iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old sawmill

Started by iffy, November 28, 2007, 11:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iffy

I have a Lynn bandmill but it is still on a pallet in pieces. Recently I needed some beams cut out of a couple of ponderosa logs so I contacted a local guy with a circle mill to do it. He told me the mill was built by his father in the 50's because he needed lumber to build a large farrowing house. His father then started sawing for other people and ran it until he was in his 80's. His son is in his 60's and still runs it. Kind of a unique design, as he can saw with only the lower blade, or can kick in the upper blade for larger logs. It has been thru several engines. Is now running a John Deere 4 cyl.

Here is a picture of the carriage.

logwalker

What a beautiful mill. That guys is the "Last Of The Breed". Looks like he keeps it all in good working condition.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

beenthere

iffy
Is that one of your ponderosa pine logs on the carriage?

I like the log turner that is popped up in the second pic.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customsawyer

That is one of those oldies but goodies. I am always shocked at how smart some of these old farmers are they will take something that looks like trash and turn it into a thing of envy.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ron Wenrich

Notice the lack of sawdust laying around.  The place is pretty clean.

I was wondering where you're coming up with ponderosa pine logs in Kansas.  Are they yard trees?  I believe you're out of their range.  Heck, I didn't even know any trees grew in Kansas.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

sawguy21

There were a few in KC the last time I visited. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

iffy

In the picture of the carriage, you cannot see the loading ramp, but it is 2 H beams angled downward toward the carriage that extend outside the building. He can load up half a dozen logs or so at a time. He does keep it meticulously clean, as did his father.

Yes, that is one of my ponderosa pine logs on the carriage. I have about 60 more of them, and they did come from Kansas. They are dying out in an old cemetery. The sawmiller's son got a few of them before I got involved and his dad cut them 1" thick and they made them into paneling for one room in his house. Lots of knots. Beautiful wood.

The guy at the cemetery originally was talking about $15 a tree, but it's been two years and they are still coming and he hasn't charged me anything. I think he is just glad he doesn't have to chunk them up and haul them off.

I had two beams milled out of logs that had been in the stack for a year. Thought they might be dry enough to use. Wrong. I took them home and put them on a skid for a week or two until I was ready to use them. Sap was running out both ends and the sides, and I didn't want to put something like that in my wall. They were to be support posts on the gable ends for my ridge log. I took him a couple of dry logs left over from some changes on my house and those are now milled and in place.

I was getting nervous about getting all the ponderosa milled before it goes south on me, but if it is still that wet on the inside, I probably still have a little time.

Thank You Sponsors!