iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging with a CTL

Started by Walnut Beast, March 01, 2022, 10:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Many say it can't be done. I beg to differ. Dead pulled some big Black Gold already. Now winching some big stuff in some steep nasty areas way on the other side of creek unable to access bringing the whole tree and dragging it like a rag doll. 26"diameter and 31' long  

Walnut Beast

The arch wasn't high enough from getting the front of the tree from driving in the bank three feet and snapping the chain like candy. Nasty steep banks! So had to go higher in a tree with snatch block and the higher angle made all the difference 

mike_belben

thats why i put my winch on the front of the skid steer, to get the high pull.  its a huge advantage.  if youve got the alternator and cables for it and are only pulling a log now and then at the pace of a one man show, electric winches are tolerable when given the dwell time to cool.  back to back winching not so great but they are pretty much consumable and abundant to offset the short comings.

just remember not to flat drag with the winch cable.  that load holding brake is only good for half the line pull.  if something snags your machine wont even feel resistance, itll just wreck the brake, which is located inside the cable spool tube. its a one way clutch. 

i put 24volts to my 8k winch motor with 12v to the controller.  the line speed doubled, made it about as fast as a PTO unit.  then i got a 15.5k in a trade.  
Praise The Lord

beenthere

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 02, 2022, 04:22:19 AM
The arch wasn't high enough from getting the front of the tree from driving in the bank three feet and snapping the chain like candy. Nasty steep banks! So had to go higher in a tree with snatch block and the higher angle made all the difference  

Chain around that tree (if a "to be saved" tree) not so good, but a strap would be better for the tree. You can slip the bark or damage the cambium layer easy with chain. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Quote from: beenthere on March 02, 2022, 10:43:24 AM
Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 02, 2022, 04:22:19 AM

Chain around that tree (if a "to be saved" tree) not so good, but a strap would be better for the tree. You can slip the bark or damage the cambium layer easy with chain.
Totally agree! Kinda feel bad about doing that ! I looked for my shorter tow strap and couldn't find it so I'll just have to get a tree saver one. 

thecfarm

Looks like it's a working!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walnut Beast

If I was doing full blown logging I would have a skidder . But universally what you can do,  the different attachments plus high flow is hands down a game changer.  I  knew what a CTL could do in the woods before regardless what anybody said. When you have owned them you know. But I find the CTL and log trailer combination to be absolutely fantastic in the woods. It's easy to get into tight places and maneuver around. The trailer is light enough you can move it around empty by hand and haul some big stuff on. Also with the combination of grapples on the front and a hydraulic or electric winch mounted on the front or rear you can move some serious wood out of some tight places on a dime. You couldn't do that with anything else. If your winching some really big stuff and your 15k machine isn't heavy enough for a anchor? Snatch blocks or strapping your machine front or rear to a tree for additional anchor are your friend. More black gold headed to the log yard

Ed_K

When I had a area with quite a few cordwood trees, I'd drive close by the closest c/w tree and climb up on the roof a hang a pulley to the tree as high as I could reach. Then I'd start with the farthest trees and bring them up till I had a load for the wagon. Buck them up 22' load and cut some more trees. I take the wagon out an unload and come back and load the second out they go then come back and start cutting again.
Ed K

beenthere

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 01, 2022, 10:48:41 PM
Many say it can't be done. I beg to differ. Dead pulled some big Black Gold already. Now winching some big stuff in some steep nasty areas way on the other side of creek unable to access bringing the whole tree and dragging it like a rag doll. 26"diameter and 31' long  

FYI
CTL used here is Compact Track Loader. Right?

