iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shameless copy of another member's work

Started by WV Sawmiller, April 29, 2021, 05:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Or since the idea originated with the Doc before the MM I could name them "Doctor One-Glove's Magic planters and coolers" and cover both bases. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

i got the idea from the industrial arts teacher on here that was helping his HS senior daughter build a cabin on the place.  they made some exercise/weight lifting logs with handles inside.  He seemed to have red hair beard, and wore a straw hat in his avatar pic.  he used the same technique
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Let's see now - so now I have to change the name to "Bearded Redhead's straw hat IA teacher's Dr. One Glove's Magic Planters and Coolers."

This is getting a little unwieldy. Maybe I just need to drop back to my WV customer base and call the "Holler logs fer sale". :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

I guess I better go cut another Norway spruce and make up a stock of these as I sold the last 2 at the flea market today. Right now I'm pricing them at $10/ft. I'm just going to square the bottom and sides and leave the tops rounded. Depending on the size block I may just cut into boards and use the centers for making crates as Spruce is my preferred wood due to being light weight. A 10"X1"X6" board will make a crate for a dozen pint jars and a 12"X1"X8" will make a crate for a dozen quart jars. I'm signed up for a big flea market Saturday at our State Fairgrounds and will take them there to see if they will sell. 
Howard Green

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 09, 2021, 04:54:57 PMRight now I'm pricing them at $10/ft.
That is a lot of work and materials for $10 per foot.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Well, probably so but I started with a 2-5' spruce sections about 10-11 inches in diameter off a scrap log. International scale estimates 55 bf if they were 12" at the small end but I doubt I could have gotten more than a 6X6 or 3-2X6's out of them which would have been 30 bf or thereabouts. I don't have much market for spruce and offer to sell it for $1/bf but use more myself than I ever sell. That is over triple what I could sell the rough boards for - and these are selling while the boards are not. I guess to be profitable I really need to salvage the boards out of the middle. Yes there is more handling and there is probably $1 worth of screws in them. I'll cut another tree and will likely sell the bigger, base sections for more and be pretty diligent about saving the centers for boards to use for my other projects.

If I were near a bigger, more upscale market like Charlotte or Knoxville or Atlanta or such I could sell them for more but that is true with my benches, birdhouses and other projects.

What are you suggesting they sell for? What would those wealthy Mississippi millionaires pay for them? I may need to bring a trailer load with me. I have to go to a wedding in NW Fla later this month and maybe I should just ease on over and sell a load - or maybe I can swap them for a load of watermelons that would sell here. (Remember us WV Hillbillies love to barter.) Probably still to early in the season for that. ::)
Howard Green

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 09, 2021, 06:16:08 PMWhat are you suggesting they sell for?
I didn't suggest a selling price but I priced the 8' at $500 and a 4' at $300.  Of course I don't sell anything but that is what I priced them at.  :D

The fact that the junker logs were free to you should not affect the selling price because you are setting a baseline and once set, it would be difficult to exceed it. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Sounds great to me. 

Let me see, on my 5X8 trailer I can get 5 rows across (assuming 12" diameter planters), and I figure I can go about 4 rows high and since 4' are easier to handle and sell for more, I will figure on loading them 4 rows high. That will be 5 rows wide X 4 rows high X 2 planters deep = 80 planter per trailer load and I should be able to squeeze another 25 in the back of my truck with the 6.5' bed and camper shell so that will be 105 (80 +25) X $300 = $31,500 and I will go ahead and eat the production and transportation costs and, assuming they will be comparable to your marketing costs which you will incur, and with 5% ($1,587.50) to the FF for their cut for brokering this deal and I'll split that with you so we will each pocket  $15,081.25 ($31,750 - $1,587.50 = $30,162.5/2). Please double check my math but I think this is correct. That will still be more than triple what I can get here selling them for $10/foot (105X4'=420'X$10'ft = $4,200) at my current prices.

