D :D.  I got the idea from the guy who was building the house on his property for his daughter, and he made some logs with internal handles for weight lifting.  I do not remember his handle, but I got the idea from someone else as well.  full disclosure.  

Ed_K

Y'all should name the planters " M M planter " maybe they'll become the new rage and command a higher price  8) ?
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!