iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HELP! How do you display wood for sale?

Started by DR Buck, December 23, 2007, 08:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

Over the last few years I've accumulated a fair amount of lumber.  Most of it has been kiln dried with the idea of selling it to woodworkers.  I'm beginning to run out of space and finding a good cost effective way to advertise has been difficult.  Our farm is not locate don the way to the mall.  ;D ;D    Recently I've  decided to try a different idea.   Take the wood to the woodworkers.  :D     I've contracted for a couple booths at the annual woodworking show held locally.   http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/    My plan is to advertise my portable saw milling service (woodworkers pay well) and sell my accumulated wood.  I plan to sell both rough saw'n and surfaced lumber, large slabs as well as some turning blanks.   I've got some time to get my act together but one of the first things I need to figure out is how to display the lumber.    Just stacking it is not the best way, especially if the customers want to pick and choose.   I thought building some sort of vertical display stand would be a good idea.  It would need to be strong enough to hold the weight of boards, stable enough not to fall over and easy to transport and assemble.    I will not be against a wall since these are premium (can you say HIGH PRICE?) spaces.     So what ever I can come up with need to be free standing.  I will have an area 10' x 20'.

I'm open for suggestions and ideas.   ???    Pictures would be great.  ;)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

metalspinner

Are the participants of this show mostly local? Can you have a sampling in your booth with matching larger quantities in the parking lot on the trailer?  How many species and grades do you want to bring with you?  If it's the woodworkers you are after those "special" bookmatches and slabs will certainly hold their attention.  What length are you talking about?  Something made with pipe and fittings will be less bulky than a wooden structure.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

DR Buck

Quote from: metalspinner on December 23, 2007, 08:50:01 PM
Are the participants of this show mostly local? Can you have a sampling in your booth with matching larger quantities in the parking lot on the trailer?  How many species and grades do you want to bring with you?  If it's the woodworkers you are after those "special" bookmatches and slabs will certainly hold their attention.  What length are you talking about?  Something made with pipe and fittings will be less bulky than a wooden structure.

I'm guessing mostly local participants (within 100-150 miles max).  I'm not really sure where they come from.  I've been attending for the last 8 years as a 'participant" not a vendor.  I do plan on having a load in the trailer, bringing in additional stock as needed.   Most everything is local species.   I should have 5 or 6 different available.   Red & White Oak,  Eastern Red Cedar, Walnut, Cherry, Poplar and Hickory.  I'll have some short (~4') 8/4 walnut crotch slabs, and some 6 -7 foot x 36"  8/4 white oak slabs.    The longest lengths will be 8', most will be less.

ellmoe

How about stacking boards "teepee" style, like when drying. As simple frame, such as a single pipe horizontal supported on each end would allow many boards to be stacked in a small area. Access is easy and randow width, thickness and height is not a problem.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

thecfarm

I would think for the show short pieces,maybe 4 feet would work the best.Might be hard to get 2 or 3 eight foot boards in and out of a crowd.Could you finish some with differant finishes to show how they look when done?Pictures of your sawmill would be a plus cutting logs.A short story about your buisness would be good.Could you have a helper out by the trailer to sell lumber?Don't forget the business cards.Good luck.Prabaly should have another person with you too.My wife and I gone to craft fairs selling aprons.Gets busy at times.Two people is a big help with alot of people stopping by asking questions.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodmills1

I would look for an A frame shaped material rack.  I see them at iron working and welding shops, where they are used for holding metal stock.  I think they are called horizontal bar racks.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Captain

Woodworking shows are a great way to get rid of wood.  Just ask SJH, he brought us some wood for a show in Buffalo once, and went home with quite a wad of cash in his pocket at the end...

Turning blanks, bookmatched and "character" pieces sold best.  Actually had a bidding war for a large spalted ambrosia wide slab as soon as it was complete.

Captain

oakiemac

I was also going to rent a booth a the "wood working show" but just never did it. I was going to do what metalspinner said. I was going to bring in a about 20bf of each type of wood and have the rest outside in an enclosed trailer with a helper outside. If someone ordered say 100bf of red oak then I'd call on cell phone to the trailer guy and he would get the wood then when customer showed up with invoice he would load him up.
One problem is that most people dont show up with trucks/trailers just cars so it might be good idea to just carry shorts and turning blanks but have a bunch of buisness cards and a brochure made up explaining your buisness. Buy on of those digital picture frames and display a bunch of pictures in a slide type display so that people will be attracted to your booth. Also wear a company shirt and maybe pass out small 3-5" long samples of your wood.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out for you. I'm still thinking of doing the same some day.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

bull

my dispaly is similar to a floor standing gun rack. 4' wide 3' tall. Holds 8, 6" wide 4' long boards
2 sides finished and 2 sides rough with boards standing upright. I had buisness cards that were printed with out the phone number and address*( mistake)*
The species is written in the blank and they are tacked to the top of the board.......... this display has been used for over 9 years at shows and fairs ... works quite well

DR Buck

Quote from: bull on December 25, 2007, 11:39:36 AM
my dispaly is similar to a floor standing gun rack. 4' wide 3' tall. Holds 8, 6" wide 4' long boards
2 sides finished and 2 sides rough with boards standing upright. I had buisness cards that were printed with out the phone number and address*( mistake)*
The species is written in the blank and they are tacked to the top of the board.......... this display has been used for over 9 years at shows and fairs ... works quite well

Any pictures?

jim king

Four foot samples and a turning blank selection inside and inventory in the truck or trailer.

bull

sorry no picture and the display is burried in the shed for the winter.... Jims display is pretty slick and a bit fancier

DR Buck

I finally came up with something for boards and for large slabs.   The link is to my post in the shows and events board.

Thanks for all the input.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,30184.0.html

Thank You Sponsors!