iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ozark County's Traffic Light

Started by Bro. Noble, April 26, 2003, 12:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

I'm sure that the rest of you are just as dissapointed as I am that the Arkansawyer and Whitepe neglected to get a kodac of Ozark Co's blinkin light.  Well all is not lost-------a lovely young lady and her bewhiskered husband from the forum wandered by this morning.  After a very enjoyable visit,  they left to see some old mills and promised to get a picture of our proof of keeping with the times.  I should have suggested that he get two shots------one with it blinkin on and one with it off. ;)

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Mark M

Dat's a DanG good idea Noble, udder-wise how wood we know dat it really blinks?

Mark

Bro. Noble

Mark,

I just hope there's no cars coming when he takes the photo.  There's just two roads in Gainsville and would you believe they put that light right over the place where they come together.  It makes it hard to enjoy the light cause you never know when a car might come. >:(

Noble

Haytrader

Noble,

I think I may know this picture takin guy yer referrin to. We met him and his wife, Arkansawyer and his wife and another couple at a WoodMizer feild day at Mt. Vernon, Mo. a year ago. Arkansawyer drug us off to a place to eat and someone mentioned a group picture. So we could all be in the picture, I went in the place of business that we parked in front of to see if I could find someone to take the picture. As I remember, it was a bridal shop and the young lady had only one customer and agreed to help us out. After taking the picture we of course thanked her and as she was retreating back into her shop, this picture takin guy must have slipped with the camera, cause he got a picture of her backside.
   Moral of the story............he may not get a picture of yer traffic light, cause his camera may slip again and all we'll see is a fire hydrant.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

P S     Maybe he'll take the hint and post the picture I was talkin about.... ;)
Haytrader

Bro. Noble

Haytrader,

Now if he were to slip and accidentally take a picture of some good looking girl it will look real incriminating :D  Boy what a let-down that would be when we are wanting to see Ozark Co's only traffic light :'(

Noble

chet

Around here a good look'n Butt can stop traffic better'n any DanG red light.   ;)  Only problem then would be to get traffic moving again.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Bibbyman

Trafic light at Gainsville, MO.  To get to Arkansaswyer's place,  take 5.  To get to Noble's,  take 5.  Just not the same way. ;D

Another angle.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

Thanks Bibb! 8)

Hey Mark,  notice two shots,  one on and one off! :)

I think they must have put that light up as a tourist attraction to DRAW traffic.  From the picture, it DonT appear to be too successful.  At least Bibb and Mary were able to enjoy it without having to look out for cars :D

Noble

whitepe

I bought gas at that Conoco!   :D
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Bro. Noble

Whitepe,

That's the 'Lick Crick Station"----------the very place where I met the Arkansawyer and where he got into a fuss with the Baker guy and intimidated the bikers :)  

Noble

Mark M

Hi Nobel,

Boy I'm glad Bibby got that picture. Not that I ever doubted your word about it flashing but there are some skeptics out there who might not have believed you. They always want you to "show them"  :D

Mark

Bibbyman

I don't know Mark. The light may be just a hoax.  With digital technology these days,  it'd sure be easy to fake.  I thought I seen the guy with the gun on the grassy knoll in the background. I know I seen a picture on this forum of a guy  with snow flying out of his butt. He had nothing on but a big grin. ;D
Sawing since '94

whitepe

Noble,
They've got a golf course in Pekin named Lick Creek.
It is quite a difficult course and there is a local saying.

"It takes balls to play Lick Creek"   :D

I was playing golf there one time with two other fellas from
work.  One of them brought along two six packs.
All twelve cans were gone by the 9th hole and I only drank
one of the twelve.  The guy who had seven of the twelve
was goofing around and rammed his cart broadside into
the cart I was driving at top speed.  I don't know how
but both carts had no damage other than a blown out
tire on my cart. I had noticed earlier in the day that
the tire was tread bare and you could see the cords
sticking out.  Fortunately we were behind the hill
before you could see the clubhouse and no one else
saw what happened or we would have probably been
kicked off the course. We walked to the clubhouse
and told them the tire blew out and they gave us another cart.
 :D

Bro. Noble

Whitepe,

That Lick Crick ran from Pekin to Marquette Heights where my family lived in Ellynoise.  I've spent a lot of time squirrel hunting,  mushroom hunting,  and just walking in the woods along Lick Crick.

Small World

Noble

Bibbyman

My Uncle Elmer  worked for CAT since WWII until retirement in early 1960's lived just north of Pekin in a little village called Wilbern that was to the west of Washburn.  We visited him one time in about 1958-1960.  First time I'd been out of Missouri. I've always call it ElleNOISE since that trip because Wilbern is near the Walbash railroad and the trains were always "highballin'" it past the town and blowing their horns at the road crossing.

I looked up Wilbern on TerraFly and it looks just the same as I remember it 40+ years ago. I could probably come within a house or two of picking his house on the one streat through the village.  Not too hard since there are only about a dozen.

Uncle Elmer
Sawing since '94

DanG

I see why you wear the bibs, now. Gotta cover up those bony little ribs, right? ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bibbyman

Yea,  I was pretty skinny up until the last 20 years. ::)

That picture was cut from a family group picture.  It hadn't occurred to me until I cropped it how me and Uncle Elmer stood with almost the exact same pose - me being a 1/5 scale copy.

Sawing since '94

Mark M

Noble's always trying to impress us with the Ozark's County Traffic Light, well I saw sumpin on Saturday that will beat that! It's the Amidon ND speed trap.

This tireless lady has been on patrol everytime I've been trough there for the last couple times, although she used to have buttons for eyes :D

She sits right across from the Slope County Courthouse, which happens to be the tallest building in Slope County. Slope county is our smallest county (population wise) with 887 people.

Mark

Bibbyman

They need to do a little better job of mowing around the tires.  Maybe check to see if they still have air in them.  looks like it's sinking. ::)
Sawing since '94

whitepe

One spring break we went to Hilton Head Island S.C.
We flew into Savannah, GA.  Fortunately someone
warned us about the "speed trap" in Bluffton, SC.
We cautiously drove through their 100 yards of
road about 10 mph below the speed limit.  
55 mph,  (then 20), then 55mph.  There's nothing there
except for a sinkhole into which traffic ticket money is poured.
:o  
This little community makes a fortune off the Hilton Head
Island tourists.

Bibbyman

We had the same thing at Mack's Creek south of the Lake of the Ozarks. Some 80%+ of the town's revenue came from traffic fines.

The highway didn't go though the town but skirted past the edge of it.  There was no reason to even slow down let alone lower the speed limit.

It got so bad and so well known that it even made 60 Minutes.   Large billboards were placed on each approach advising of the speed trap but still they had two cars out working that strip of highway full time.

The state had to pass some laws limiting traffic patrol of state highways through small towns.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!