iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber prices have come down some

Started by Tom King, August 08, 2022, 01:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom King

I'm fixing up an old dock, and didn't want to keep waiting.  Treated 2x12x16 was $45.

This was $396 worth of treated lumber this morning.

Bought from a real building materials supplier where I can back up to the stacks, and pick.  I hate digging through the racks in box stores, and will avoid it regardless of any price difference.  BIL and I were able to pick mostly clear boards.

CCCLLC

Nice looking stack. Just glad I'm not paying. Real nice they don't  mind you picking.

rusticretreater

Lord, that is insane.  And in NC no less!
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

moodnacreek

Most of my softwood is in stacked bundles stickered to be taken down for customer. They hate that.  They should be able to call ahead and have it on the ground but if I do that they never show up. It has been like this for years and it only gets worse.

Onthesauk

A truck had backed into a corner of the mail box station in our development.  A couple of neighbors fixed it but had to buy one fascia board,  1 X 8, 8 foot long, red cedar, $41.00.  Planed on one side and dry but.......
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Tom King

Turning this into something useable.

Still some work to do, but getting there.  I built it in the mid '80s when they let the lake down.  Ice had pushed up the end posts, but I couldn't pound them down any with a 20 lb. sledge hammer.  

Dock builder wanted a grand to come drive four posts if I bought the post.  Plans for dock mounted driver in my head, and some parts getting here.  Will post separate thread about that.

For now, I straightened up the leaning posts with a little chainsaw, and will add some more posts later.  I just have one screw in each end.  Will let them dry some, trim the edges straight, and add a 2x12 band flush with the tops of the deck boards.  The old bands were still straight, so I just dropped them down to level and straight, but will double them up.

Temporary cross pieces are to help handling the 2x12 bands.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kantuckid

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Tom King

I had only put one screw in each end of the decking boards to let them dry some.  This morning, they were already down to 14%, and a few had started to move, so I screwed them down.  Only two boards needed to be replaced, and those were just a couple that had large knots that I must have been sitting on and didn't see.

I straightened up the edges after screwing them down.  I had left them running a bit long on the ends in case any moved enough lengthwise to matter.

The 2x12's are to double up the outside bands, but I'll wait for my BIL, who wants something to do, to help me with those on Thursday.

It looks a lot better already though.

Tom King

Got the new 2x12 bands on this morning.  They're still soaking wet, so I put them on a little high.  When they do what shrinking they're going to do, I'll plane them down level with the decking boards, and put the dock bumper edging on.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Well, someone was checking the engineering, I see wet foot prints. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom King

I had to get underneath to take those temporary crosspiece supports for the 2x12 bands out from under it.  I thought I was going to have to put them on by myself, but my BIL helped, so I didn't even need the crosspieces.

Thank You Sponsors!