iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hudson band sharpener

Started by Kubotaguy05, March 04, 2009, 02:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kubotaguy05

I ASK THIS QUESTION ALONG TIME AGO AND WAS WONDERING HOW MANY OF THESE SHARPENERS WERE OUT THERE AND WHAT COMMENTS GOOD OR BAD. i PURCHASED ONE A FEW YEARS AGO AND HAD A TOUGH TIME WITH IT AT FIRST. I GET ALONG OK WITH IT NOW BUT WHAT A LEARNING CURVE I HAD. i MADE A FEW MODIFICATIONS TO BETTER THE PROCESS. sTILL TO THIS DAY I CANT LEAVE IT ALONE I GOT TO BABY SIT IT THE WHOLE TIME IT IT IS WORKING. i DONT SAW ALL THE TIME. i HOPE TO MODIFY IT ENOUGH TO SAY IT IS A AUTOMATIC SHARPENER. LOOKING FOR COMMENTS. 

bandmiller2

Welcome Kabotaguy,first I'am confused,your handle says guy but theirs that girly pink ribon thing beside gender,I'am just old enough to get dissoriented.I don't think their are too many hudson sharpeners floating around ,I saw one years ago at the show in Bangor Me.I don't remember much about it ,looked a little jack leg,is that the one that uses the chainsaw grinder with linkages??Hang with us I'am sure someone here knows more than I.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

robnrob2

O.K. I own a Hudson, I would never buy another one or recomend a hudson sharpener to anyone, But I got it now, and at the time paid about 1250 for it I think,, it is under powered with a sowing machine motor, no weight on the head, so if it gets wound up to high {RPM's } it vibrates to much, the little round knobs they put on the adjustments are cheap,,,, Now the rest of the story,,,After buying the Hudson, later bought the Cooks dual tooth setter, what a great machine,, but with it came there video,, after watching and studying there sharpener I knew what to do to the hudson to improve on it and dial it in better,, 1st of all, the push finger that advances the blade push's about 2 teeth ahead of the one that is to be ground,, so I took some aluminum flat bar, 1/8" x 1/2' and fastened it to the original push finger and extended     it 1 3/4"  to push the tooth to be ground, I had to use countersink machine screws, as it had to be flat on the bottom,,,I took off the lil round knob on the push finger adjustment and welded on a piece of 3/8" round bar so I could adjust that easily,, then I took off the lil round knob on the grinding depth adjustment and welded the same there,, and I noticed that cooks has a heavy weight on the grinding head, to keep it down probably as well as other reasons,, so I was able to add some lead weight to it and it helped a lot,, cant add to much or the cam wont lift it,,,I can leave it alone now, but when I 1st start a band on it have have to just slightly dial it each time,, it does a good job now, ,, I visited Cooks last summer and saw thers in action,, and they take a lenght of band balde say about 3' long and they dial thers in with a sample band,,, good idea,, so I save a damaged or broken band just for that,,, I'll get a picture here when I can figure out the forestry forums setup.

robnrob2

Heres a picture er two,

nuther picture proving you can get them to work, but for the same money you could buy Cooks Amish sharpner and add your own motor, and have twice the machine.

Fla._Deadheader

I played with one, recently, and it would work for 2-3 teeth, then grind one tooth right off, if you weren't watching it.  ::) ::)  There are better ones out there.  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

york

Hi all,

me thinks,i see this grinder on  E-BAY...in the past..Bert
Albert

Kubotaguy05

I dont know where the pink bow came from. That says nothing about me.I have a wife and kids. I am going to try to get rid of it.

Kubotaguy05

I found in my profile I was registered as a female I corrected that

els512

I've had a hud son for a year. I thought I was doing something wrong since I had to baby sit the band through the process.  One of my gripes was the lack of real instructions on how to set it up.  I had to look at their video on the website to figure out the positions of the adjustments.  The motor is much too small and is fastened with 2 small screws that vibrate loose.  I finally fixed the problem with a big hose clamp.  Even though it has problems, its doing an adequate job now that I'm used to it.

Jeff

Quote from: Kubotaguy05 on March 12, 2009, 02:53:04 PM
I found in my profile I was registered as a female I corrected that

That's a good thing to do, and hopefully painless. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!