Assuming I can get 40' of log per tree that will make 10 planters per tree. I will need to cut 10-11 trees to get my 105 planters. Since it is soft wood I should be able to cut that many with 1-2 bands.

I will bring you a load by the end of the month.  :D

You don't think I will run into any problems at the state line binging in raw wood with the bark still on do you? ???
Howard Green

Magicman

You did too much figuring.  Just go ahead and mail me my half and save yourself the fuel cost and I will pay the entire 5% FF commission.  That way the only "bark" question will be me howling at the moon.  thumbs-up

WV Sawmiller

I guess that means I should go ahead and cancel my Africa safari I had planned with my share of the profits too, huh? :(
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

I guess that means using a simple 4' planter at $300 means $300/4 = $75 per foot is not the solution either? :P Why can't things ever be simple! :D
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

I went up the hill and cut a 14-15 inch Norway spruce. Looks like I got 56' of useable logs for planter making from it. I cut the 2 smallest logs into planters already and made 8 planters from 2-4 ft long. Two are 4' with a divider and I was going to cut them into 2-2' planters each but I liked the look of the doubles so did not cut them in half. I can always cut them later or just send to them to my broker in Mississippi and let him make that call when they get there. :D

From 8-10 planters depending on whether I cut the 2 on the left side of the picture into 2 each.

I saved a bunch of short one inch thick boards from 5-6 inches wide and from 16" to a little over 3' long that I stacked and stickered and will use for other crafts later.

I did run into some issues with the slabs having tension and not wanting to fit back tight against the hollowed out cant. Then when done it looks like the hydraulics on John went out so I will have to get that checked out/repaired too.

EDIT: Oh yeah, note the rounded top on the plugs in these planters. I just squared the bottom, cut off and saved the sides, cut notches for sawmill blade, sawed the centers out making short boards in the process then reassembled them leaving the rounded tops.
Howard Green

Magicman

I agree on the rounded tops, but that has to be chalked up to doc.  8)

WV Sawmiller

Does that mean we should raise the asking price? :D

I just got a call from my local bait and tackle shop who also sell plants that he had sold the 2 raised bed planters I'd left there on consignment and wanted me to bring him 2 more. I did the same thing with tomato stakes last year and he probably sold 100 dozen after he found there was a market for them. I still have 3 more planters but one is on the bottom of the trailer for a flea market trip to the fair this Saturday, another is full of my square ft walnut pieces and the other is low grade walnut and I find I have been using it almost like another work station so I went out and knocked out another one out of 3- 8' 1X6 and a 2- 8' 1X8 ash boards. I thought I was about out of 2" square bit head screws but I bumped a board and a box with nearly 2 lbs of them fell off. Thanks goodness for my handy magnet. I'll knock out another in the morning and may even drop off some log planters as I think I can still meet my deadline for my Mississippi delivery. ;D
Howard Green

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 10, 2021, 08:48:16 PMI'll knock out another in the morning and may even drop off some log planters as I think I can still meet my deadline for my Mississippi delivery.
Somewhere along the line you have gotten very confused and certainly were not paying close attention.  

Now to refresh your recollection; Half of the income comes to me, half goes to doc, and you provide all of the labor, materials, and the 5% FF Commission making this a three way split.  :)

doc henderson

I just checked the math and that sounds about right to me!   :)   :P   :snowball:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Did you retire from the IRS? ::) You are beginning to sound like this is going to be a guvmint run operation. :D
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Okay here is another copy of another FF members work. May not be the exact design but the idea definitely came from Bruno in NH who apparently sold many of them last year. I don't remember seeing how they are selling for him this year. I built one just before dark last night and another this morning.

One is ash and the other is low grade walnut. I have the two outer ones loaded on the truck to take to the shop this morning to replace 2 he sold yesterday to "some little old lady who came in and bought both of them" according to the my young friend who works there who called about the 2 I had left on consignment. I don't think he thought they would sell. They are also no doubt underpriced but if I raise the price and my broker in Mississippi comes up with an updated distribution plan I will probably go into receivership. ;) 
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

I got out and cut this 8' log off a 16' one and sawed it up.

