iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

source for 14" single grouser pads

Started by OneWithWood, May 01, 2007, 10:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

When I replaced my JD450C crawler loader I let the grouser pads go with the old machine.  That was a mistake.  The three bar pads on the replacement machine are extremely limiting on the steep terrain that is my woods.  I desperatley want to replace the three bar pads with single grouser pads.  The problem I am having is that these machines don't get used much for logging today so the bulk of available grouser pads are for dozers.  A dozer pad is 18+" while a loader pad is only 14".
I have searched the web but I have not located a source for the 14" pads.  My JD dealer is also searching.
Any ideas?  If I could find used pads that would be great becasue I am sure new ones are salty.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Steven A.

Try these guys. A large used heavy equipment dismantler in Wisconsin. They have new aftermarket parts as well.   http://www.thilltractor.com/

Have you thought of buying replacement grouser bars and welding them on?

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

In Arkansas, I watched guys welding on "Toe Steel". They bought boxes of bars specially made for welding onto worn down ribs on the pads. I KNOW they used 14" on one dozer. I owned that one for a while ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

OneWithWood

Steve, actually I have thought of welding bars on.  My thought was to weld  ¼"x1" flat stock onto the center bar of the triple bar.  Do you think that would work?
When I find out the cost of new pads I may opt to do the welding.

Corley that would be a lot of cutting  :-\  I am lazy by nature  ;)
One With Wood

Fla._Deadheader

Can't imagine using ¼" for cleats.  ??? ???  ½" would be minimal and it's HARD stuff.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

OneWithWood

I will have to source that 'toe steel'.  Do you think it would function ok welded to the center bar of the three bar 'street pads'?
One With Wood

Corley5

It'd be a lot of welding  :)  Bet ya could burn two inches off the ends of each one faster than you could weld bars on to them  ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

OneWithWood

You got a point.  I probably should aquire a torch if I am going to change out pads.  I am sure it would make removing the bolts a bunch easier.  Yeah, I need a torch.

So that brings up another question.  What do I need to know about torches?
One With Wood

logwalker

Use this as a good excuse to buy a plasma cutter and trim those with no muss and very little fuss. I am looking for an excuse to buy one. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

bioguy

Have you tried CrawlerHeaven? I got a half dozen grouser plates for my old T340 crawler/loader from him. He usually has a bunch of machines in the process of parting out.

Dave
bioguy

scsmith42

OWW - why not just run 18" pads?  You'll have lower ground pressure, and I'm pretty sure that the UC is the same on a 450C - whether it's a dozer or a loader.

If you torch them, get a plasma cutter - hands down the trick way to do it.

Find out who your local Berco dealer is.  I can provide you with a local reference that has great prices and customer service, and they can ship them to you.  Let me know if you're interested.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

gmmills

What you are looking for is what is termed weld on grouser stock. Your JD dealer should be able to find it for you.  You will want to weld the grouser stock to the front bar of the pad. The same position as a standard single bar grouser.

There are alot of older 450C's still in the woods in my area. The last set of pads that I put on my old machine were 14 inch triple grousers with welded on bar stock. I have also seen guys use 18inch single grouser pads and burn 2 inches from the inside for boom clearance. This gives you a 16 inch offset pad. Less ground pressure equals more floatation.  The only drawback to this is the rollers and track chain tend to wear more unevenly. More stress on the outside edge of the track.

We used to be able to buy single grouser pads with the option of an open center pad or closed center pad. I think only closed center pads are availiable today.  

I have two left over triple grouser pads, like new, one with the gouser bar all ready welded on it. They both need a home, since I sold my 450C loader 5 yrs ago. If you interested PM me.

scsmith42

You can't run 18" pads on a 450C loader. No boom clearance.

Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

scsmith42

GM - thanks for the info.  I spent some time on a 450B loader - but that was 25 years ago, and in my fuzzy memory the UC seemed similar to my current 550B.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!