iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have you noticed what I noticed?

Started by TexasTimbers, August 09, 2007, 02:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Apart from my post here (at the time of posting) there is nothing in bold type under the Last Post column. Which means no activity. Which means it's just too DanG hot for fellas and gals to be in the woodshop I reckon.

Happens every year this time of year. I just thought I would ask anyway, if anyone has any projects going on, and if so, are you doing it only at night?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Dodgy Loner

I've got a A&C style end-table and a set of built-in bookcases that I just completed last week.  I am in the process of finishing them this week.  Like you say, it's too hot (over 102 the last two days) to be in the shop too long.  I go in every night and give the pieces another coat of finish, and then I get back to air-conditioning ASAP.  Pictures will be following shortly.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

metalspinner

Walnut entertainment center is underway.  Just today it stopped looking like a pile of boards.  My shop is in the basement - nice and cool. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

mike_van

I've got some walnut & glass cabinets going in the basement too, trouble is I've been so busy between the sawmill, a summer job at our school, and a big pipe & stone drainage job in one of our fields, I just can't get back to the cabinets. Maybe a little tomorrow, it's supposed to rain all day here.  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Fla._Deadheader

Making Kitchen cabinets with Teak stiles. Sorting through lumber stacks to get stuff that is nearly dry enough to use. Planting Trees. Other numerous projects.

It's 85° here, until the afternoon rains and wind, then it's 65° or so.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Haytrader

Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

Yep, roughly 9 months of it, give er take a month.  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

davemartin88

Too hot here- no AC in the shop, heat index well over 100 the last few days. I did spend an hour or so on Monday morning in the shop before it got too hot- bought a new box jig and made a small box for my son's girlfriend that she will use as a shadowbox. Only took about 45 minutes including setting up and figuring out the jig.

I did take a load of wood out of the solar kiln, the first cherry I sawed/dried and ran one piece through the planer to see how it looked, nice, hope it all turns out as well, only about 50 bdft in this load but enough for some small projects.

Winter is my woodworking time, I have great heat in the shop.

ARKANSAWYER

Well it did hit 102 today but we kept working on our wood project.  It was the reason that I could not leave to go to the Piggy Roast.  Should finish it next week  and it is to be even hotter then.

ARKANSAWYER

getoverit

Man I have been quite busy in the shop! (it is air conditioned)

First of all, I am building several new guitars.

The guitar on the right is made from some sycamore that Part_Timer brought to me a couple of months ago. The other one is made from Sapele from Africa. The Sycamore guitar is topped with western red cedar from Oregon and the sapele is topped with Englemann spruce from Canada.

The next guitar is one made out of Ash (more wood that Part_Timer brought down) and is topped with Adirondack Spruce from Canada. You can see the inside of this guitar and how it is braced in the picture.

The headstock for my new guitars will carry my name inlayed in Mother of Pearl. Here you can see a few of the new headstocks made out of East India Rosewood and Ebony.

I am still looking for domestic quarter sawn hardwoods (anything but oak) for my luthier business. Part_Timer is the only one who has responded so far. See my post requesting "short boards" in the wanted section of the FF.

Thanks for looking!

Ken

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

turningfool

you're right kevin.even here in michigan it gets very hot lately..but...hot or knot i usually turn in my shop a few hours a day..love to turn in sub zero weather too..some guys are just daffy,of which i am one ;D

SwampDonkey

Hasn't been real hot here for a week now. Nice dry northern summer weather in the 70's, lower 80's. My shop however is quite cool in hot weather, being insulated. My current wood project is stashing away my winter's wood in the basement of the house and down in the shop. However, I'm not as motivated in summer to be in the shop as I am in the long winter months. ;D I got too much to do during summer with work and all. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Part_Timer

I finished drying a load of salvage white ash a couple of weeks ago and figured it was a good time to make some new cabinets for my shop.  I have one done for my forstner bits.  I'm working on the new sanding supply cabinet at this time.  I sorta figured out how to run my Porter cable dove tail jig and am putting the carcus together with it.  Now I just need to figure out how I want the doors to look.

I'll post a picture or two when I go back out tonight.  It's just too hot during the mid day.

GOI I sure like that sycamore.  I have some 8 ash out there if you want it.  I'll trade it to ya for some more of them cigar boxes.  ;D ;D  I came up with an idea and need about a dozen or so.  ::) ::) ::) I knew when I left your place I'd figure out what to do with them. :D
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

getoverit

Quote from: Part_Timer on August 11, 2007, 05:19:25 PM

GOI I sure like that sycamore. I have some 8 ash out there if you want it. I'll trade it to ya for some more of them cigar boxes. ;D ;D I came up with an idea and need about a dozen or so. ::) ::) ::) I knew when I left your place I'd figure out what to do with them. :D

Deal!!  I got your address, I'll send them to ya.

