iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Possible problem with hydraulic splitter?

Started by Warbird, September 21, 2008, 12:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

Wasn't sure where to post this, so figured here would be all right.

I was splitting some wood for an elderly gentlemen yesterday, using my gas powered hydraulic splitter.  I was going pretty fast, not letting the ram cycle the full length.  Split a full cord without the ram cycling full length.  When we were done, I let the ram retract fully.  Once the handle 'popped' (normal once the ram is fully retracted), I noticed a whole bunch of hydraulic fluid spew out of the vent in the cap.  The old boy we were splitting the wood for said that was normal if the ram hadn't been fully cycled in a while because it got air in the lines.

Is this true or is there something I should be checking out?

Also, this splitter has a trailer hitch and wheels but it has no shocks.  Taking it long distances troubles me because it really bounces around back there.  It's a tough splitter (has a Briggs and Stratton engine) but I am still concerned that all that bouncing around isn't good for it.  Should I limit the long trips with it or will it be okay?

sawguy21

Your friend could be right. Was the ram  fully retracted when checking the oil level? It needs to be to prevent over filling.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Warbird

Yes, the ram was fully retracted when I checked the levels before taking it out to help the guy.  However, it may have been slightly overfilled because the dipstick is attached to the cap.  The cap is actually kind of like a bolt that I have to use a crescent wrench to tighten and unscrew.

I've always wondered if I should check the level with the thing screwed down all the way or with it unscrewed.  I'd been filling it to the line without screwing it down, and now since it puked some out, it is exactly on the line when the cap is screwed down all the way.

Dunno if any of that makes sense but there ya go.  :)

Tom

I doubt that you got air in the lines, but the overfilling might have caused it.   Hyraulic fluid expands a whole bunch when it get warm If you were using it heavy, you might have heated it enough to overflow if it was on the verge of it when cold.

Open systems don't have much trouble with air and will purge themselves.   I wouldn't worry about it.  :)

mike_van

What Tom said.  As far as towing it,  what else can you do? Up in the back of the truck if it's really bad I guess.  Maybe let a little air out of the tires to soften the ride a bit.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

sawguy21

They are not designed to be towed at high speed, 45mph is usually a safe limit.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Our splitter is now transported in a trailer...no more towing on the road.

Shakes the be-jeepers out of it, and I was tired of trying to keep the muffler/air cleaner/welds in one piece. There are four of us that share ownership, and it is the new rule for transporting.

It is still running pretty good after 23 years and a lot of wood. Another rule is that the throttle is not wide-open.  A bit slower on the ram, but still running the same original 8hp B&S.

Burped out oil once when over-filled. Put a riser pipe on the breather/fill pipe to help contain the oil when on a slight slope.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

Thanks for the info guys.  Tom, we used it fairly heavy, splitting about a cord of wood in an hour.  The ram definitely got warm.

I've already promised to let a friend from church use it so after that, I'll cut down on how often it gets towed around.

cheyenne

fluid level is checked with the plug screwed in level with the top of the tube. No threads showing. May be time for new filter & fluid.........Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Thank You Sponsors!