iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much is to much to money to put into a low shouted deisel engine

Started by Hayseed, December 29, 2020, 08:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayseed

I recently pitched a used Timber Harvester That has been sitting unused for several years. It has a low houred lombardini 2204t on it. (30 orginal hours) Probably is the injectors and nozzles are hummed up and need replaced. How much is to much money to put in to this engine ? 

Thanks for any advice. :new_year:

Tacotodd

IF it's what I think it is, a typical 4cyl diesel, $500 would not be excessive!
Trying harder everyday.

seedling

Quote from: Hayseed on December 29, 2020, 08:43:28 AM
I recently pitched a used Timber Harvester That has been sitting unused for several years. It has a low houred lombardini 2204t on it. (30 orginal hours) Probably is the injectors and nozzles are hummed up and need replaced. How much is to much money to put in to this engine ?

Thanks for any advice. :new_year:

I never seen one but they're good engines! IF the 30 hours is legit, just try to fire it up. Injectors are very high pressure thingies, sitting really does nothing to them (well, 20 years might). Once you get it running enough to oil it up good, do a compression check, diesels with less than 350 psi need rings as a minimum, still cheap enough, and if it needs rings then probably bearings too. Above that you're looking a $500-600 for an in-frame kit or a little more for a full kit, plus labor unless rolling your own (a good mechanic can build in a couple of days except for parts timing farmed-out to like a machine shop). But if the pump is shot, and it can rust out pretty bad from just sitting if there wa any water in it, that alone could cost twice that. I always do a full build, several thousand, lets me sleep like a baby at night. HTH

Snow-Blower from Hell v-2019/20 - YouTube

Who, has loved us more?

MakitaDolmar

I think Kohler still makes that engine now that they have Lombardini in their portfolio.  The amount you invest varies based on the rest of the machine but realistically you won't know until you've jumped in.  Test for compression before throwing parts at it.  If its not starting now you will want to be sure you have compression.  If you can confirm compression is in spec I would have the injectors pop tested locally - they can usually replace the tips if they are dribbling.  I just did tips and plunges on my Massey and it went from being a smoky mess to running like its a Cummins.  I'd verify compression (and of course make sure no water in oil, oil in water, turns freely 360 degrees) and from there attack fuel system.
Current Fleet:
Dolmar 111i
Makita DCS 540
Poulan 1800
Tanaka TCS33EDTP

charles mann

Im sure you checked, but it nvr hurts to ask in case it didnt get done. Is there fuel to the injector pump, and from the pump to each injector? 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Magicman

A couple of years ago I bought and 'revitalized' that same engine that had sat unused for over 20 years.  (The injector pump, injectors, and all of the plumbing is under the valve cover.)  A squirt of Diesel in the injectors was needed to free them up and it has been purring like a kitten since.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!