iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WDH Danny Hamsley

Started by Jeff, September 22, 2022, 09:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

It is with the deepest of heart that we have to let members of the Forestry Forum know that we have lost a cornerstone of our family.  Danny Hamsley - WDH - passed away yesterday, September 21, 2022.  At this time we don't have a lot of information about what happened other than to know that he was working at his mill, doing what he loved, when he died.  This does not appear to be any type of sawmill accident, rather a medical issue.    

Danny's contribution to the Forum, many of our members, the timber industry, and the sawmill world has been enormous.  His "passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark" is an understatement for the knowledge and understanding of what he possessed.  Among other things Danny was quite the musician and absolutely dedicated to his wife Ann.  

Right now we don't have more information to pass along, but will do so when it's available.  Member RefHawk is Danny's younger brother.  Please respect the families privacy during this time of loss but I am certain they would appreciate hearing from members who wish to reach out and pass along their condolences and messages of memories.  

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Thank you Jim, Southside, for writing this up for us. Tammy and I are heart broken. Danny meant so,so much to us. He was our family.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

btulloh

That is sad and shocking news. RIP Danny. Thoughts and prayers for the family. 
HM126

Texas Ranger

Danny was a forester's forester, few like him, and fewer more will there be.  A good and gentle man gone.   
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

Oh no. That is so sad to hear.
But glad he went the way I want to go when my time is up.
Yes, he will be missed. 
That guy could ID a tree with his eyes closed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Patrick NC

Very sorry to hear this. Praying for his family. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

SawyerTed

So sorry to hear about Danny's death.  I met him at Jake's and enjoyed Danny's knowledge, sincerity and humor.  

May God be with all of his family and friends. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Ljohnsaw

:(  So sad to hear.  Reminds you life is short and doing what makes you happy is so important.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

barbender

This breaks my heart! Danny was one of my favorite members, and one I hoped to meet someday😢
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

I am so sorry to hear this and my most sincere thoughts go out to his family.

I never met Danny in person but several years ago we were talking about boiled peanuts somewhere here on the forum and the next thing I knew UPS showed up at my door with a big bag of green peanuts that Danny had sent and I promptly set about boiling and eating. I think I sent a quart of local WV maple syrup back in the same box and I have considered Danny a dear friend ever since.

Go Dawgs, Danny. We miss you. :(
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

customsawyer

I am in absolute shock. I learned of his passing earlier this morning. I'm going to make a run over this afternoon to see if I can help with the kiln or anything else that might need doing. I'm certainly going to miss my dear FRIEND. RIP BIG WORDS.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

jeeper9574

Very sorry to hear this. Thoughts and condolences to his friends and family. He will be greatly missed. :(

Magicman

WDH was a Champion among Champions.  No words can express how Danny touched our lives and the memories of the times that we shared will continue to live with us forever. 

Rest in Peace Dear Friend,  Lynn, PatD, & Marty
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Rest In Peace Brother. Never thought the phone call the other week would be the last time we would talk.
Gonna miss you Dano. Until I see you again.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

:'( 
I met him at Jake's 2019. I brought a small piece of old softwood to show him. He was very interested to look at it. I enjoyed listening to his music on Jake's porch. And all his posts and humor. Very sad news wish his family the best.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Old Greenhorn

I have been in shock over this since I heard about it a while before it hit the forum. I still don't know what to say. My feelings and sorrow go out to his family, but we here on the forum who have gotten to know him over the years and depended on his wisdom will also be feeling the loss for a long time. A man whose great sense of humor was only exceeded by his knowledge, and more importantly, his willingness to take time and share both.
 We never met in person, but I will always remember that sign at the last pig roast reminding us he was there in spirit. I hope you still have that sign Jeff.
 Yeah, I still don't know what to say. This is a tough blow for everyone. Rest well in Eternal Peace Danny, y'all done well.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Walnut Beast

Never met the man but enjoyed all his knowledge that he shared on the Forestry Forum here. I'm shocked like everyone else. He will be greatly missed here !!!! Thoughts and prayers for him and his family. 

K-Guy

Those of us who met him were very lucky to have him in our lives if even for only a few minutes. Those who didn't missed an opportunity to meet a true gentleman and scholar, he shared not only his knowledge but his warmth and good nature.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Raider Bill

I spoke with him just a couple days ago. Can't believe that was to be the last time.

Danny came up to my Tennessee property years ago and dragged me [walking] all over the 133 acres never using a trail to inspect my trees and educate me.  Mr Big Words about wore me out.
He built me a bench which  I cherish.

Danny was a kind, caring man.
Going to miss him.
RIP my Friend.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

boonesyard

Wow,,,,,, this is a shock. I never met him in person, but he has helped me with so much with questions, answers, humor and the sawmill life, he will be greatly missed. Thank-you for everything Danny, see you later. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

YellowHammer

This is terrible and shocking news.  Danny was my good friend, and friend and respected by all. He helped everybody, always, and went above and beyond.  He was the guy we all could count on for advice, friendship and guidance.

We were texting yesterday afternoon and everything was fine, then the news came, a total shock...Rest In Peace, Danny.

Beyond tragic...    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Larry

Shocked and very sad.  Just a few weeks ago we exchanged PM's and had a phone conversation about a new countertop Danny was making for his daughter.

RIP my friend.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sawguy21

Wow, I am shocked and saddened. We never met in person but I always enjoyed his posts and learned from his wisdom. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dan_Shade

Wow, this is awful news.

I hope his family can find peace. 

Thanks for letting us know, I immensely enjoyed conversations with Danny at the pigroasts. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!