iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wanted Sawyer: So Indiana or North Kentucky (Tell City area)

Started by seionage, February 27, 2009, 09:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seionage

Hi all,
Complete greenhorn here, looking to learn.

Is there a sawyer looking for free help? If you are in Southern Indiana or Northern Kentucky (Tell City, IN area) I'm willing to give you a hand if you can teach me the trade. I'd be more than willing to pull boards and do other monkey work for you, a few hrs a day, or during the weekend (I still have to work at my normal job) to learn the tricks of the trade.

Why do I want to do this?
My wife is in school for another year, and when we move back to the home state (WI), my dad is going to be retired. This is something my dad and I talked about doing, but really know nothing about.  We've cut wood all our life, but never sawed any lumber. We always took the logs to an old timer who ran an old Wood Mizer. He has since passed on, and no one in our area does small jobs anymore. We were thinking of doing something like this together.   

So, if you are willing to teach someone, I'd like to learn. You get free help, and you won't have to worry about me 'stealing' business from you, because I won't be around here in a year.

Or, if anyone knows of any sawyers in the area, I'd appreciate you sending them my way.

Thanks!
Dave

WH_Conley

Well, come on up. If you can stand the cussing when ther ain't enough logs, or too many logs or not the right size logs. :D :D

I can't teach ya nothing, if you want to watch, help and ask questions you will learn.

Boy I could sure use some (free ;D) help.
Bill

seionage

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, it looks like you are about 4 1/2hrs away. Otherwise I would.

-Dave

WH_Conley

Naaah, when I worked construction, on a Monday Morning it was a 5 hour drive, on Friday it was about 3 1/2.

We have  some members close to you, they will be along directly. Glad to have you along for the ride.
Bill

Polly

you might give warren a call over at falmouth ky he is about 45 min from cincy he is a forum member ;) 8)

pigman

I am about 2.5 hrs from Tell City. I don't saw on a regular basis, but I could line up some logs to saw if I had some free labor. ;)  I don't think I could teach you much about sawing , but I am good at showing someone how to make mistakes. :(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Warren

seionage,

There a lot of good folks here on the Forum.  If you are serious about gettnig into the wood business, you might consider spending a part of a day with several members.  Everybody's set up is a little different.  You can pick up something that might work for you from each set up.

I saw most Saturdays.  You're welcome to come up and help, hang out, ask questions, etc.  (zipcode 41040) Might even shame WH into coming over and fussin' and fumin' with us.    :D :D :D

However,  Mapquest says you're only about an hour away from forum member CedarMan.  If you want to see the true possibilities, with current Woodmizer and Baker bandsaw equipment, you need to ask CedarMan for a couple hours of his time to see his operation. He is a fount of knowledge regarding the wood business...  And an all round good guy...

Send me a PM if you are interested in coming this way some Saturday...

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Cedarman

Aw, Gee, Warren, thanks for the compliment.  Seionage, give me a holler, I am just 4 miles north of Marengo.  You go up 37 to I 64, east to 66, north to Marengo.  The mill runs from 7 to 3:30   five days a week.  I am usually around other times.  We have a wide variety of equipment and do a lot of different things.  Started with just a manual LT 30 in 83 and keep on expanding.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

DR_Buck

Quote from: pigman on February 28, 2009, 11:17:17 AM
I am about 2.5 hrs from Tell City. I don't saw on a regular basis, but I could line up some logs to saw if I had some free labor. ;)  I don't think I could teach you much about sawing , but I am good at showing someone how to make mistakes. :(

Bob,

I think you'd wear the fella out just listening to you.       :D ;) :D ;)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

MaddiesDad

Does it have to be a band mill?  If you need a circle mill I know I've got someone around there that does that that would gladly help.  I don't know of many bandmills, etc around that area.

seionage

wow.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Cedar. I think I will definitely look you up.  I make take a few other up on their offer. Depends upon if I can make a day out of it.

MaddiesDad: No, it doesn't have to be a band saw. Right now, I know enough to be dangerous. So any knowledge will help.

Feel free to pass that info along.

Thanks!

Polly

the more i learn the less i realize i know  ::) ::) just a personal thought :)

Faron

We are in Otwell, IN.  I saw Saturdays quite a bit.  You might learn what not to do. ;)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

semologger

There is a mill just north of tell city. Its close to the interstate. There is a wood working shop on the right and the mill is just acros the road.  Just go in Orchelns there at tell city and ask for directions from the manager. Its her kin folks. They seemed to be pretty nice.

flip

I'm in Jasper and have a bunch of stuff to cut up just don't know what weekend I'm going to get to it.  Send me a PM sometime.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

flip

Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

seionage

Thanks for all the great replies.  I'm looking forward to meeting some of you here.

Cheers!
Dave

toolman18

Just FYI, if you know where the Hancock County High School is between Hawesville and Lewisport, turn in front of the school drive  about 3 miles turn right on Oak road and there's a guy on your right with a little operation.  You can be there in 10 min from T/C.

Darin

Hey WH

The next time I make it to Carter Co. I wouldn't mind coming by and hearing your cussing. Maybe I could learn some new words!

The last time I was in, I had just bought a new sawmill. After I got it put togather, I got a total of two days sawing, so I'm about as raw as they come.

WH_Conley

Bill

Darin

Hey WH

The next time I come in I will give you a shout. Best guess at this time is second week of June.

Darin

seionage

Just wanted to give a big "Thanks" to flip.

Spent the entire day with him milling some logs on his B-20. Had a great time.  Super friendly, and took time out of the day to explain things to me.

Thanks a bunch!
Dave

Thank You Sponsors!