iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking about a portable sawmill

Started by TNhobbyfarmer, March 01, 2007, 08:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNhobbyfarmer

I am considering purchasing a hobby portable sawmill, probably something like a Woodmizer LT15.  I have never owned one before, so my knowledge base is very limited.  There are a lot of large cedar trees on my farm.  Is there much of a market for sawed cedar?  If I could saw some cedar to sell maybe I could recoup some of the cost of buying the mill.  Does that sound like a plan that has any merit?  Please give me honest opinions.  Don't worry about being critical.  I need advice.

SAW MILLER

Well this is the place to talk about it with them thats done it.There is a pretty good market for cedar and you can use it with just air drying it too.Sounds like a good plan to me ;D ;D
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

walexander

Furby

Bout all I can say is be prepared to work for your markets, no matter what you are cutting.
That work may be harder then actually cutting the logs, so be prepared.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum TNhobbyfarmer.I have a manual mill too.I suppose that's what a LT15 is.I would hate to try to make money with mine.It could be done,but it would take ALOT of WORK and TIME.If you have free help than I could see it.Every thing is slow with a manual mill.I suppose you have a tractor to get the logs to your mill?I think cedar dulls blades quicker than other wood.I have mine for my own personal use.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TNhobbyfarmer

Quote from: walexander on March 01, 2007, 08:45:40 PM
Where abouts in TN are you located.

I live in Hendersonville.  My farm is west of here in Stewart County.

Robert Long

Welcome TNhobbyfarmer 8)

The WM 15 is a hobby mill (a good one)  If you plan to use it as a sawmill for profit than you should step up to a larger series.

You will need back up equipment and a good system set up for loggin',haullin',millin', stackin' and so on.

It's a catch 22.....It's all you can afford but it's not enough to make it pay with out a lot of work and additional equipment ( like a truck to deliver )and a lot of help.

Robert

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum!

I think your plan is perfect.  The LT15 would be an excellent mill to cut your teeth on.  If you find you need a larger mill, or if you find out it's just not working out, the LT15 enjoys good resale value. So there is little risk in your plan.

Another nice thing about the LT15 is it's reasonable to lengthen (as needed) to saw any length of beam.  If you've got big cedar and can find the market for long beams,  this could be a small but lucrative market. (Ask as much as you dare and then double it.)

We made the first payments on our LT40 manual mill back in 94 by sawing out cedar lumber and posts for another mill.  Worked for us.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bull

I started w/ an LT 15..... paid $ 6000.00 to get started, was able to saw up to 20 ', I made $22,000 my 1st year parttime... in my 4th year I update to an LT 40 SuHd 36 and sold the LT 15 for more than I paid for it.... Both mills are still working ...... LT 15 has less to go wrong on it so it won't discourage you w/ all sorts of wrenching while you get started..  I say get on the phone and ordr it !!!

Kelvin

another thing to consider is used.  I always love to buy used, and for sawmills, there are a lot of them out there as people buy them without thinking it through.  Try sawmillexchange.com or something like that.  A good machine is also the Norwood.  Lots of guys here have them, i see them used frequently, that way if you don't use it so much, you can always sell it for what you have in it.  First guy to buy something new alwasys takes a bite.  maybe the person you buy from will show you lots of tricks that will also be worth more than gold for the learning curve!  They often also have lots of accessories that would cost a lot of $ that don't get much resale thought, blades, sharpener, cant hook, etc.
Have fun!
kelvin

WDH

I have an LT 15.  It is a fantastic little mill.  If your plan is to saw the cedar on your property to help pay for it, and then you intend to mainly saw for mainly yourself (and limited sawing for others) rather than commercially, I think that is a very sound plan.  If you plan to saw commercially on a daily basis, the LT 15 is too small and slow for the production you will need to make to make it pay out and it will work you to death.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

snowman

hobby your plan is perfect.No flaws whatsoever. I have a small pushmill, a 40 hp tractor and my own timber.I paid for everything the 1st summer, it's all gravy now. Go for it! ;D

TNhobbyfarmer

Thanks for all the replys and encouragement.  I'm sure when I pull the trigger and make the purchase, I'll be coming here for advice and guidance on how to use the equipment I buy.  You guys (and girls) obviously know your stuff and I plan to tap into the knowledge base here.

solodan

No,

There is no market for sawed cedar, especially from the big trees you have. I'm sure one of the other forum members closer to you would be willing to cut your timber at a good price and then dispose of those useless  logs for another fee.  ;) Welcome to the forum. If you find yourself a good niche market, than any sawmill could be big enough . Someone in the right market could make a fine living with just an Alaskan mill.  :) An Lt 15 sounds like a great mill for what you need. It will be hard work, but money well spent. The only downside of buying a sawmill is coming up with the other $million  you will need to buy all the other toys :-X tools you are going to want. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!