iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tunning Chip for my Duramax

Started by Norwiscutter, July 02, 2008, 11:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norwiscutter

Not sure if this is right for but here goes anyways...
Do these performance chips really net an actual gain in fuel economy?  When I bought my truck they were being marketed as performance chips suited for increased HP for towing and exceleration. Some of the companies out their are now claming fuel economy gains in the 15-20 % range. Doing the math, an extra 2-3 mpg might serve to justify the purchase for me. Right now I am paying roughly .25-.29 cents per mile. 
Anyone have any thoughts or experiences?
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

SwingOak

I looked into the same thing, and the general consensus on the truck boards is that any company that sells you a chip or programmer guaranteeing that you will see an increase in fuel economy is full of poop.

I wrote about what I did to improve fuel economy (and aslo talked about them here, in various posts) in my blog: http://fishdogsguns.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-get-better-fuel-economy.html

pineywoods

If your truck is equiped with one of them fancy MPG displays, it ain't hard to diddle with the calculations to make it show  a false gain in fuel economy.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Norwiscutter

Mine is the work truck version, so I don't have the fancy screen and am forced to do it the old fashion way.

That was kind of my assumption as well. If GM or Ford could tune their trucks to get 25 mpg, you would think they would be advertising the heck out of it.

Thnaks for the responses.

Ironwood

Chip in my FORD gave it a ton more power, and likely MPG as well. Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

I turned up my '99 Dodge from 235 hp 460 ft-lbs to 520 hp and 1200 ft-lbs. Used for around town driving (commuting to work) I would say there was no gain, possibly a drop. I blame it on the injectors, which are not boost sensitive and will pump a little soot if you are too heavy on the throttle at low boost pressures. When I started towing, it made a very big difference. I averaged about 18 mpg on a weekly basis. This included empty driving, towing the mowing trailer (3,500 lbs), and moving the Kubota (9,700-13,200 gross). I would say at least half the miles was moving the Kubota with backhoe, which is about 11,800 lbs. A heavy foot will negate any gains. With increased fuel prices, a chip may finally be at the point where it will pay for it self fairly quickly. As for actually getting ahead on fuel costs? smiley_headscratch

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwingOak

Quote from: pineywoods on July 03, 2008, 09:33:39 AM
If your truck is equiped with one of them fancy MPG displays, it ain't hard to diddle with the calculations to make it show  a false gain in fuel economy.

My results are based on actual fuel consumption compared against actual mileage, and calculated over a period of six months  so far. Done by calculator, not by a fancy on-board computer. The only options my truck has are the basic power options (windows, locks, driver's seat), and a locking rear. My tires are BFG All-Terrains, 265 75R 16, about 1" in diameter larger compared to the stock 245's. The 265's dropped the rpm's by about 100 in top gear, which by itself showed no measurable difference in fuel economy.

Toolman

I put an SCT Excalibrator tuner on my Ford Powerstroke 4 yrs. ago. I gained about 25% more fuel economy. I found that using the "maximum performance tune" gave me better fuel economy verses the "economy" tune. More power results in less engine wear. I have put 85,000 miles on this tune and consistently get 23-25 mpg on my rig. The less efficient an engine is the more wear it puts on it. When I first  bought this vehicle new I got 17 mpg. best on highway with black smoke when I accelerated at full throttle. Black smoke indicates too rich of fuel. SCT tuner gives proper fuel/oxygen ratio. That's important!! I add pure acetone and synthetic oil to my fuel and deleted my EGR system, which is a joke. I change oil filter every 2500 miles(clean oil is critical to good mileage), change oil every 7500 miles(Torco Oil only). Auto companies are,nt interested in keeping your engines efficient. Efficient engines require less maintenance and last longer. When I punch the throttle I get a light gray smoke, if that. My engine burns much cleaner with good mileage. The best mileage I got was 27.3 mpg  travelling to NC from southern PA last summer on I-95 heading to Outer Banks. I've proven this time and again. I don't care what anybody says. The EPA really sticks it to us with their policies.
Technically, my truck is illegal, but, according to local garages emissions testing equipment, my truck burns cleaner than EPA standards!! I even removed my cat converter and bypassed EGR system!! Need I say more

The EPA spends too much time managing the emissions of vehicles. If they spent their efforts on complete combustion of fuel, emissions would,nt be an issue. The more complete fuel burns, the cleaner the emissions. Real simple. Pure acetone is the secret.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Norwiscutter

Explane to me more the specifics of adding acetone and oil to the fuel. I have herd this before and am wondering if it truely worthwhile.

Toolman

Acetone is a hydro-carbon. It burns completely with virtually no emissions. When it is added to fuel it attaches itself to the fuel molecules allowing the fuel to give a more complete burn. My reasearch has found that adding 3oz to every 10 gal of gas is most beneficial. 3-5 oz. for every 10 gal diesel. I add 4 oz to my diesel fuel during summer, 5 oz in winter. Makes a perfect anti-gel. Pure acetone is best(Sally beauty Supply or any beauty supply place) about $16 gal. Hardware store Acetone contains benzoate which helps reduce evaporation(you don't want this!!)

