iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nematodes

Started by Tom, June 09, 2011, 08:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Nematodes are a pest that I never learned much about.  I've always felt that the reason I have such a hard time with my gardens has been because of nematodes.  Applying nematicides is such a chore.  Most that I've ever been aware of are applied as fumigants under a sheet of plastic, and/or injected into the ground.

Are Nematodes detrimental to forest crops?   I've never heard of pine plantations being affected, but wonder if they are resistant or we just don't pay attention.  Are nematodes a problem with hardwoods?   Are they an organism that is more prevalent in the south, or are they a problem in the north too?

I've looked the internet over and found very little to satisfy me and haven't any books that talk about them.   I guess the latest article I read on cotton and nematicides has peeked my interest again.  Do any of you know anything about them?

Bandmill Bandit

I don't know a lot about them in general but i do know that they are a perpetual problem with potatoes. The 2 most effective tools to do battle on them that i have found with potatoes is a resistant variety and sulphur.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

estiers

Pine wilt is caused by a nematode and is a big deal here in Kansas.  It impacts Scots and Austrian pine that were planted for shelterbelts, and die a pretty quick death once infected.  The nematode is spread by a beetle (Pine sawyer), making mitigation often a difficult thing.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Jasperfield

Here, we grew the last crop of NC Certified Seed Irish potatoes. The cultivar was "Boone"; and we used copper sulfate. ...And it works, quite well.

Left Coast Chris

Out here nemetodes are in sandy soils within flood plains of rivers.  They do attack the roots of Calif Black Walnut (hardwood).   They are root lesion nemetodes and root knot memetodes.   In the past farmers typically pull the trees fumigate with methal bromide but that has been pretty much discontinued.    The recommended product now is Basamid granular by BASF.   You simply dig up the area, put in the granules and let it sit in the fall then plant in two to three months.    It is fairly spendy though.   For 100 4' by 4' by 3' holes it will cost $1k or so.   

There is another method that some farmers claim works and that is drying the soil out.   If you have dry summers you may have a shot at it.  They plant sudan grass which puts deep roots down in the winter then let it grow in the spring and summer. 

You might also try the UC (University of California) Davis web site to see what info they have.   

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Tom

I read that Marigolds, planted thickly for a couple of seasons will get rid of nematodes.  That would make an interesting understory for a plantation. :D

Dodgy Loner

estiers is right about the nematodes that cause pine wilt - they can be a big problem in the areas where they occur. But that is a specialized type of nematode that does not live in the soil, but in the the wood itself where they feed primarily in the resin canals.

As far as nematodes causing problems in forestry, I actually think that it's not typically problematic due to the differences between row cropping and silviculture. Cotton fields are turned under year after year, and countless fungicides and insecticides are applied to the fields with each crop. This disrupts the natural flora of the soil that would keep the nematodes in check under normal circumstances. In a forest setting, infrequent soil disturbance (not to mention minimal soil disturbance even when it does occur) and minimal pesticide use results in a much more diverse soil flora. Microbes that thrive on chitin - which makes up the nematodes' exoskeleton - are abundant in such a system and help balance the population of detrimental nematodes. There are even beneficial nematodes that feed on the bad ones.

Tom, I suspect you are correct about nematodes causing you problems in your garden. They are most problematic in sandy soils.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

jim king

Nematodes are a major problem here in old soil .  I have had good luck with marigolds.  At least two by each plant you want to protect.

LeeB

Not sure if it is true, but I have heard cedar mulch also helps
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!