iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New live edge coffee table/bench

Started by Downstream, March 12, 2022, 10:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

I grabbed my last hard maple live edge slab last week to build a new coffee table/bench.  I used my new cnc router to flatten the slab which was much nicer than using my router sled from past builds.  The legs are made from red oak and finished with dark walnut danish oil to provide a nice contrast to the maple.  The lower slat shelf is made from a piece of hard maple that I cut into strips with and then space them out to create a wider shelf that what the original board was.  This is a little trick I figured out a few years ago when I needed a wider shelf on a previous table but did not have a matching board that was wide enough.  I also use a draw knife to put a simulated live edge on the outer 2 pieces.  Overall piece is finished with poly for good protection.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Old Greenhorn

Very nice! Do you have a photo of it upside down? Always curious and learning how folks attach legs and do the bottom stringers, etc.
 I like your shelf technique, I may just steal that one. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Downstream

Here are a couple of quick photos of bottom side.  Simple design using 5/16 lag screws for the top and kreg screws to secure the lower shelf slats.  Used 5/16 lags because the  1/4 I started with kept twisting heads off as I slowing tightened them down into pre drill holes.  Hard to find decent quality small/shorter lags.  Everything is nice and tight.  So far the ones I have made like this have held firm over time without additional lateral supports.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Old Greenhorn

Hey, thanks for that photo, it pretty much answered all my questions. Do I see one screw in each end of the bottom straps?

For securing the top, take a look at those threaded inserts that Rite Leg sells. I got a box of those to try and I love 'em! Short lags in a slab top can be iffy over time, just my opinion. Those inserts allow you to put in a larger hole in the leg for float and movement. Just use a larger washer on whatever screw you select.

Again, nicely done.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Downstream

Yes single screw in each end of slats.  Almost did 2 per end for additional stiffness but decided not.  Could have offset each end vs center and added another later if required but did not think of that until now.  I agree on lag screws vs inserts.  Need to buy some so I have them on hand next project

kantuckid

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 12, 2022, 11:01:35 PM
Very nice! Do you have a photo of it upside down? Always curious and learning how folks attach legs and do the bottom stringers, etc.
I like your shelf technique, I may just steal that one. ;D
As I've mentioned before- I use through, round, turned, tenons with a bandsawn slit that's wedged with a contrasting hard wedge from above. Be sure to turn the wedge direction (sideways) toward corners to avoid splitting grain. I level the legs afterwards on a flat surface. I also use a butterfly insert plastic pattern for holding natual log defects in place
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

aigheadish

That's very pretty! I've got a handful of odd chunks of wood out in the pile that I'd love to get something like this out of. I owe a couple people tables and it's about time to try to get started on them. Your slats on the bottom look similar to the treatment I gave my dining room table, which is just made from Lowe's garbagey 2x4 and 2x6s. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Polish Hammer1

Looks awesome what's the rough dimensions I like the live edge benches 

Downstream

45 inches long top
13 to 20 inches deep
18 inches tall
10 inches deep lower shelf
1.5 inches thick top

Thank You Sponsors!