iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Slickening" your planer tables

Started by azmtnman, March 10, 2022, 09:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmtnman

What do you guys use to slicken your planer tables (cast iron)? 
    I had to get rid of some rust after it sit under a PVC tarp on a trailer all winter. I was worried but it cleaned up fairly well. It feels like glass.
   I have heard talcum powder or old-school car polish. I'm wondering about silicone lube? I don't know if it would hold up to the abrasion of wood sliding across it. 
   What's your preference?
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

TroyC

I've had good luck with furniture paste wax or car polish. Car polish mostly lately, think I ran out of furniture polish. Rub it on with some real fine steel wool, let dry, wipe off.

beenthere

Keep the silicone far, far away or it will haunt you when putting a finish on the wood. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

Johnson Paste Wax. 

I also use talcum powder sometimes, usually on the shaper.  When I have a setup on the shaper and the boards get sticky I know its time to put on more Johnson's.  Trouble is to wax the table I have to get the feeder out of the way.  Instead of doing that I just sprinkle a little talcum powder and all is good but it only lasts a short time.  Same thing on the planer.

I also have a product called Slipit.  Its made especially for the purpose, but I don't like it....others do.

And yes, just saw bt put a negative on silicone.  I agreed, don't even allow it in your shop!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

chet

Always used carnauba wax on tool surfaces. Figured it had to be good for woodworking tools as it is tree based; derived from the leaves of the Carnauba Palm.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SwampDonkey

Bostik's Glidecote all the way. 8)  Made in USA.

Also, Boeshield T9 for machine chucks and hand plane adjusters, so any machine/tool part you adjust manually. Made in USA.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

I remember the morning management came stomping up the lanes in the furniture plant hunting for the culprit. I think at that point there were 75 lines going full out and the problem was somewhere in our shop. A few semi loads had gone out for some college, they had farmed out final finish to another shop. They were going to spray poly on it, then final ship. Fisheye had shown there, we had stuff at every stage and in transit, and they were hunting down the silicone. Someone had discovered that a quick spray on the router bases made them glide a whole lot easier for roundovers and the can had passed around several work stations, whoops!

I'm in the yella can crowd.

firefighter ontheside

Johnson paste wax here.  Put it on my planers, jointer, shaper, table saw.  Put it on the fences too.  Just a couple of weeks ago I was having terrible trouble with my old 15" planer.  It wouldn't feed well.  Some wax fixed it right up.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

HDPE or UHMW :)

More work and cost but I bet you will never look back :) Unfortunately you lose some depth and your gauges are all screws up.... hmm maybe not a good idea? maybe it is.

rastis

DMcCoy

Johnson's paste wax here.
Also...
Dejunking the feed rollers inside the planer but also if you use a feed table or rollers they contribute to the overall drag.
Minwax polycrylic on plywood with johnsons paste wax on top is frozen pond with dust slick.

doc henderson

for heavy issues of rust or glue/epoxy start with fine grit on an RO sander.  wipe with acetone, then coat.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

Johnson paste wax on mine also. Been using it 50 years and the older cans are the best before they removed the harsh chemicals. I cut a 5.5 inch fine grey scotchbrite disc that sticks to the Velcro pad on my RO sander to polish them up first and then 2 coats of wax every year.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Dan_Shade

I use Johnsons paste wax too.

Can you still get talcum powder, I recall reading about a health related lawsuit that a major producer lost. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Downstream

Also use Johnson paste wax on both wood and metal surfaces.  Smooth as silk when done.  I also use scoth pads to clean surface rust. With ros.  Never leave a fresh milled piece of wood laying on the saw or planer table overnight or a few days.  I did it on my brand new laguna 1412 bandsaw years ago before I had applied wax.  After a little cursing and alot of work you can barely see my oops.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

doc henderson

my delta table saw is in the center of the shop, and it gets the occasional sweaty aluminum can sat on it!   smiley_beertoast
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Why I use Glidecote. :)

-Protects all tools and equipment from rust.
-Up to 30% slicker than paste wax.
-Easier and quicker to apply than paste wax.
-Lasts three times (3x) longer than paste wax.
-Contains no silicone or petroleum oil. Will not stain
wood or interfere with glues or finishes.
-Perfect for table saw beds, drill presses, lathes, planers, band saws, miters, panel saws, and all hand tools.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

azmtnman

THANKS FOR THE WARNING ABOUT SILICONE!!! I would have not known about it until it was too late and then maybe had trouble figuring out what was going on.
 FF is like a Jedi having a couple hundred Yodas! :D :D :D :D 

1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

frazman

I use a product from Royce called Spray 'N' Slide. This works very well on cast iron as I used it on my drill press and table saw. It's also made in Canada  thumbs-up

Brad_bb

Johnson's paste wax.  Boy with all of us using it, wish I had stock!  Note that Johnson's does not work in freezing weather.  It can have the opposite effect if you try to spread it in freezing conditions.  I heated shop is really best for steel/iron tools.  Heating keeps the shop from passing through the dew point and causing condensation on tools which then causes rust.  Humid summers don't do them any favors either.  Also, don't ever leave wood on an iron table saw top or planer bed etc, as the moisture and tannens from the wood can interact with the iron and cause rust.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

teakwood

Quote from: 21incher on March 11, 2022, 06:11:18 PM
Johnson paste wax on mine also. Been using it 50 years and the older cans are the best before they removed the harsh chemicals. I cut a 5.5 inch fine grey scotchbrite disc that sticks to the Velcro pad on my RO sander to polish them up first and then 2 coats of wax every year.
Twice a year??? Wow
I need to apply wax every half hour of planing or after 30 boards of teak :o
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

doc henderson

the trouble is my dad had and used the same can for 30 years.  I think I inherited it.  a dab ul do ya.  @Brad_bb 

Don P

Quote from: teakwood on March 22, 2022, 09:44:09 PM
Quote from: 21incher on March 11, 2022, 06:11:18 PM
Twice a year??? Wow
I need to apply wax every half hour of planing or after 30 boards of teak :o
We're about the same  ;)

YellowHammer

Johnson paste wax, I go through a couple cans a year.  The more frequently I put it on, the deeper it goes, almost like seasoning a cast iron frying pan.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!