iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CTL operations near DownEast Maine

Started by treemuncher, July 07, 2021, 12:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treemuncher

I'm on "vacation" in Washington County, Maine visiting the in-laws and staying at the family's camp here in Harrington. I've trimmed out our access road, again, so that my Cowboy Cadillac won't get scratched getting back and forth to camp. That's usually enough machete and pole saw time for me until the next visit and I do not enjoy working with those hand tools. I've bush hogged for my FIL, pulled maintenance on his tractor and run out of work there. All I see is trees, trees, trees everywhere and the potential for more work. I keep thinking about having a machine up here while we visit but that's  too much aggravation to be involved with. I'm hungry as ever to cut, mulch or mangle vegetation. Yes, it is an addiction.

Me, vacation? Never. It's always go-go-go with some sort of project but the wife is complaining and wanting me to sit still for days at a time. I can't ingest that much alcohol without feeling like crap the next day or doing something stupid while under the influence. I'm watching the seals mangle a bait ball right now and that has lost its charm. I did enough flooring, countertops and cabinets last year that she wants a break from all of the projects. I still have the need to be productive and enjoy myself. I'll admit it, I'm addicted to operating heavy equipment.

So, a quick shout out to any of you Mainers, especially DownEasters that are running timber operations. I would absolutely love to try running some CTL equipment and watching it up close within reason. I've watched plenty of videos about Ponsse and other brands doing their thing but no one in the South runs anything like that close to me and I do not have a need for one of those machines in my inventory. I would gladly donate some of my time to get a chance to operate some equipment to break my boredom while in the Northeast. I left the motorcycle at home this year so no touring time. I'm jonesing to get back on big iron for a while before I get back home and start my regular routine. Even some time on an excavator will be soothing if nothing else is available. Two of the best things in life, other than the wife, is the woods and heavy iron.

Anyone like me does not just let anyone run their equipment. I am no cowboy on iron. I take great care with what I own and even more care with other people's equipment. I have more education than most operators and I also manage to keep a stellar safety record by thinking 3 steps ahead on almost every move that I make. Resumes are available on request but my last 24 years has been mulching and occasional saw cutting when required, several years of dirt work before that. If processors are difficult to run, let's talk about my Menzi Muck with 31 potential functions per hand, 4 foot pedals and another bank of 30+ switches to keep my brain occupied. It's like heaven for the bored brain as I calculate the most efficient method to solve the issues at hand while on the fly.

So, if you are doing some sort of forestry operation anywhere near DownEast and you have an interest in showing off your CTL stuff, please send me a PM. If I can lend a hand, even better!

TreeMuncher.com  Where only the chosen remain standing

barbender

Where is your location in the South? There are several Ponsse CTL teams working in the region.
Too many irons in the fire

snowstorm

You can come watch if you want. But running the harvester I don't think so. It's not something you learn in a hour or two. I am working one hour west of ellsworth

nativewolf

If you find a ponsse they are a bit roomier than most of the other machines.  Heck the forwarder has an extra bench.
Liking Walnut

barbender

The Ponsse harvesters have a bench as well, except for the Scorpion model. When factory trainers go out with those machines, it gets quite interesting for them trying to fit in that cab with the operator. Hint- it works way better if the trainer is physically small😂
Too many irons in the fire

Riwaka

treemuncher

Quote from: barbender on July 07, 2021, 12:55:33 PM
Where is your location in the South? There are several Ponsse CTL teams working in the region.
I live in West TN but currently in DownEast Maine while on vacation. While at home, I have lots of work but little free time. While on vacation, lots of available time but nothing to work with. I get stir crazy if I don't stay busy.
Quote from: snowstorm on July 07, 2021, 05:23:05 PM
You can come watch if you want. But running the harvester I don't think so. It's not something you learn in a hour or two. I am working one hour west of ellsworth
Thanks for the info Snowstorm. I will likely reach out to you if I can free up a day to run over that far and if we don't get washed away tomorrow. I know it would take a special trust for anyone to let me try out a machine like a harvester. I pick up mechanical stuff very quickly. I am self taught with most vehicle or machine that I operate with the exception of the chain saw - I took a Master Logger course for that decades ago. I'm also self taught at flying RC planes and choppers without the aid of computer sims years ago - many told me THAT could not be done without a trainer cord. Much like any machine, finesse and efficiency take years to master but a slow and careful learning approach can lead to operations without damage or destruction of the tool.

