iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

(One) Two month and counting

Started by isawlogs, September 23, 2006, 11:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

A month ago this weekend , I was brought ordered to get to a hospital , after some debate I was driven to one by some wimines in my life , one being my wife the other her sister .
  I had gone for a walk with my nephew , we walked along the railway line then went up into the hills and where looking for deer and the trees , not fifteen minutes into our hill climbing , I had to sit and wipe my forehead from sweat , also had to sit and catch my breath . This walk I would do many times with out stopping other to have a look at any tree or plant that caught my attention ... After a ten minute break and a cigarette , I got up and we took off again , only to have to stop after ten minutes , nephew asked if he needed to get a wheel chair for me the next time I wanted to go for a walk  ::) Well after another break that lasted ten to fifteen minutes we got up and started to go again , I did not go far when my arm started to hurt some and chest started to squeize some and of course was sortof looking around for some air to breath ...  ::)  sat down some and nephew took off for the house leaving me and going to see about getting something to come and get me ...  I managed to get back to the farm before he was able to locate a bike to come get me , 
   When my sister in law arived for the weekend and my wife arived from work , they both though I was a little gray in color , but said nothin more , I was feeling ok then , so did not say much about it ... till the nephew opened his food trap , that  started some serious questionning from the sisters ... in tandem , one being a registered nurse , the other a phisiotherapist ... then the mother in law , retired registered nurse , got an ear full of what was hapening from that food munching nephew of mine , Having three of them on me I had no where to hide or go ... but to a hospital , I hate hospitals with a passion ... every time I go there seams they find a place to put a cast on or a place to put a screw in me ... they realy like to cut you up so they can try out a new sewing technic ,
    When I did get up to go on my own , I almost fell to the ground ... that when they through me in the car and we made it to the hospital and I was admitted in a record time ... no line ups this time .
    I was lucky , real lucky ... After all the test where run , this in the middle of the night , X-ray , wired-up like a robot thing , echographe , you name it I was on it  that night , I dont  truly remember all they did .. but they did do a lot ,
I was able to get home , but only if I promised all involved to stop smoking and take beter care of my health in genral ...
   that was on a Friday night , On Sunday noon that same week end a month ago I put out what I hope to be my last ever cigarette , I also had my last glass of Bleue , seeing as the beer was what helped me start the nicotine thing , I stopped that at the same time .
   So all this typing  was to tell you that I am proud of myself for having been free of smoke for a whole month .  ;D :D :D :D :D
   Oh and the ticker is good for anoder hundred thousand miles ...  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Furby

DanG happy ya gave it up Marcel, wanna make sure ya are around for another piggy roast........ we need someone who can give directions! ;D
Keep up the good work! 8)

asy

Gosh Marcel, I'm sure glad those wimminses got ya organised!

I'm really proud of you giving up smoking, and I bet your family is thrilled!!!

Just think of all the $$$ you'll save! More money to buy more toys!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

woodbowl

Good for you Marcel, I was wondering when you would tell it. You've got it whipped now. A month is a long time according to my cousin. He's a smoker and he said it is the hardest thing he has ever tried to do in his life. He's tried so many different  programs to quit, he's lost count. That was last year. He's still smoking.  :-\
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Bibbyman

Congratulations!!  Good deal.  8)

Dad quit drinking and smoking cold turkey some 50 years ago.  He said they'd had friends over and played cards all night and they drank and smoked cigars.  He said he awoke the next day sick as a dog and decided then and there to quit. 

Mom decided to quit at the same time.  She made good on breaking her drinking habit (I don't think she drank that much) but she had to quit smoking another hundred times after that.  Mom had to quit for health reasons a number of years back but everyone knew she "snuck one" (or two or three) every day.  I think she's finally quit now.

My oldest son took up smoking when in the Navy.  He's tried to quit a number of times – even cut back – but he's like my mom,  he's not been able to resist going back to smoking when he's around others that smoke.

I'm glad I never had the urge to smoke.  I've drank a beer or glass of wine every now and then and now as part of my BP maintenance,  I'm forced to drink a beer every day.  I usually take it a supper time.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Don K

Marcel, I am glad to hear that you are hanging in there. It will be tough at times but you will get through it. Don't be hardheaded when it comes to your heart. I lost my best-ever Granddaddy to a heart attack because he would not go to a hospital when urged. The doctor said 24 hrs. would have made all the difference in the world  :'(
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Saki

Congrats and keep up the good work. Being a non-smoker I can only imagine how tough it would be to quit the habit. Seen lots of people try and lots of people fail. Glad you made it.

