iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking mobile milling to a new level( sea level )

Started by Dan R, May 24, 2023, 11:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan R

Thought you Guys might get a kick out of this. I am 425 miles north of my home and 75 miles north east of Ketchikan Alaska in Yes Bay at anchor. Came across this set up. 

chep

Magicman

They gotta have lumber too.  Looks possibly like a Mobile Dimension?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

Reminds me of a story I read one of the threads. Ships bound for Asia would load logs off the Pacific coast, and by the time they got to the distant shore they were all cut into lumber (leaving the slab wood floating behind as they went).
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

barbender

One thing that always strikes a landlubber like myself when I see coastal operations is considering the tide. Something I've never had to deal with, it would take a while to get my mind wrapped around it. I wonder how much it fluctuates where that mill is?
Too many irons in the fire

DennisK

Certain times of the year could have tidal swings maybe in excess of 30 ft. Plus and Minus tides. Looks to be floating on massive long logs.

WCFAK

barbender, looking at the tidal charts for Yes Bay, the largest difference between high and low tide is roughly 24 feet and the smallest difference they experience is around 6 feet. Just depends on time of year and what day. Certainly not Bay of Fundy tides but not too weak either.

Old Greenhorn

That looks like a challenging mill to be a tail gunner on. ;D Looks like they roll the logs up right out of the water. Interesting idea.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

Well I guess they won't be wanting for a log pond😊
Too many irons in the fire

Dan R

Guys
Yes it is a Volkswagen engine powered 2 blade sawmill. I think it would be operated by the Yes bay lodge just around the corner. It is on a log lashed float and has a little BB winch to roll the logs up onto the mill bunks. Some of those mills had the board drag back on them so the wood may have come off the back. 
Dan. 

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Quebecnewf

That's a pretty slick setup . The mill is (in) the log pond . 

I'm thinking they saw a bigger run of logs for sure . Trying to push small logs around in the water would not be very efficient. Bigger logs make it work. There. Easy to move and position in the water . 

Very easy to move mill to new location . 

Quebecnewf 

mudfarmer

That's hilarious, my first thought was "Quebecnewf needs to see this"  :D

Dan R

Another Alaska sawmill with a big log pond

Quebecnewf

Quote from: mudfarmer on May 27, 2023, 02:56:35 PM
That's hilarious, my first thought was "Quebecnewf needs to see this"  :D
It's certainly got me thinking .I had at onetime a scheme to place my mill on a barge and move it to different sites. Might have to revisit that idea.

For right now my boat is on refit ( new wheelhouse) hauled ashore and covered by temp shed.

Will relaunch between the 3rd to the 6th of June during the high tides . Launch will be around midnight as this time of year our highest tides are always at night .
It's 3 weeks now since I hauled her ashore and it's been flat out every day working in her .

Will be a big relief to get back on the water and back to the mill . Starting to suffer with sawdust withdrawal. Not good . I've been building things in my shop but that's now log sawing sawdust .
Quebecnewf

OlJarhead

Lots of big sawmills in BC were that way and our log deck at the pulp mill was out Over the water.  Logs came in via barge
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

47sawdust

The mill in reply #13 looks to have a propane cylinder mounted on it.  ???
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

esteadle

Quote from: chep on May 25, 2023, 06:29:11 AM
That's a clever way to deal with sawdust  :)
And log loading!
A simple hookaroon of length moves tons of wood.
A forklift is useless here.

Dan R

47 Sawdust
Yes the Fellow had the Vanguard engine running on propane. 
Dan

Thank You Sponsors!