iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with I.D.

Started by Jeff, June 06, 2021, 07:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'll bet @SwampDonkey knows what this is. He knows everything that grows in my area of the u.p. I think as it is so similar to his latitude.

I have thinned around it over the years and it is really a handsome feature of the cabin. The birds love it.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

I love the form of them, we lost our last one by the house a few years ago.

Jeff

firefighter ontheside

I would have said dogwood, but didn't look exactly like the ones around me.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Jeff

It looks so different from the redosier dogwood that is so prolific here. I have to beat that back every year, where this I've been trying to nurture due to it's pleasing form. Its especially healthy looking this year.

Thank you Don.:)

SwampDonkey

Yup, got a huge one up near the woodlot.

I haven't owned a Dodge in 15 years. :D

Old Thread

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

i save every dogwood i encounter on the future homesite/woodlot.  i probably have 15 of them now. i meant to, but missed the blooming window this spring to go put pink flagging tape on them like ive done with some little save maples. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

I do the same thing here with Dogwoods and other flowering trees.  Some years I find new ones in an area I have been through dozens of times, not everything flowers every year.  This spring I found three Serviceberry / Shad trees in a tree line between two fields I can not begin to guess how many times I have driven, walked, or ridden by, they were only in flower for a few days.  Noticed yesterday they have seed pods now.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: mike_belben on June 06, 2021, 03:28:17 PM
i save every dogwood i encounter on the future homesite/woodlot.  i probably have 15 of them now. i meant to, but missed the blooming window this spring to go put pink flagging tape on them like ive done with some little save maples.
Pink tape? That will drive the surveyors crazy! :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

LeeB

We have hundreds of dogwoods on our place and heaven forbid if I ever happen to cut one down. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

mike_belben

well.. im the surveyor too.   ;)
Praise The Lord

Old saw fixer

Dogwood and redbuds are both keepers!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Clark

If you give it a little more sun it will develop into more of a small tree but never completely out of the bush stage. I think they are pretty neat looking in full sun and rather shrubby in the shade. Yours appears to be somewhere between the two.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Jeff

Correct, kinda in between now, but it must of came to be in full shade. I recognized the uniqueness when I was clearing to the field and spared it. This was mostly brush as recently as 4 years ago. You couldn't see into the field other than straight down the trail past the outhouse. There are a couple of iffy aspen growing there yet I will take out. This specimen I think deserves some special attention.

mike_belben

It is a species of great legend. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!