iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do.....What to do?? -Penn. NY, Vt.

Started by Grawulf, August 19, 2007, 07:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grawulf

My lovely wife and I are headed from Ohio through Pennsylvania and New York and will end up around Shelburne, Vermont for a couple of weeks starting around Labor Day. It's been 25 years since we've had a vacation without children! We love primitive camping and canoing. Do you folks have any favorite places to go and get off the beaten path? Thought if anybody would be knowledgable, it would be FFers! Thanks!   Devan

dutchman

Most of the good water in PA. is upper tier counties.
I like Clarion River area, Cooks Forest state park. North West
There is the Grand Canyon of PA. Wellsboro area. Haven't been there in years. N Central
Ohiopyle in souther Pa. along Maryland border.
Most of these are not very primative  Best do a search in PA. tourist activies.

Have a good time.

stonebroke

Make sure you go to the Hall of Fame in Cooperstowns and Howe Caverns in Schoharie County.

Stonebroke

bedway

The tionesta area is a great vacation spot. Hunting, fishing, camping. Beautiful views with all kinds of stuff to see and do. But i live here, and might be a little biased  :) If ya have any questions just yell,,bedway

moosehunter

For almost primative camping and good easy canoeing you might try the Saranac lake chain in the upstate NY. We went there once, you canoe out into the lakes, find you own island and claim it by setting up camp. A ranger will be by sometime in the evening to collect some $$. I think it was $7 about ten years ago.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Grawulf

pep

Hey Devan, I thought you usually canoe up my way in September.  Did you make it up to Lady Evelyn in May?

Cheers

Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Brad_S.

Route 20 across central New York is a rather scenic way to get across the state. If you enjoy wine, the Finger Lakes Region in Central New York has a gazillion wineries with tastings available and many are not too far off that main drag.
As MH mentioned, the Adirondack region is a noted for rivers, lakes and camping. That's where the "Great Camps" of the Rockefeller's, Vanderbilt's and contemporaries were located and where they would go when they wanted to get away from "civilization".
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Tom

QuoteDid you make it up to Lady Evelyn in May?

That brings back memories.  A friend of mine and I drove there from detroit, where he worked, and fished for a week.  It looks like all the cabins have been replaced at "Ellen Island Camp" and I hear it has been sold several times since the early 1980's.   It was a great time then and my first experience with Canadian glacier lakes.  The owners of the camp sure made our visit special. 

pep

Tom

The Lady Evelyn Smoothwater Park is still a world class canoeing destination, and Lady Evely Lake is one of the best walleye fisheries in the province.  It also has the highest point in the province, Maple Mountain.  I've fished Lady Evelyn a few times in the spring, and been up in the winter.  It is a treacherous lake both in winter and summer.  It is very shallow with alot of deadheads, so you have to know the lake.  In the winter you can be fishing on a foot of ice one day and the next it can be openwater :o.  I remember fishing in March onetime, we had 7 snow machines.  We had taken the bush trail to the lake but because it was so rough decided to come down the Lady Evely River.  I ran into a camp owner and he said just follow my tracks, there's lot's of ice :-\   When we got to the mouth of the river it was wide open :o, I've never seen so many machines head for shore so fast.  I just held the throttle to the bar for the next 7 miles till we hit the dam at the Montreal River Dam.  That was the last time I ice fished Lady Evelyn ;D ;D

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

Tom

We were picked up at Mowat landing and taken by barge and boat upriver to a dam, where we portaged,m and then further in the lake to what seemed to be the farthest camp.   My friend and I had a cabin for two and mostly explored the lake.  We found a pass beyond the camp (I don't know the direction we were going, but it was away from the dam) .  The pass led to a smaller lake and we found a rock and boulder beach where we made our day camp.  The water in front was clear as crystal and full of small mouth bass.  The rest of the campers at the lodge made fun of us for catching small mouth.  They called them trash fish.  We were from Florida... Those weren't trash fish to us.  Our shore lunches consisted of filets of 25 or 30 fish.  The innards went back in the water.  The next day, the bottom would be clean as a whistle..  We never did figure out what was getting the heads, entrails and backbones out of 20 feet of water.

We also found a narrow water trail that we followed and fished that went back toward a mountain and was full of cattails and other plants that we weren't familiar with.   We figured that it would be a good place for a big Northern to hide.  What did we know?  :D   Finally, after a half day of fishing that stream, we gave up.

Lady Evelyn would be a great lake to scuba dive.   It's crystal clear and just seems that it would be full of history.

Grawulf

Holy Mackerel - (or bass) ...........what a small world. Tom, as kids, my dad took us up to Gilmore's Island which was just down the lake from Ellen Island. I fell in love with the Canadian wilderness and in the last fifteen years, my brother and I have renewed our trips North. Last year, we met Pep at Findlayson Point campgrounds the evening before we went into the outback. Normally, I would be coming your way about now, Aaron, but just felt like doing something different - I expect to be back next year! We usually go for the bass too, Tom - easier to catch from a canoe. Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater is such an amazing place - every turn has something new to see and it gets up close and personal from a canoe.

pep

Hey Devan, you probably know Lady Evelyn better than me.  I think I've only been up there about 5 times.  I tend to stick to the smaller lakes. Tom,  Lady Evelyn has some very huge northerns, also most of the lakes and creeks in and around the park have native brook trout.
So Devan, are you being flooded?

Cheers

Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

Grawulf

Nope! We'z high and dry - Mansfield and Shelby to the south of us ('bout 15 mile) had some major water. We live on the edge of a ravine with a creek at the bottom - it'd have to rise about 60 feet to cause us damage.
I have been looking over some of the sites on Saranac and I think we will spend a good bit of time there - sounds like a beautiful place. Thanks for suggestions everybody - keep 'em coming. We've still got a week to plan.    Devan

Grawulf

I'm just playing here working on picture posting. Hopefully here's one from a number of years ago - Diamond Lake in Temagami, Ontario

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: Tom on August 23, 2007, 10:56:43 PM
The rest of the campers at the lodge made fun of us for catching small mouth.  They called them trash fish.  We were from Florida... Those weren't trash fish to us.  Our shore lunches consisted of filets of 25 or 30 fish.  The innards went back in the water.  The next day, the bottom would be clean as a whistle..  We never did figure out what was getting the heads, entrails and backbones out of 20 feet of water.

So, what fish did they consider to not be trash fish?  Walleye?

If so then it depends an what you want out of a fish I suppose.  Most any fish is fun to catch, but smallies are something special on the end of your line.  But when it comes to the table, walleye is probably unrivaled by any freshwater fish (with scales I might add - as catfish still are in a class by themselves  :)).

I have never eaten smallmouth, but I have eaten walleye.  I would expect smallmouth on the table to compare to spotted bass or maybe bluegill.  Tom, I'll wager that those fresh smallmouth fillets were about as good as you could want out of a shore lunch, yes?

farmerdoug

Smallmouth are alot like bluegills but when they are pulled from their perferred ice cold water they are in another class theirselves. :)
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Tom

Yep!  Couldn't have asked for a better dinner.

Most of the other fishermen/campers were after Northerns (pike).
I through a lure for a couple of days just to catch one, but the Small Mouth Bass made the trip.

Thank You Sponsors!