iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American Elm

Started by TimW, October 05, 2021, 05:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

Is American Elm any good to saw for inside house trim?  I have a 6 foot log I cut for grins, into 1 inch boards.  It moved alot.  Different boards different directions.  Should I strap it down to dry or burn it?
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Patrick NC

I sawed a couple of elm logs into 4x4s to stack lumber on. It bowed and twisted so much that I threw it on the burn pile. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

TimW

Quote from: Patrick NC on October 05, 2021, 05:30:25 PM
I sawed a couple of elm logs into 4x4s to stack lumber on. It bowed and twisted so much that I threw it on the burn pile.
Yep, that is what I am thinking.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Brad_bb

I've cut red elm(slippery elm) with good results.  I did cut one small elm that was light in color as opposed to the darker red elm.  Seemed good.

Only you can determine if it's too warped to mess with.  At the very least, could you cut them shorter so that they could be jointed and flattened?  Maybe cut it thicker next time, air dry it and then plane it thinner if needed?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Southside

Elm, Sycamore, Gum, Hickory, all twisted grain species.  You know what flat sawn lumber will do, quarter sawn it will behave a lot better for future reference and in the case of Sycamore produces amazing results.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TimW

Quote from: Southside on October 05, 2021, 10:42:01 PM
Elm, Sycamore, Gum, Hickory, all twisted grain species.  You know what flat sawn lumber will do, quarter sawn it will behave a lot better for future reference and in the case of Sycamore produces amazing results.  
It was too small a log to quarter saw........and it had a bow in it.
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: Brad_bb on October 05, 2021, 10:30:41 PM
I've cut red elm(slippery elm) with good results.  I did cut one small elm that was light in color as opposed to the darker red elm.  Seemed good.

Only you can determine if it's too warped to mess with.  At the very least, could you cut them shorter so that they could be jointed and flattened?  Maybe cut it thicker next time, air dry it and then plane it thinner if needed?
I cut them thick.  Warped, twisted window trim could be a hoot. Will have to wait to find out if the smell dissipates.  It really is strong, but doesn't seem to bother me.
           hugs,  Brandi

Patrick NC

Quote from: Bindian on October 05, 2021, 11:03:56 PM
Quote from: Southside on October 05, 2021, 10:42:01 PM
Elm, Sycamore, Gum, Hickory, all twisted grain species.  You know what flat sawn lumber will do, quarter sawn it will behave a lot better for future reference and in the case of Sycamore produces amazing results.  
It was too small a log to quarter saw........and it had a bow in it.
hugs,  Brandi
The ones I cut were about 14" and some twisted so much that when I put one end flat on the ground the other was about a quarter turn off. If I ever get a big one I'll try quarter sawn.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

doc henderson

it is an amazing looking finished wood.  I have had better luck cutting dry logs.  it is great for rustic slabs.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

moodnacreek

Elm is the most beautiful American hardwood when it is planed and sanded to a polish. Drying it will separate the men from the boys. Sticks; wide and extended on the ends and 12" o.c. between. Tons of weight. Then it needs a kiln or a winter in heated building. It is much worse than hickory and powder post beetles love both.

WDH

Beautiful but very difficult to deal with...... 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

boonesyard

As everyone has said here, elm is very challenging to deal with. We've had the best luck with larger trees that are free of bark and have been standing dead for a number of years. It'll still move a bit when drying, but a lot of weight helps that. It works well for shorter projects to cut and and plane the twist out of it, but the squeeze is worth the juice on this stuff, it is a beautiful wood.

Some live edge shelving, knots and cracks epoxied, natural poly finish, beautiful brown color.

Elm stair treads, very durable

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Larry

A friend made this table.  He told me elm is one of the most popular (and expensive) tables.  Hard to find big ones.

I turned elm bowls a couple of months ago and they have their own unique beauty.

Of course you could always use it for wagon hubs.  Years ago I turned some hubs for a cultipacker to pull behind a grain drill.  Went hundreds of acres, probably still going.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

TimW

Here is what I got.............

Reminds me of cedar.  But it didn't have that shaggy bark like Cedar Elm.  Cuts easy also.  But it was just cut down last week.
hugs,  Brandi

D6c

I have a stack of Chinese elm (Siberian elm?) that I sawed several years ago.  Have one pair of book matched slabs.
I need to get it finish dried and see if it behaves.

taylorsmissbeehaven

Brandi,
    Your thread gave me the kick in the seat I needed to saw this Elm I got from my Dads house. Its been on the mill for over a week waiting for me to run out of excuses!! I sawed it after work yesterday and will see what happens as it dries. Thanks for the inspiration, Brian

Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

TimW

Quote from: taylorsmissbeehaven on October 07, 2021, 07:20:21 AM
Brandi,
   Your thread gave me the kick in the seat I needed to saw this Elm I got from my Dads house. Its been on the mill for over a week waiting for me to run out of excuses!! I sawed it after work yesterday and will see what happens as it dries. Thanks for the inspiration, Brian

Brian,
      Glad to have helped.  That is the same bark I cut into.  After seeing your's cut, I wish I would have save some pieces with branches.
 hugs,  Brandi

LeeB

Brandi,
I don't know if you have Cedar Elm around your area but it seamed to me to behave a little better than American Elm. I milled a good bit of it when I still lived around Austin.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Stephen1

I really like elm for the colour and grain. I have 2 30" x8' logs waiting for me to mill. hopefully before winter comes. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

TimW

Quote from: LeeB on October 07, 2021, 12:37:46 PM
Brandi,
I don't know if you have Cedar Elm around your area but it seamed to me to behave a little better than American Elm. I milled a good bit of it when I still lived around Austin.
Yep, we got Cedar Elm here. 
hugs,  Brandi

Walnut Beast

Has anyone used it for framing lumber 

WDH

That would be brave and would require an optimist.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PoginyHill

My father has told me that elm was often used for barn floors as it never became slippery - the grain stayed rough as it pulled out with wear. Safer for the animals and people.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Nebraska

I'm going to try some, for framing once it dries. (Red Elm)  It splalts some fun colors.  When neglected  long enough.

If today goes well I'm going to plane this down and splash a little Tung  oil on it to see what it looks like.

Thank You Sponsors!