iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw D-1100 And M-14 Circle Sawmills

Started by jeep534, August 07, 2021, 09:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeep534

I will not go into details as to why I have my hands on a Belsaw D-1100 Wood Bunk (with manual) and A all steel M-14  

I will do my best to point out the obvious differences.   belsaw made various configurations over  the years

jeep534

first both carriges are 10 feet long

D-1100 has 3 headblocks and a spring assist receder and is 6 inches deeoer in the headblocks and 6 inches wider track wudth (44 inches ) 3 inch flat belt (not V belt) feedworks.
Blade is 52 inches and 42 teeth
it has a steel husk
Mandrel is 2 inches
Trach is Hump cast iron

M-14  Has 2 Headblocks  10 foot carrige
V belt feedworks
Mandrel is 1.750
track width is 38 inches
Guide Track is 1X1X 1/4"

moodnacreek

Apparently they did not sell. I have seen the literature for this heavy duty Bellsaw by Sears. I think 'Cutting Edge' the Kasco bandsaw dealer has this mill. If Bellsaw had updated the set works on this [1100] they would have has something. My guess is that there where already too many real sawmills to compete with.

Ventryjr

Are you setting these up to use/display? 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

jeep534

Quote from: Ventryjr on August 08, 2021, 09:18:03 AM
Are you setting these up to use/display?
i will be getting the m14 in running order it was a mess Someone thought they new what they knew what they were doing u
the D-1100 will be setup to saw

jeep534

Quote from: moodnacreek on August 08, 2021, 09:16:52 AM
Apparently they did not sell. I have seen the literature for this heavy duty Bellsaw by Sears. I think 'Cutting Edge' the Kasco bandsaw dealer has this mill. If Bellsaw had updated the set works on this [1100] they would have has something. My guess is that there where already too many real sawmills to compete with.
Both Mills came from Cutting Edge small world

mike_belben

I med an oooold tennessee junk peddler with several piles of belsaw this week.  He said in the 1950s a railroad project came through and gave farmers belsaws on credit, paid off in finished ties at $2 each.  It made a lot of pasture and left a lot of belsaws. 
Praise The Lord

jeep534

Quote from: mike_belben on August 09, 2021, 08:52:04 AM
I med an oooold tennessee junk peddler with several piles of belsaw this week.  He said in the 1950s a railroad project came through and gave farmers belsaws on credit, paid off in finished ties at $2 each.  It made a lot of pasture and left a lot of belsaws.
That does not suprise me as these are actually tailer made to cut ties on using smaller timber and the outside of the logs could be retained as lumber

mike_belben

Thats basically where all the barns and wood fences came from.  A flood of jacket boards. When the barn and sheds are done, might as well make a fence.

The original fences have long since rotted but they left behind the wooden pasture fence as an asthetic of the region that has become a sign of wealth to normal people.  Probably an effort at old school to those who can afford one today. All the wooden fences i see with cattle inside still have barbwire or hotwire.  Gold plated high tensile would probably be cheaper!

Maryland horse country still has a ton of that look.  We only have it in wealthy rural pockets.  
Praise The Lord

Don P

There ya go, a cheap old farm mill and you'll be looking like a king.

mike_belben

Yeah but the king is the first one whose head gets lobbed off. I like blending into the angry mob better  
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

A tie mill cutting sap boards off 9' logs of small dia. could be run on very light power by adding a heavy fly wheel. I have found hand hewn ties with date nails from the early fifties. As much as I dislike light weight toy sawmills now a days, I have to consider what it was like with a broad axe.

jeep534

one of the things i would like to do is make a off feed belt  when i get the D-1100 setup  probably using hydraulics  

I also have an edger  that i need to rebuild the base

Thank You Sponsors!