Not the abbreviation for Cut To Length used in forestry/logging
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mike_belben

You better have black gold to pay for that rig.  Black gum just aint gonna cut the mustard. 
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Keep bringing the black gold out

Walnut Beast

Thanks for the tip Ed K. I'll remember that to help get up higher up in a tree 👍

cutterboy

Looking good WB. Looks like you're having fun.
btw, do you ever work in the daylight? :D
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

barbender

A man after my own heart😂
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

Quote from: cutterboy on March 04, 2022, 07:26:17 AM
Looking good WB. Looks like you're having fun.
btw, do you ever work in the daylight? :D
Thanks! Fun at all hours more Black Gold in nasty places on the creek. The log arch works like a dream

thecfarm

I do a lot of twitching wood out in the dark in the late fall early winter.
I cut down the trees during daylight hours and haul them out when it gets dark. 
My lighting is not as good as yours. Just a head lamp and one head light on the tractor.  :)
I had my boss call me one night and the wife told him I was working out in the woods. He asked her, Don't he know it's dark out?  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walnut Beast

Since your using a headlamp you are good to go 👍. If I didn't use a headlamp I couldn't get anything done when it's dark

barbender

the thecfarm, get yourelself some of the cheap 12v LEDs off Amazon, put a few on the tractor and it will light up the night👍

thecfarm

Good idea on the lights. 
I have been thinking about it.

Walnut Beast

You can get something like this that way it's ultra universal. These basically swivel all the way around. I'm going to be mounting these on and I will get a picture of them in a few days

Ventryjr

I run a 75hp kubota ctl and have used it to drag/carry truck loads of hemlock pine out. Far drags I'd just chain them to the rear. I could haul 2-20"x16' at a time.  If the area is large enough I typically carry 16' and shorter logs on the forks. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

Hope these little cedar trees are worth it. The dual threat. Winching in the rear and chaining to log and receiver on the demo dozer bucket for quick short pulls. Works like a charm.

Using the new cable slider with the hook and it works fantastic. Plus using the chain  also. And doing what the big boys do and grabbing multiple logs and winching out. Worked great. 

Southside

That's an awful expensive water jug to leave exposed like that.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Things are getting a little crazy going after this Black Gold 😂. Nothing easy!! I cut the top and dug around roots and cut. Looks like it had some life. Had some action winching. Will resume tomorrow might be a bearcat coming across that steep creek<br

Walnut Beast

We are shut down! Good old emissions!! That's why guys have somebody delete and take all that emissions crap off! Had a DEF related code and now I'm locked out of any throttle 

beenthere

WB
Which unit shut down for the DEF code?  
south central Wisconsin

Walnut Beast

It's Cummins related with the tank/ header or the sort so I'll have to check with the dealer/service tomorrow. 

Walnut Beast

It will drive in high and low range and everything works but just at idle. Was in the middle of winching and got back in and no throttle. Need a little more than idle on heavy winching so pulled the horns in

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

The reason I've hunted down decent low hour pre DEF equipment and plan to keep it all running as long as possible.

OntarioAl

A farm base site I frequent (Red Colored) tractors.
They are purchasing older non computer controlled and rebuilding them.
That's driving the price of these units up 
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

mike_belben

look at the glider truck market.  brand new chassis with 100% remanned old legendary motors.  worth double of what a newfangled plastic electric turd truck goes for.  fitzgerald was one of the biggest makers until the govt went after them.  

the overlords have decided this is what we are gonna have and thats that.  if a loophole is big enough to be noticed they will close it.  and not to save the planet either. thats just a cover story. 
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

One the biggest issues I see with DEF on equipment both farm and construction is the machines aren't used hard enough all the time. For instance Walnuts CTL probably spends a lot of time at idle while he hooks/unhooks, winches, saws, etc. Or my skid steer or tractor in the winter warming up, lumbering along to feed cows, etc. The emissions systems hate that. You would get better service life from them if you could run them at 90-100% load all the time so they were burning hot and clean.

Walnut Beast

Your exactly right. Called service. Jacob said Cummins know they have had all to common problem with the DEF header part and being real hard to get the available part so they have another fix that's another electrical plug that snaps in the place of the other one that tricks the faulty code to be fine on the DEF level. Chevy probably knows about the header part. So I took a picture of serial number on valve cover and Jacob is setting it up with Cummins out his way and everything will be covered for them to drive out to my place 145 miles one way and take care of it.