I stopped by our florist today and showed her a 2' planter and she decided they were too heavy so I told her I'd try making some 1' versions.

I started 3" from each end and cut out a 6" plug, skipped 6", and repeated. Since the cut out was so short I just used the chainsaw. By the the time I bore cut to get my plug I only had to cut another couple inches anyway. This is the reassembled log.

I went ahead and sawed them up into 4- 1' planters and left 2 as 2' doubles. I can cut them in half later if I find 1' planters sell better. When I finished I had one screw left so I guess I am shut down till I get back to the hardware store. I've been using 3-1/2" deck type screws with a square bit driver (You could use a big Phillips head bit). I went over and got down my last 1"X8"X8' spruce board out of stock and planed it and cut into 12" lengths to make more crates. A 12" wide X 8" high X 18" strips leaves a 12"X16" X 8" crate using my 3/8" X 2' lath strips just fits a dozen quart fruit jars. I use them all over the place for storing cookies, tools, etc. I'm low on stock so wanted some more for my weekend flea market trip. 

I will be close to a Lowes so I'll pick up some stuff to make an outhouse for a lady in Covington VA about 60 miles away who saw my Craigslist ad and ordered one today. She wants to set it by her barn. She says it is too far from the house and no problem for the men but she needed something better. She was thinking an old style deep pit outhouse but decided on a composting toilet with just a plastic tote and sawdust under the bench. I think that will work better and she can always change it later if she doesn't like it. I'll throw in several bags of sawdust for free just because i am such a nice guy. I may have to get creative on a toilet paper holder or something to customize it even more. :D
Howard Green

Ed_K

Here's my first try at copying y'all's planters.

Next ones I'm going to make the ends 3" and the bottom 2" thick. The 2 I made first are too heavy  :o ;D.
Ed K

WV Sawmiller

Ed,

Looks good. Did you encounter any tension issues when you put the sides back on? Sometimes I have trouble getting, usually only one side, them to lay flat. 

If you like the rounded top look next time just cut the bottom then cut off and save the sides then cut out the centers and reattach the sides without ever cutting off the top.

Note: Be sure you use those only for personal use because if you sell them, due to various patent requirements, you have to pay all labor and processing costs, then send half to Mississippi and half to Kansas City and make a donation to the FF. (Note to all: Jeff does not levy that fee - it is coming from other unnamed members. ;)). I had to stop making mine for a while and started making hat and coat racks instead to keep from going bankrupt. :D :D
Howard Green

Ed_K

No  I didn't have any trouble with tension but the slabs were only 1 1/2" thick. I don't see how anyone could sell these as they are time consuming to cut out and heavy to move around :o. Rita got this one for her b-day at the end of the month and I'll make 2 more for her nieces and I think I'll steal some of y'all's other idea's  ;D for other sale items. Rita likes the coat hanger piece  8).
Ed K

Nebraska

We had a graduation  party  this past weekend, so I decided to plagiarize my fellow forum members  work.  Got a request  to build a couple more. 

Old Greenhorn

@Nebraska I gotta ask. Dir you make a little 'excursion' on the design with this? Seems to me that your corners down in the bottom where the blade would start/stop is really square. Did you cut the entire center block off then slice  off the end and center dividers and re-attach? This is what I have in mind to do when I take a shot at this. I would think it would save some time but risk more re-assembly issues as noted by the experts here.
 Also, questions for Howard on the planters, I didn't notice any drain holes, what are you thoughts on that?
 I have been following right along here with the intent of giving it a try when/if I can find time to get back on the mill. But I have also been keeping my mouth shut because I notice the rapidly escalating duties, fees, and licensing requirements. ;D :D :)
 What kind of glue(s) are y'all using?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ed_K

My planters are pretty ugly looking and all 3 of Rita's nieces want one. I put another pine log on the mill then found out I put it on wrong ( butt First ) went to start the mill and the rope broke so I gave up and went to the house and layed on the hot pad  :( .
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!