As far as synthetic oil- ULSD does not have the lubricating properties without sulfur. This is hell on the injectors. I have not met one diesel owner lately that has'nt gone through an injector or two in past couple years. Most mechanics agree it  has alot to do with ULSD. Oil companies are now claiming that they are adding a lube in fuel, but, I don't trust them. They also claim to add anti-gel, however, I see guys with gelling proplems. ULSD has more parafin wax in fuel then before. Acetone, prevents that wax from gelling. I add 1 oz synthetic motor oil per 5 gals. The engine runs quieter and injectors stayed lubed. NEVER USE PETRO MOTOR OIL, ONLY SYNTHETIC. So far I have gone over 80,000 miles with no problems. Good mileage and clean emissions.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Fla._Deadheader

Suppose you can't get this "pure" acetone ???  The other causes what problems???

That small of an amount surely can't be that bad, can it ???

Synthetic blend won't work, either ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Toolman

From what I learned , the benzoate prevents the acetone from evaporting and complete combustion. Pure acetone is available at Wal-Mart, so I was told. The reason beauty supply Acetone is pure is due to it's use as a fingernail polish remover. No other chemicals are allowed to be added. Also, caution, this stuff will remove paint, just like gasoline. Avoid spilling on vehicle. I've done it, just wipe off immediately, did'nt rub any paint off yet.

As far as Synthetic blend, I learned that using petro oil in fuel, may cause a degree of coking, that's why synthetic is recommended.

Again, this what I experienced, and found it to be quite effective. I know others who do this and they get good results too.  My daughter bought a 98 Dodge Neon, had 47,000 miles on it. She got aroung 30 mpg on her vehicle. After about 3 tankfuls of acetone added, she is now up to around 50 mpg. This stuff really works.

I met through a friend of mine at a cookout last fall, a guy who is a retired fuel chemist. We got to talking about engines, etc. He retired from Boeing. He started talking about engine MAP systems and jet engines, etc. This guy was really knowlegeable. I asked him about this acetone thing. He smiled and said, I quote"oil companies hate to hear that". He started explaining the chemistry behind why it works so well. He also said back in the 50's and 60's oil companies added it to gasoline for efficiency. Around 1970, it was no longer added. It was sold seperately for other uses. Acetone is one of the first things that rise out of crude during the distillery process. It is one of many hydrocarbons that include, xylene, turpentine, and other light fuels that are highly flammable.  This guy taught me alot and confirmed it's beneficial properties.
He added it keeps your engine super clean. No carbon buildup and super clean pistons. He uses himself. He said it's a crime what is being held back from public. All to sell more fuel and increase profits. He said auto companies don't like it either, engines last too long while using this stuff.

Fla._Deadheader

I will do some checking, but, down here, in the Jungle, not much for availability. I can only find Blended Motor Oil, Castrol. No straight Synthetic. Really don't know about Acetone, since I don't DO my nails  ::) ::) ;D ;D  Thanks for the 'splainin.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Toolman

I know what u mean about the nails. Mine are either filled with dirt or chewed off :D :D 

SwingOak

You can find just as much information on the internet saying adding acetone doesn't work as you will saying it does.

Back in the day, I had a 1974 Roadrunner with the 400 magnum in it. After failing emissions testing, I filled it up with 109 octane racing gas, two gallons of methanol, two quarts of octane boost, leaned it out a bit, and sailed through emissions with flying colors. It made the tester's eyes water though, and when I found out later how toxic methanol is, I realized what a bad idea that probably was.

Anyway, I got great fuel economy - at least for that car - for just that one tank, and then after the next fill up every valve burned up, including the valve seats. They were 440 interceptor heads too, got 'em off a 1970 Dodge police car in the junk yard...

So you can keep adding that junk to your fuel if you want to. I'll stick with clean diesel.

Toolman

It's not junk. Plus, It sounds like way too much was added. If done properly, u should,nt even smell it when proper amount is added.

Too much will cause mileage to drop. But, good luck with your method, sounds like you found something better. ;D

stumper

I added the edge with attitude to my Dmax.  It added an extra mile per gallon trip driving.  Specifically it went from 20.5 mpg to 21.5 mpg.  It also adde power but I was looking for economy. 

Results will vary, but most do not see much gain in economy because they use the extra power and that negates any results.

If you do install the chip do not run it on the upper levels, unless you also want to invest in the tranny.

Do your own research before adding things to the fuel.  Most folks can see a slight gain by adding lubricity to the LSD.  Those gains are tough to quantify because the gain is slight.  In the summer I add lucas, in the winter I add an anti-gel with lube.  I do both to increase the longevity of the engine and fuel system.  I have found it is a wash in economy.

Go to http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php?  and you can read up till your eyes bleed.  These guys are serious about there trucks, and they do not accept claims with out independent proof.

Good luck and enjoy a great truck.

Wallys World

What about using acetone in ethanol enriched (10%) gasoline? I would like to try it in my '04 Chevy Silverado 5.3l to see what happens. I have read some articles, but none address the ethanol gas mix. I will be trying the acetone and synthetic oil in my '97 Ford F250 PSD.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Toolman

Absolutely. Acetone is very beneficial with ethanol blend. Buddy of mine uses it also in his boat in Delaware. Delaware requires ethanol in all gasoline. The marine guys are having less problems since adding acetone. 3 oz to 10 gal.

Thank You Sponsors!