YellowHammer

I realize this is under warranty, but over the years, I have joined the "club" and bought a true 2 way OBD2 Way scanner and communication pad.  It's like the ones mechanics use, it's not cheap, and it paid for itself the first time I used it. It excels at DEF errors, sensor, forced regens, all that stuff.  It will even reprogram the new style car keys.   

I can plug into any engine and vehicles made in the world, as it has 50 or more adapters, and can scan and fix errors using universal software, or for proprietary software that mimics the manufacturer.  It's incredible, and recently I used it to diagnose a faulty NOx sensor in my Chevy.  It would have been an $800 diagnose and repair at the dealer (I called) including a $250 forced regen, as well as the engine having to baseline and "learn" the newly installed sensor.  So I did it for the price of the sensor, and in no time, I was up and running.  

Most likely, with a 2 way scanner, you could simply go into diagnostic mode and set the sensor data line to whatever value you wanted, or worst case, disable it or even null it out.  Anyway, it's nice that the dealer is doing his thing, but when it goes out of warranty, there are tools available now that can do anything the onboard computer and sensors need them to do.  Amazingly useful devices.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Walnut Beast

Thanks for sharing that. I will keep that in mind and check into that!

chevytaHOE5674

To "plug in" and start doing most emissions related stuff to most heavy equipment (skid steers, ctl, tractors, loaders, etc) your looking at something like a Texa or Cojali unit that start in the $5000 range and head upwards from there. So unless you got money to burn you won't be buying one to fix one piece of equipment.

Heck I work on heavy equipment for half my living and don't own one. When needed I call another road mechanic over and pay his hourly rate as its cheaper than owning the computer.

As for changing the the sensor value or "nulling it out" that isn't going to happen. One would need to be able to rewrite to the ECM and that isn't done with most if not all scanners. Theres a reason guys pay big money for ECM tunes to delete the emissions systems. Also now a days the EPA has put a big crack down on and sort of computer diesel emissions alterations.

As for DEF header from my understanding they are a problem across the board for Cummins from heavy equipment to medium and heavy duty trucks. The part isn't actually made by Cummins and they are having trouble with supply all over. My dealer has told me that there are plenty out there but are being hoarded by dealers as they would rather sell the part AND the labor to fix it rather than just sell guys the parts.

YellowHammer

I don't know, I've never tried it on skid steer, or any heavy equipment, I just got a skid steer and it's running fine, so is my tractor, and I don't have a dozer.  Nor am I a mechanic, but it seems I'm always working on one vehicle or another.  

However, I use it routinely and easily on any diesel truck, or gas vehicle for that matter that comes my way.  As far as price, for years everyone said the "computer" was too expensive (its got almost nothing to do with the computer as they are based on established platforms, its got to do with the software license costs).  Even my Cummins diesel certified professional mechanic nephew said the same thing, but when I showed him what the magic computer would do, he said it had almost, but not quite, but almost, the same capability as the one he has in his dealer shop.  One the side, he flips vehicles for fun and profit, and has me scan them for latent issues that aren't to the problem level where they throw a code. If the engine or vehicle can see the data, then I can see the data.  In some cases I can manipulate the data, depending on what it is.  For example, it will scan diesel fuel injectors and check their balance, (I can adjust that if I want) and indicate how far they are off spec, and color code them based on how close they were to being out of spec.  It's a good way to see how much wear and abuse they have seen.  On my Chevy truck that had an open number 4 glow plug throwing errors, I was able to punch a couple menu items and disable it so I stopped getting error codes until the new one came in and we had time to replace it.  What's even cooler is that I could then run a full dealer diagnostic glow plug check out test, see their continuity and even their individual amp draw, one by one, from the computer, without ever having to turn the truck on.  Very cool.

The unit cost me about a grand, plus subscription, and has true two way command level communications with the vehicle, not basic and simple one way.  So for example, it will flip door locks, test and turn on head lights, break lights, honk the horn and even set engine speed, do whatever I want.  I even did a sound check on a Bose speaker system, all from the little handheld device, and it will do a factory test of an ABS breaking system.  Everything is controlled by the vehicle ECU and everything can be accessed by a computer that can read and communicate with the ECU.  Use a computer to talk to a computer.        

The reality is that almost any unwarranted repair, especially an emissions one, will cost near a grand, so expensive is relative.  I've used it to diagnose and repair Chevy diesel trucks, Ford diesel trucks, gas burner cars, and even a Hyundai gas burner that was throwing an occasional fuel injector problem that my daughter's dealer couldn't find, after two tries.  I hooked it up, she drove around with it for a few days, the injector acted up, the computer caught it, identified the exact fuel injector, saved a file of the data, and helped the dealer trap it on his equipment.  Turns out it was a new to them issue (too much power was being sent to the injector, breaking it down, slowly), and they forwarded it up the chain. It's diagnosed and identified weak and open glow plugs, NOx sensors, O2 sensors, DEF heater tank element failures, DEF level sender problems, DPF and catalytic converter soot loads, been able to do forced regens, on the road regens, and will show me real time exhaust efficiencies and exhaust gas temperatures while I'm driving down the road.  It helps me reset the tire pressure sensors in my Chevy 2500, which my local tire shop couldn't do because they said the computer was "too expensive" and it even helped me diagnose a supposed door lock issue for my brother in about 30 seconds when it showed that one of his hand held remotes had a weak battery.  I have no idea how it did that, but we replaced the battery and problem solved.  It has its own wireless network and can connect through the internet, will scan the error code, identify the sensor fault, and even upload and display the proper section of the repair manual on an Android looking device.  I have a subscription and can upload the newest diagnostic software updates on hundreds of vehicles anytime I need, including Lamborghini, if I ever bought one.  I even scanned my Nephew's fairly new F250 for fun and found a couple of things that weren't throwing codes but could become problems later on.  He was not a happy camper, and took the vehicle back to the dealer, with a snap shot of the data.  

I'm certainly not a mechanic, that's why I bought this unit.  However, I despise being charged for things the computer does, and not the mechanic.  For example, a forced regeneration can take up to 45 minutes and the mechanic has to sit there and watch the vehicle, basically doing nothing, while I get to pay them $250 bucks for baby sitting.  They make it sound like it's a big deal "Oh, then we have to do a forced regeneration" and that's expensive.  Horse pucky.  Hit a half dozen buttons, open the hood, and let it do its thing, while I watch the soot load go down and the exhaust quality go up.  It has saved me, my relatives and friends many thousands of dollars in diagnosing and repair costs, as most times the repair part is not that big expense.  

As I said, it's paid for itself many times over, and I'm not sure it wouldn't fit into my Woodmizer Diesel engine port.  I'll give it a try.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Nebraska

Wouldn't have been shocked if YH and couple of his buddies built their own diagnostic computer system.. :)

chevytaHOE5674

Sounds like you have a good scanner. As you said the cost is in the license for the software. So go buy the license, software, module, etc for various non highway vehicles and watch the prices sky rocket. Most if not all off highway equipment uses their own software, own plug ins (not usually an OBDII), etc so you need specific modules to plug into different brands. For instance in some cases JD agricultural equipment uses a different module and plug in than JD construction equipment.

And no matter what two way scanner you have none of them will let you delete or manipulate emissions related sensors. As doing that amounts to "deleting" a diesel. Expecially after the recent EPA crack downs no scanner company would be caught dead selling that kind of tech.

Walnut Beast

Had things all set up with the tech at Cummins service to come out tomorrow then the guy asks how far is Omaha from you😡. You need to go through them. I was hot!!!!. Called the dealer to get back to getting something going. So now we are playing games of the closest Cummins service center. He did say look in the DEF tank if it's a black tube. If it is then the whole tank needs replaced. It's not a Cummins one. A aftermarket one they used when they ran out of their own. And obviously have had lots of problems.

YellowHammer

That's a shame.  Like pushing rope. How hard is it to change it out if you had the parts?  Can they overnight it to you or something?  Nothing is ever easy.  

YellowHammerisms:

Walnut Beast

Yes it is a shame! The Cummins service center that is closer to me is two weeks out. My mechanic Jacob is going to see if they can get that plug in device. He said between the Kubota and ASV there would be way less problems if it wasn't for that DEF related issue's. So as it stands now wait or haul the machine 150 miles out to the Cummins service center there. We will see about some answers tomorrow and how much extra for them to drive out

Walnut Beast

As it stands. Nobody has a Cummins DEF tank. ASV used Shaw DEF tanks when Cummins didn't have their own available. And that's where the problem is. Mine has the Shaw tank with the blue top and needs to be replaced with the Cummins tank. No parts interchange. So the one service center was two weeks that's probably more because I doubt they have the tank. What guys are doing that can't afford to be down mulching is putting a plug in module like this on that tricks the system till they can get it fixed 

barbender

I'd put one of those on and never look back!

Walnut Beast

What a circus! Cummins won't pay a Cummins service center further away to get it done. A one and done service call but  will pay for the one to come multiple times . The guy came out today and hooked the computer up and filled paperwork out then said I will call you when I find out about parts. I said WHAT! You mean you don't have a tank or anything! No. The other Cummins would have had it done. They did three last week. This guy didn't know anything. And this is the Cummins service center out of the big city

barbender

About sounds like Cummins needs a letter from your attorney.

Walnut Beast

New DEF tank and header in. It took about one hour for them to change out. Everything went pretty smooth but the new Cummins tank is a little narrower so the straps were loose and even know my DEF tank was full they only pay for and put in 2.5 gallons. They put a piece of rubber between tank and straps. So I'm checking with the other Cummins service center to find out what they do

MC8541SS

Quote from: mike_belben on April 05, 2022, 10:13:42 AM
look at the glider truck market.  brand new chassis with 100% remanned old legendary motors.  worth double of what a newfangled plastic electric turd truck goes for.  fitzgerald was one of the biggest makers until the govt went after them.  

the overlords have decided this is what we are gonna have and thats that.  if a loophole is big enough to be noticed they will close it.  and not to save the planet either. thats just a cover story.
I have 2 of the Fitzgerald gliders and 2 pre emission trucks and 1 2016 Kenworth with DEF,  can you guess which truck is the most costly to operate?  Lol.  Not hard to do.  I wish I had bought more Gliders.
Mc8541SS

Walnut Beast

Quote from: MC8541SS on April 19, 2022, 08:15:00 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on April 05, 2022, 10:13:42 AM

I have 2 of the Fitzgerald gliders and 2 pre emission trucks and 1 2016 Kenworth with DEF,  can you guess which truck is the most costly to operate?  Lol.  Not hard to do.  I wish I had bought more Gliders.
Did you ever go into derate mode where max 5 mph is 😂

Walnut Beast

Back in the logging game and it was complete insanity!! Resumed winching the Black Gold and it was winching up a 10-12 ft bank, having the rubber boots on in over one foot+ water to going 8 to 14 feet up in the tree with the snatch block 💪💪. We do anything and everything to get the gold 😂💪

Walnut Beast

Went and got a Walnut stick, Cottonwood and Osage. Winched the Osage to get down and also the placement worked perfect and left everything in the (Hedge row) Osage. And pushed the cottonwood branches in the finger

Walnut Beast

Back to the black gold

Walnut Beast

Insanity and desperation for black gold 😂. Cut these two and was a little disappointed by the one so just kept the one on the left 25+ years down and hard as a rock . The ants 🐜 will be happy it's going to stay

Walnut Beast

Here is the inside of the gold! Looking forward to the treasures from 25+ old gold  

Walnut Beast

Treasures of the woods. Dead trees 😂. They look pretty good when they get opened up. Back to digging like a mad man to get the treasures from this sideway growing guy that had a bunch of dead branches. He was anchored in extremely good and made me work for it. 

Thank You Sponsors!