The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: BAD polyurethane tires " problems or snow job""??  (Read 1788 times)

Offline bhub

• Share Post
    • www.butchmuller.com
BAD polyurethane tires " problems or snow job""??
« on: May 10, 2006, 12:50:57 PM »
Has anyone heard of the tight polyurethane tires having trouble with oil.  I was told it was not uncommon for the blade to actually slip off,   The extra oil used to protect  the blades from rust builds up on the poly tires.  The water from the lube makes the blades slip right off.   I could run my mill all day dry. --BAMM-- As soon as I turned on the water the balde would  come right off. I mean you could cut a board with no lubrication , .but even when  out of the log the blade would come off as soon as you turned on the water. It was pretty strange. I still can't get use to that-- BAMM---  I was told poly tires had gotten too oily l .  I switched to the rubber tires and no problem. but a much smoother cut with poly. Has anyone ever had this trouble?  Or was I being snowed by a mill company that sent out a machine that was not set correctly or the tires were not trued ? 
bhub

Offline jpgreen

• Senior Member x2
  • My Boy- Snoopy Dogbone Green
    • Share Post
Re: BAD polyurethane tires " problems or snow job""??
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 09:33:14 PM »
I think the poly tires would be great cept for oil, as you mentioned and then heat.  Of course to help with the heat, you would want to use a lube, but now you're going in circles.

They may not be suitable for an all around condition tire.  From the feedback I've read on them, I don't think I'll try a set.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Offline Skip

• Saw hard or stay home.
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 02:31:52 PM »
It's not your mill I had the same problem the only choice you have is not to run lube. I emailed the manf. twice about the problem and never got an answer. Chalked the 30+ dollars up to exp. I use NAPA belts and tires and have no problems. So much for high tech.

Offline sjh

• Full Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 11:14:59 PM »
I have a Hudson with pyrathane belts. They said not to use any oil products because the blade will slip off. Timberwolf uses a similar belt made out of urethane(does not tell what type) and they say to use bar oil/diesel mix.
So far I have used water and windshield fluid without a problem.

Offline Quartlow

• Senior Member x2
  • Amuture Sawer, master wood destroyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 09:36:08 AM »
I don't know about the ones your running , but I also use the  urethane belts from TW and I lubed with old diesel all last winter not a bit of trouble.

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter