Forum > General Board

Best planer (planer/molder) for the money non commercial operation

(1/6) > >>

Sedgehammer:
Going to need a planer for my various projects going forward. Can be a stationary type, as I can make a cart to move. Prefer a self feeding one. $1,500 or so budget. 

Also how does a planer/molder work?

Thanks

Southside:
As to how they work - you put ugly, nasty, fresh off the mill, wood in one side and out the other pops perfection, dental crown moulding.  :D At least that is the theory.  In all seriousness there is a big difference between a planer and a moulder.  What is is you need to make?  

VB-Milling:
Williams and Hussey
Find a decent used one with knives for the price you're looking for. Capacity is a little limited but it depends on what you are looking to do.

Edit: rereading your post, it looks like you primary want a planer so my suggestion isn't too relevant.

Tom King:
I bought a Grizzly 12" planer/molder off Craigslist that's probably in that price range new.  

I used it as a molder once, but I mostly just need a few feet of something, so make that by hand with molding planes.  It did fine as a molder too, but is pretty slow, since you have to do multiple passes.

As a planer, it is surprisingly good, for a finish planer.  The feed rollers are rubber, and with sharp knives, the pieces come out with little left to do to them.

I use it as the final pass when I'm making replacement window sash, and use that surface as the outside, which will be painted, without touching it again.

customsawyer:
Check with WDH and see where he got that tree smoother from. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap