iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging with a CTL

Started by Walnut Beast, March 01, 2022, 10:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Many say it can't be done. I beg to differ. Dead pulled some big Black Gold already. Now winching some big stuff in some steep nasty areas way on the other side of creek unable to access bringing the whole tree and dragging it like a rag doll. 26"diameter and 31' long  

Walnut Beast

The arch wasn't high enough from getting the front of the tree from driving in the bank three feet and snapping the chain like candy. Nasty steep banks! So had to go higher in a tree with snatch block and the higher angle made all the difference 

mike_belben

thats why i put my winch on the front of the skid steer, to get the high pull.  its a huge advantage.  if youve got the alternator and cables for it and are only pulling a log now and then at the pace of a one man show, electric winches are tolerable when given the dwell time to cool.  back to back winching not so great but they are pretty much consumable and abundant to offset the short comings.

just remember not to flat drag with the winch cable.  that load holding brake is only good for half the line pull.  if something snags your machine wont even feel resistance, itll just wreck the brake, which is located inside the cable spool tube. its a one way clutch. 

i put 24volts to my 8k winch motor with 12v to the controller.  the line speed doubled, made it about as fast as a PTO unit.  then i got a 15.5k in a trade.  
Praise The Lord

beenthere

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 02, 2022, 04:22:19 AM
The arch wasn't high enough from getting the front of the tree from driving in the bank three feet and snapping the chain like candy. Nasty steep banks! So had to go higher in a tree with snatch block and the higher angle made all the difference  

Chain around that tree (if a "to be saved" tree) not so good, but a strap would be better for the tree. You can slip the bark or damage the cambium layer easy with chain. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Quote from: beenthere on March 02, 2022, 10:43:24 AM
Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 02, 2022, 04:22:19 AM

Chain around that tree (if a "to be saved" tree) not so good, but a strap would be better for the tree. You can slip the bark or damage the cambium layer easy with chain.
Totally agree! Kinda feel bad about doing that ! I looked for my shorter tow strap and couldn't find it so I'll just have to get a tree saver one. 

thecfarm

Looks like it's a working!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walnut Beast

If I was doing full blown logging I would have a skidder . But universally what you can do,  the different attachments plus high flow is hands down a game changer.  I  knew what a CTL could do in the woods before regardless what anybody said. When you have owned them you know. But I find the CTL and log trailer combination to be absolutely fantastic in the woods. It's easy to get into tight places and maneuver around. The trailer is light enough you can move it around empty by hand and haul some big stuff on. Also with the combination of grapples on the front and a hydraulic or electric winch mounted on the front or rear you can move some serious wood out of some tight places on a dime. You couldn't do that with anything else. If your winching some really big stuff and your 15k machine isn't heavy enough for a anchor? Snatch blocks or strapping your machine front or rear to a tree for additional anchor are your friend. More black gold headed to the log yard

Ed_K

When I had a area with quite a few cordwood trees, I'd drive close by the closest c/w tree and climb up on the roof a hang a pulley to the tree as high as I could reach. Then I'd start with the farthest trees and bring them up till I had a load for the wagon. Buck them up 22' load and cut some more trees. I take the wagon out an unload and come back and load the second out they go then come back and start cutting again.
Ed K

beenthere

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 01, 2022, 10:48:41 PM
Many say it can't be done. I beg to differ. Dead pulled some big Black Gold already. Now winching some big stuff in some steep nasty areas way on the other side of creek unable to access bringing the whole tree and dragging it like a rag doll. 26"diameter and 31' long  

FYI
CTL used here is Compact Track Loader. Right?

Not the abbreviation for Cut To Length used in forestry/logging
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mike_belben

You better have black gold to pay for that rig.  Black gum just aint gonna cut the mustard. 
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Keep bringing the black gold out

Walnut Beast

Thanks for the tip Ed K. I'll remember that to help get up higher up in a tree 👍

cutterboy

Looking good WB. Looks like you're having fun.
btw, do you ever work in the daylight? :D
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

barbender

A man after my own heart😂
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

Quote from: cutterboy on March 04, 2022, 07:26:17 AM
Looking good WB. Looks like you're having fun.
btw, do you ever work in the daylight? :D
Thanks! Fun at all hours more Black Gold in nasty places on the creek. The log arch works like a dream

thecfarm

I do a lot of twitching wood out in the dark in the late fall early winter.
I cut down the trees during daylight hours and haul them out when it gets dark. 
My lighting is not as good as yours. Just a head lamp and one head light on the tractor.  :)
I had my boss call me one night and the wife told him I was working out in the woods. He asked her, Don't he know it's dark out?  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walnut Beast

Since your using a headlamp you are good to go 👍. If I didn't use a headlamp I couldn't get anything done when it's dark

barbender

the thecfarm, get yourelself some of the cheap 12v LEDs off Amazon, put a few on the tractor and it will light up the night👍
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Good idea on the lights. 
I have been thinking about it.

Walnut Beast

You can get something like this that way it's ultra universal. These basically swivel all the way around. I'm going to be mounting these on and I will get a picture of them in a few days

Ventryjr

I run a 75hp kubota ctl and have used it to drag/carry truck loads of hemlock pine out. Far drags I'd just chain them to the rear. I could haul 2-20"x16' at a time.  If the area is large enough I typically carry 16' and shorter logs on the forks. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

Hope these little cedar trees are worth it. The dual threat. Winching in the rear and chaining to log and receiver on the demo dozer bucket for quick short pulls. Works like a charm.

Using the new cable slider with the hook and it works fantastic. Plus using the chain  also. And doing what the big boys do and grabbing multiple logs and winching out. Worked great. 

Southside

That's an awful expensive water jug to leave exposed like that.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Things are getting a little crazy going after this Black Gold 😂. Nothing easy!! I cut the top and dug around roots and cut. Looks like it had some life. Had some action winching. Will resume tomorrow might be a bearcat coming across that steep creek<br

Thank You Sponsors!