Norm

That is good news Marcel. :)

I told Patty if you started up again I'd have to go up there and kick your hind end....just so happened moose season was when I was thinkin of going. ;D

Radar67

Marcel,
   Keep up the good work. I sat down and figured up and it has been almost 8 months for me. The first two are the worst...now, I don't even think about it, and being around it makes me sick to my stomach.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

bitternut

Marcel, glad to hear you were lucky enough to get a warning. I really love your description of your nephew. I hope you thanked him for his flapping food trap. I quit smoking cold turkey 30 years ago and it was the hardest thing I ever did. I'm pulling for you. It gets better and easier as time goes by. You will be glad that you quit and much better off health wise for sure. Just take it one minute at a time and before you know it years will have past.

Best of luck 8)

Fla._Deadheader

Been wonderin howyou were handling that, Marcel. Just was afraid to ask.  ::) 8) 8)

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.  8) 8)

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sawguy21

What bitternut said, I chuckled too. I tried smoking when I was a kid and saw no sense in making a career of it. However, I know it is a tough habit to break. Glad you had the wake up call in time and GOOD LUCK.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Burlkraft

Way Ta Go Marcel.... 8) 8) 8)

I hear ya been givin' directions out in French again :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

scsmith42

Congrats Marcel - a tough thing to do.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

dave7191

Marcel You've got the worst over with the next two or three months will still give you some problems  when you get the urge just go do something else it will pass I used the gum but everyone is different as to how it effects you I could could pick one up today and it would be like i never quick my brother quick about the same time and he can't stand the smell but i've got 8 years and counting and it was the hardest thing i've ever done

DWM II

Good job and keep it up! I was also a smoker and dipper, but was able to kickem both. Its a struggle on occasion but the feel better benefits are more worth it!  smiley_clapping
Stewardship Counts!

Shotgun

Marcel,  sure glad to know that you're taken control of the situation. Yup, I can imagine that it's a hard thing to do, but you're making real progress, and congratulations for that. My thanks to your nephew and to the ladies in your life. We need 'em, and we need 'em bad sometimes. This was one of those times for you. Hang in there. We're all pulllin' for you.

By the way, it was sure nice meeting you at the piggy roast. Looking forware to seeing you again.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

thecfarm

It's nice to have people around you that love you.I don't like those hospitals,none much either.But I'm not ready to die yet either.Guess we all need them from time to time.Good luck to you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

breederman

Good for you.  What will you do with your new found energy?
Together we got this !

Corley5

Stay on the wagon Marcel.  It's tough I know.  It's been just about two and a half years since I quit.  It was almost a year before I felt that I could safely have a beer.  Doesn't bother me so much anymore but seldom does a day go by that at sometime I don't think about a cigarette.  I just forget it and keep on going.  I also know exactly how hard it was to give em up, I went cold turkey, and never want to go through it again and one cigarette would put me back to square one.  I know people that can smoke and quit at will no problem.  They can smoke and drink at a party and maybe not smoke again for months.  Wish I could do that as I really did enjoy cigarettes with beer :( :( ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Sprucegum

We are cheering for you Marcel  8)

I decided to quit when my 8 year-old son could out run me (that was in 1988).
I had to quit drinking to do it  :(   ???  but after a year I was able to have a single drink with a meal on special occasions. And they say that's good for you.  :D

Edit to note: That Dang kid can still outrun me! He never did smoke  ;)

UNCLEBUCK

That is wonderful news marcel ! oui oui  :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

pigman

Good for you Marcel. I was going to quit smoking until I remembered I never started.
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

isawlogs

Thanks guys , sure feels good to know that I am on the reight (wright ) (rite) (write) track .
Ah Norm , with a comment like that I could just light one up and see if you would ...  I would  double dare ya to come up and do some looking around for moose with me .  ;D

Harrold , beeing as far away as you are , I dont see hows you can be afraid of anything up this way  :D

Burlcraft , ya been talking to Jeff to much ... or maybe its the other way around , I only talked to Chet for a little while , and he knew right away who it was on the other end of the phone ... Those yoopers , ya cant fool them none .  :D  Not that ya can fool a Floridian any more then those Yoopers , DanG said it was the phone that was making funny noises ... thats his story and he was dead set on sticcking to it .

Energie ... dont that = to Gone hunting ...  ;D ;) :) :) :)

We just finished putting up a log house today , the boys all had to have a cold one or two . I , on the other hand , got to do something that I never ever thought I would ever be called apawn to do . I got to be * the designated driver  * Me .. of all people an official  DD  move_it move_it move_it move_it smiley_thumbsup Times they are a changen ... yes sir , theys a changen fur shure  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pigman

You are on the right track with quitting smoking. I raised that stuff for a long time.  I probably killed a thousand people. :(
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!