iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anchor frame to foundation

Started by addicted, June 09, 2021, 08:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

addicted

Whats your preferred method of anchoring a frame to a foundation?
Our original plan was to set simpson straps into the concrete when poured.  However after the j bolts were inserted for the mud sill, the concrete started to set up quickly.  We're now looking at the epoxy all thread with bracket or the  simpson strong tie concrete screw through a bracket. I haven't used the strong tie yet and was wondering if anyone had experience worth sharing.
Rusty

flyingparks

There are a lot of threads here that address this question. A quick search and you should see multiple options. If you tell us a little about your frame we can be a little more helpful. Are you needing to anchor timber sills or posts?

Don P

I've tried to advocate here for hanging all that hardware from the formwork prior to the pour, the main reason is it gets it in the right place but also "wet stabbing" anchors is prohibited. I've used the Titan screws from Simpson a few times, in shear loading only and they did fine. I can't speak to how they perform in withdrawal in the real world but you can check the spec sheets. I was impressed with them. There's a 1/2"x6" one we stuck in the slab along the far wall in my partner's garage. We've hooked a winch to it a few times to drag dead trucks and equipment inside with.

addicted

One hard lesson I continue to struggle with is pouring concrete when everybody else is ready to go but me. All the surrounding variables involved always seem to push for earlier pour or maybe no pour for months. Maybe that's just the sales pitch in the concrete world.
 Anyway the posts will sit on a standard treated 2x mud sill in which the anchor will pass through into the concrete. The only two options that seem to be common for this are the screw or the epoxy and all thread  through a simpson bracket atached to the post. One of the other challenges is I'd rather have the bracket attached to one of the two sides of the post in line with the concrete, and it would be easier to attach the bracket on the post before dropping the post in the hole through the main floor deck already installed. I understand the engineering numbers should be a determining factor however in the past I've done a lot of "academic" work deciding to go in one direction with a product because of the numbers, only to realize the installation was not feasible for the application. So I thought asking the group here might point me in the right direction or advise against from their previous experiences. 

Don P

If this is a conventionally framed floor deck you can attach the 2x mudsill to the foundation, make a true connection between sill and rim joist and attach the rim to the posts, satisfying the continuous load path by connecting the posts to a well secured floor system rather than trying to pin the posts to the foundation directly... or maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue.

addicted

That would explain a lot Don.  Ive seen some big name TF company's use basic looking L brackets connecting the post to sill/rim board but they also were using sips. I figured the combination of those materials allowed them to use a minimal bracket in that application. When we built our barn the inspector wanted a "significant post to foundation anchor". I assumed they wanted to see a similar attachment for the house ,however like you said, the house has a conventional I joist/rimboard/mudsill configuration. The barn did not. I like your idea of attaching it to the sill.

Don P

It sounds like a detail drawing on the plan for the inspector's approval is in order. 

kantuckid

I've seen fabricated beam post brackets for sale on FB Marketplace. Cheaper than Simpsons product. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Larry

Quote from: addicted on June 09, 2021, 08:25:38 AMWe're now looking at the epoxy all thread with bracket or the  simpson strong tie concrete screw through a bracket. I haven't used the strong tie yet and was wondering if anyone had experience worth sharing.
Rusty
I built a tornado shelter built based on a FEMA design.  The only approved fastener was epoxy all thread.  I haven't tested it yet, so I don't know if it is better than the anything else.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!