Dodgy Loner

Beautiful work, getoverit.  The sapele guitar is quite striking , but I really like the sycamore guitar.  It's nice to see a luthier using some native woods for guitar backs.  I think there are a lot of nice ones that get overlooked.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Patty

Your guitars are beautiful!  We don't have any quartersawn walnut or cherry, we usually flat saw both of them. However, I will keep looking, and will set aside any pieces that I find. What length is required for you?
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

getoverit

36" is a good size for me, or multiples of 36".

Thanks Patty and Dodgy!

SwampDonkey

I've commented on getoverit's before. They are indeed nice works. It shows the care and attention to detail and materials he demands to create them.

Glad you found some red spruce, still can't believe you couldn't get some from those mountains. I guess folks must have the right day jobs, or less desire to cut trees to be put to good use. I suppose it also depends on how abundant they are on someones woodlot, maybe they can't part with them. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scgargoyle

I finally got my ducks in a row, and have been making new cabinet doors for my kitchen re-model. I bought a Ridgid table saw (stationary, VERY stationary!) and a Freud dado set. Rails and stiles are poplar, and the infill is pine bead board. I'll paint 'em white and call it good. Right now, it's WAY to hot for this stuff in FL, but I have a little A/C unit in the garage which works OK if I turn it on in the morning. Shoulda cleaned the garage first, though, I guess. Not much room to work... Funny, I've noticed that all the various forums I go to are slower in the summer- everybody out doin' instead of talkin' about it, I guess. Here in FL is just the opposite- you're housebound in the summer, out doin' in the winter.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Part_Timer

GOI  IF your willing to dry it I'll be cutting beech and I may have a cherry big enough to Q saw some for ya.  Should be this week if everything goes right.
Peterson 8" ATS.

getoverit

I can use both of them Tom!

I'll try to get your cigar boxesin the mail tomorrow or tuesday.  Thanks again!

TexasTimbers

Quote from: metalspinner on August 09, 2007, 05:31:32 PM
Walnut entertainment center is underway.

Update ???

Quote from: getoverit on August 11, 2007, 12:24:41 PM
I am still looking for domestic quarter sawn hardwoods (anything but oak) for my luthier business.

Ken  - I am getting ready to kill two birds with one stone and maybe three if you can use some q.s. osage. I have to fill another osage sawdust order and so I am gonna cut some q.s. marimba key blank stock sooner than I had planned. Darn. :)

If you want some q.s. osage I will cut some for you as well. I logged 2 more big solid osages last week while cutting some Box Elder. Oh yeah. Have you seen my Box Elder ???  If not look at my website.

metalspinner

QuoteQuote from: metalspinner on August 09, 2007, 05:31:32 PM
Walnut entertainment center is underway.

QuoteUpdate

My wife got me "updating" the bathroom.  Entertainment center s on hold.  Need to order some hardware anyway.

TexasTimbers

If anyone understands getting sidetracked it is me. Reason I was aksing is I am gonna need to build one pretty soon.

metalspinner

So far I have the side panels assembled, the bottom with through tenons and wedges made, and the back panel assembled.  Still need to make the top, doors, and drawer unit.  Nothing is finish sanded yet.  Ugh... still lot's of work. :(

getoverit

Kevjay,
I could use a few boards of osage (QS) and the box elder looks mighty promising. Do you have any of this that is QS as well?

TexasTimbers

Ken I don't have any q.s. box elder right now but I will soon. I supply a luthier in Arizone and wants more. I'll give ya a call when I log some more big ones. Last trip I just got 12ish sizes for cookies and cabinet lumber for the house. When you said multiples of 36" is 4" too small or would you like to stay with 6" 9" 12" 18"? I don't think I can get 18" qs in box elder but 6 - 9 should be no prob.

Part_Timer

I've been working on my new shop cabinets a bit at a time for the last couple of weeks.  This lumber came from an ash tree that was laying in the river for 2 years. I covered them in Almond oil.  It is what I use for my turnings.  Should make a nice cabinet set for a wood shop anyway. The small one with drawers has my forestner bits in it.  The drawers come completly out so you can take them to the drill press if you want to.  The larger one is for my sanding supplies.

Peterson 8" ATS.

Burlkraft

Nice work Tom..... 8) 8) 8)

I especially like them doors..... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

WDH

PT,

Those tools are blessed to have such a fine abode ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

getoverit

Nice cabinets Tom! I like the looks of the doors also.

Kev, then I said I need multiples of 36", I meant in length. The width of the board needs to be 8" or greater. I can handle any thickness you get.....4/4 to 16/4

TexasTimbers

PT those are real purrrrrrty!

GOI okay I can handle it I think. Length for sure.

Part_Timer

Thanks guys I'll post more as I get them done but it won't be any time soon.
Peterson 8" ATS.

SwampDonkey

Ash is nice to work with, although it sometimes takes a bite out of a finger if the edges are sharp.  ;D

Nice looking cabinets so far.  :)

red

I found some pictures from a guitar maker who was a member here named getoverit the pictures are in this posting 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!