iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber frame peg removal

Started by Jayjay, May 08, 2021, 01:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayjay

Hi guys
Completely new to timber frame. Carpenter for 30 years so I know a little. 
Any other ideas on removing pegs from 150 year old house. Tried everything. Bent my 4' bar trying. 
Any ideas begfore I give up and drill it out. ?
Thanks

moosehunter

You should post this in the timber frame log home section.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Don P

Do you understand drawboring, which was likely done to assemble the frame? 
The path the pegs follow is probably not a straight line but set up with the holes slightly offset to "draw" the joint tighter as the tapered peg is driven home. The pegs were likely dry and installed into green timber which has bitten into them as it seasoned, and then over the years as the building has experienced loads there is likely some shearing of the pegs and interscting faces of the joints, binding them tighter. If you've seen double shear diagrams, that's what you probably have.

All that to say, drill them out with a slightly undersized bit, preferably drilling in from each side through the mortise cheeks but not into the offset hole in the tenon. Then sneak up on the edges with a smaller forstner bit or try to collapse the peg wood into the drilled hole.

Jayjay

Thanks
I think I'm in over my head. Again. 

Don P

"Ain't scared" gets me in more trouble  :D

Tom King

I had missed this, earlier.

For pegs you can't get to the back of, I use a slide hammer.  For autobody work, they come in a kit with all sorts of things to put on the ends.

I have a couple of picture of me pulling some small, 1/2" pegs, but it works the same for large pegs.  It works the same way.  You just have to use progressively larger eye screws as the pegs get bigger.

Jim_Rogers

Once the peg is out of the timber a little, it may split from the screw pulling it out. To prevent that from happening, put a hose clamp around the peg and it will hold it together.
works for me.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!