iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making drawer pulls?

Started by Brad_bb, April 20, 2022, 09:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I want to make some drawer pulls like this:

Where do I get the 8-32 threaded cylinder cylinders?  I'm assuming I'd counter bore the antler and epoxy those in.  I've seen connector caps and barrel nuts online, but they all have a head on them.  I don't have a lathe either.  Does someone sell the internally threaded rod or pre-made pieces?  I may want stainless or I could paint them in an oil rubbed bronze.  If brass were available that would be great too.  I didn't see anything from Rockler or woodcraft.  Help?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Old Greenhorn

Brad, I made 10's of thousands of those when I had my machine shop. Sadly, I no longer have the equipment or I would run some off for you. All mine were in brass.
 Use Google and search for "handle stand-off" or 'handle finials' and you may find what you are looking for. The standard for those, BTW, is an 8-32 thread in each end. When I made brass drawer pulls, I would tap 8-32 holes in the handle, screw in a long set screw to bottom and then screw the finial onto the protruding 'stud'. Worked like a charm and we could silver solder the joint for fill and gold plate or whatever.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Hilltop366

21incher

I have purchased  cheap round handles from Amazon made of 3 pieces of round stock and the risers are Male/  female threads.  Wonder if 8-32 threaded Inserts for plastic with the outer knurled would  hold better when applied in bone with Male female spacers that McMaster Carr or a suppier like that should have.  I'll  see if I still have the Amazon number because  you could  just use the 2 risers and toss the cross rod.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Brad_bb

The antler pieces that I plan to use are in the 1/2"  to 5/8"  diameter range.

Did searches as you recommended @Old Greenhorn 
but did not find much.  Definitely not in brass.

I could use a standoff (round body, female threads with a protruding male end to thread and epoxy into handle), or  threaded spacer (threaded tube).

I'm thinking 1/2" stand off length?  Does that sound about right to you?  or do you think it needs to be longer?  These are 3 bathroom vanity drawers.

The only thing I've found so far that is 8-32 and 1/2" length are these stainless spacers 
Small Parts 140808RF303 18-8 Stainless Steel Female Threaded Round Standoff, 1/4" OD, 1/2" Length, 8-32 Thread Size (Pack of 10): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

21incher

Then you may want to use OGHs idea and just drill a small hole to epoxy a set screw in. You may even be able to tap the bone. Then a simple 8-32 female thread standoff from Amazon.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WV Sawmiller

Brad,

Can't help with the material sources for the drawer pulls but I hope they work out well.

We stayed at the place below on 26 June, 2010 on our way to Etosha Game Park in Namibia and the owner/builder used wart hog tusks and Springbok horns for door pulls on the bungalows which were made of local stone and wood and absolutely overrun with character. We had a blast at the place. Your idea sounds very much like something he would have done. Good luck and show us the results.

Roys Camp | Namibia | Roys Rest Camp (roys-rest-camp.com)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

Now I've found these brass ones from Zoro Tools.  
Brass Round Female Standoff 1/4" OD x 0.500" Length x 8-32 Thread | Zoro.com
Likely out of China.  Not sure if they are actually available, but they have them in .500, .562, .625, and .687 lengths.  I'd have to try to order them to see if they really have them.

Old Greenhorn

I have bought a bunch of oddball stuff from zoro and it shows up surprisingly quick. I have been satisfied with them for those weird things.
 I would get them on the longer size first. With the radius of the handle and assuming you will put a small flat to seat the standoff, a 1/2 stud will leave a really small gap between the handle and the face. It's one of those things were it seems logical until you do it, then you realize you need more. Drawer weight will have an impact on that also. For a heavier (bigger) draw, we humans try to get a better grip on the pull to pull it out. If you get them a little too long, you could belt sand them shorter. If they are short, it's harder to fix that.
 You could also make the same pulls out of wood or antler and just drill and tap a hole in each end, attach as I described before and use a good clear epoxy to hold them in place. Threads in wood or bone will work for holding and gluing, but won't hold up by themselves for usage you need an epoxy or something IMHO.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

btulloh

HM126

Ljohnsaw

Were you able to find threaded inserts at Rockler or anywhere?  I'm thinking use those on the antler and then a piece of brass (or whatever) tube with the screws going through that.  You can get brass tube at a hobby shop (R/C airplanes, trains, etc) and even hardware stores like ACE.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

btulloh

HM126

kantuckid

Buy some round steel bar stock and drill & tap it. Easy peasy. if you make the other parts the spacers are easy. A drill press helps. 
When I clicked on this thread I thought it was going to be turned wooden pulls which is my only pull I use mostly, turned from scraps of the project on wood lathe. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!