iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The time has come...to say HELLO!

Started by VB-Milling, April 28, 2021, 12:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VB-Milling

Quote from: DesertHobo on July 19, 2021, 03:29:23 PM
One reason I've found for dual removable fenders, instead of just the one on loading side, is in case you forget to put the log rests up while loading the mill. Quick way to possibly damage a fender (to go along with freshly wounded pride while getting the log back onto the mill). I'm sure there are other, better reasons besides forgetfulness. If you're making your own, I'm sure you could make a heavy duty fender that would pass that test.
Something I sure didn't think about and is a good thought.  My fenders are just lightweight boat trailer fenders so I could definitely damage it if I rolled a log off the backside.
I've got the design all figured out from the first side I did.  I guess it makes sense just to make them both removeable and stop fussing about it.
HM126

VB-Milling

Quote from: btulloh on July 19, 2021, 01:13:56 PMGettin' closer to d-day!  You'll be sawing before long!
Funny story about gettin' closer to d-day....
I got an email this past Friday about shipment notification from Woodland Mills and for the last three days, I've been thinking my mill was on its way!  Turns out, upon looking at the invoice numbers this morning, the shipment notification is for the hat I ordered  :D :D :D :D
HM126

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: JRWoodchuck on July 19, 2021, 03:37:48 PM
If you do end up milking at different sites it's really nice to be able to load logs from both sides of the mill.
If he's milking, he's probably doing it wrong. :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Gere Flewelling

VB-Milling- If you go out to the Index and scroll down to the "Sponsor News" and then to the Cook's Saw Mfg. site and then go to "Cook's product modifications" line and then scroll down to reply #8 you can see how I modified the log loading ramps to allow them to be left in place and not have to remove them every time after I rolled a log up them.  They were originally designed to be removed after every log so the carriage would not hit them.  They were too heavy for me to keep that up.  Now I can carefully stage the logs on the ramps and depending on the size, roll them up with a cant hook or use the 12 winch located on the other side of the mill to roll them up.  I do not set anything on the mill with a tractor as it is too violent on the mill to try to ease a log on with forks or chains.  Rolling up the ramps is quick and very controllable.  I know you are fabricating up your own system.  This might give you some ideas.  It works very efficiently on my mill. Just make sure you have squaring arms up to stop the log from rolling off the other side.  Nothing good comes of that.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

VB-Milling

Quote from: Gere Flewelling on July 19, 2021, 04:17:15 PM
VB-Milling- If you go out to the Index and scroll down to the "Sponsor News" and then to the Cook's Saw Mfg. site and then go to "Cook's product modifications" line and then scroll down to reply #8 you can see how I modified the log loading ramps to allow them to be left in place and not have to remove them every time after I rolled a log up them.  They were originally designed to be removed after every log so the carriage would not hit them.  They were too heavy for me to keep that up.  Now I can carefully stage the logs on the ramps and depending on the size, roll them up with a cant hook or use the 12 winch located on the other side of the mill to roll them up.  I do not set anything on the mill with a tractor as it is too violent on the mill to try to ease a log on with forks or chains.  Rolling up the ramps is quick and very controllable.  I know you are fabricating up your own system.  This might give you some ideas.  It works very efficiently on my mill. Just make sure you have squaring arms up to stop the log from rolling off the other side.  Nothing good comes of that.
That sure is slick @Gere Flewelling  I linked to it for convenience.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=108160.msg1736428#msg1736428
I'm thinking I'll do a hybrid of your system with wood and steel at some point.  I really appreciate you sharing the information.
I also took note of your secondary winch setup and how its removeable.  I've welded a 3x3" square tube roughly in the center of my trailer with the hopes of fabricating something like you have.  I would probably have to make it more robust because it would be my primary means of winching logs onto the mill.
HM126

Nebraska

@Old Greenhorn ...Well he isn't all that far from Southside, if he went for a visit hecould end up milking and milling in the same day...

VB-Milling

Quote from: Nebraska on July 19, 2021, 04:47:29 PM
@Old Greenhorn ...Well he isn't all that far from Southside, if he went for a visit hecould end up milking and milling in the same day...
Not that far at all from @Southside 
Been thinking about getting some artificial turf from him for under my mill but I'm still toying with the idea.
HM126

VB-Milling

Quote from: VB-Milling on July 19, 2021, 03:41:29 PMFunny story about gettin' closer to d-day....
I got an email this past Friday about shipment notification from Woodland Mills and for the last three days, I've been thinking my mill was on its way!  Turns out, upon looking at the invoice numbers this morning, the shipment notification is for the hat I ordered  :D :D :D :D
Ok, NOW I got the email the mill has been shipped.  No estimate on transport time from R&L as of yet.
Looks like the mill will be here a month before my blades arrive unfortunately.  I'm sure I'll be busy getting everything setup anyways.
HM126

VB-Milling

Monday July 26th!  Just confirmed with the freight company.  Gonna be an exciting week next week!  Feel like maybe I should start a new thread for that or maybe rename this one?
HM126

btulloh

smiley_blue_bounce smiley_blue_bounce
HM126

VB-Milling

Well now I'm really getting excited!  My blades are here!

HM126

Rybot

Gotta love it when things show up early. smiley_clapping thumbs-up

VB-Milling

Speaking of arriving early, part of my mill arrived today!  In a manner of speaking LOL

Thank you Woodland Mills @NeilB 

HM126

VB-Milling

HM126

RAYAR

Quote from: VB-Milling on July 19, 2021, 01:06:10 PM
To answer some possible follow-up questions, I don't have the space at this time for a log deck and I don't have any support equipment for loading.  The current best option appears to be loading ramps and post winch.
The first page of my thread has many pics of the winch set-up I built for my mill. May give you some ideas.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=106696.0
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

VB-Milling

Thank you Ray.  I also have that thread bookmarked.  Very useful and you give good specifics about sizing and details of the build. Will certainly be using as much inspiration.
HM126

btulloh

Well??  All things considered, we should be seeing some sawdust off your mill by this evening.  :)  How's it going?
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!