Quote from: Riwaka on July 08, 2021, 12:19:43 AM
Check to see if the summer logging machinery operators course is going?

https://maineloggers.com/mechanized-logging-operations-program/
Thanks for that. If I was going to be up here long enough, maybe I could consider it for a fun addition to my resume. I could likely even write it off on my business but logging will never be my main objective in business. I am a destroyer of trees, not a harvester of timber. That takes employees and I will never return to that situation in my life. This is just something I would like to operate before I retire out of my operating days. I've got a great gig going in my current business and I love what I do. I don't see how one of these machines could replace what I run but the more I learn, the better. I might also be able to help put customers together with other contractors if I make the right connections. 

Southside

Quote from: treemuncher on July 07, 2021, 12:30:55 PMll I see is trees, trees, trees everywhere and the potential for more work. I keep thinking about having a machine up here while we visit

Better bring plenty of spare teeth with ya.  The soil up there is a lot thinner than it is back in TN, mostly because that soil is now called New Jersey and Maryland thanks to the last ice age.  Growing up I didn't realize that not everyone picked rocks every year.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

By the looks of this place they was a picking here!! But looks like they ran out of time. ;D
I remember when they cut the lot next to me. They dragged the trees out, limbs and all. Looked like you could jump from rock to rock and never touch the ground.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

Do you know anyone with a atv or sxs you could use? The sunrise trail is rite there and with all the side trails it would take a week to see them all.

treemuncher

Quote from: Southside on July 08, 2021, 10:10:39 PM

Better bring plenty of spare teeth with ya.  The soil up there is a lot thinner than it is back in TN, mostly because that soil is now called New Jersey and Maryland thanks to the last ice age.  Growing up I didn't realize that not everyone picked rocks every year.  
Unless I get further west, I deal with lots of rocky soils every day. Limestone, flint, shale, sands, chert, redrock, sandstone, iron ore stone and more are all within my typical service area. Not so much large round exposed rock on the surface, but I am constantly in the crap that wears teeth fast. It's like heaven when I get into Mississippi Silt Loam and even the soft teeth stay sharp for over a week.

Quote from: snowstorm on July 09, 2021, 06:59:27 AM
Do you know anyone with a atv or sxs you could use? The sunrise trail is rite there and with all the side trails it would take a week to see them all.
I wish I had known that on Tuesday. We rode my SIL's Polaris over to Franklin and beyond but not quite to Ellsworth. We had lunch at the base of Schoodic Mtn at the picnic tables. Nice view! I should have time to get out again next week.

snowstorm

If you go east on the sunrise trail there is a log cabin open front with a short history of the railroad. In Edmond township. At Ayers junction keep going. When coming to rt one go left first rite follow sign to boat ramp. There you can almost throw a rock to canada

snowstorm

A good map helps with the connector trails and install the Polaris ride command app on your phone

treemuncher

Snowstorm, thanks for the heads up on the Polaris Ride Command app. That was the electronic trail map that I have been looking for for weeks. That will make our outings much more enjoyable rather than blindly exploring dead ends. It may not have every trail that the local clubs have but it certainly gives me a clue as to where we can ride to.

I'll be available to watch your operations and meet you Tuesday and on through the week. The wife has me hanging more cabinets and painting, today. I did send you a PM with my text number. Directions to a work site would be great. I hope I get a chance to meet and watch. Maybe I can return the favor if you ever visit the south.

Thank You Sponsors!